Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: First Setup for Imaging DSO  (Read 216 times)

Offline Z3roCool

First Setup for Imaging DSO
« on: 23:09:42, 09 January, 2018 »
Hi there everyone - just wanted a bit of advice on first setup for imaging DSO. This will be the primary use for this setup.

Mount   - EQ5 Pro GOTO or HEQ5 Pro GOTO
Have come to the above choices. Not 100% on mount. Would like to go HEQ5 so I can upgrade scope in future and not worry about payload, but budget may force me to go with the EQ5.

Scope   - William Optics GT71 with WO Field Flattener (http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/william-optics-gt-71-f59-triplet-apo-refractor-ota-with-wo-field-flattener.html)
Chosen the William Optics GT71 as wanted a small scope to begin with and nearly went with the Orion ED80T CF scope.

Guiding - Altair GPCAM2-130 Mono with 60mm Scope (https://www.altairastro.com/Altair-60mm-Guide-Scope-GPCAM2-Camera-COMBO.html)
Not so sure on Guiding but want something that does a good job. May go with the 50mm scope. Any recommendations on alternatives?

Will be using the setup away from power so will need a good power supply. Any recommendations?

If anyone has any views on the above, I would really appreciate some input, if okay, or what you would do different. Budget needs to be around the £2k mark. Anything  I have missed?

Many thanks for your time,

Tommy.

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Re: First Setup for Imaging DSO
« Reply #1 on: 09:12:38, 10 January, 2018 »
Hi Tommy and welcome to UKAI.

HEQ5 over EQ5 - very different beasts. Going the extra mile for the HEQ is a definite recommendation from me. The mount is more important in many ways than the scope
GT71 is a nice scope but so is an ED80 and would trim a few £ of your budget. Loads of top quality images taken with an ED80!
Personally I would go with a 60mm guide scope over 50mm. The Altair setups are solid.
Dont forget dew heaters & controller, adapters etc.

Power is a tricky one but don't expect the Celestron power tank type things to last too long when its cold and everything is running. You might just get enough out of one to last as long as your laptop battery. The big Tracer LiFePo batteries are very good but very £££ and when they fail they just stop.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Z3roCool

« Reply #2 on: 12:10:12, 12 January, 2018 »
Thanks Chris for the reply.

Looks like it is the HEQ5, kind of come to that decision also in the last 2 days.

Still weighing up between the ED80 and GT71...keep going between them  :D

Cheers,

Tom.

Offline mcgillca

« Reply #3 on: 14:03:39, 18 January, 2018 »
Dear Tom,

You don't mention a camera - are you thinking about using a DSLR? That's a great place to start.

On the guiding, I've recently been using an Off axis guider from ZWO - I was a bit surprised at how well it all worked (there is a bit of play in the guider stalk), but this is relatively inexpensive (~ £120) and takes away a lot of the worry about differential flexure between the two scopes, and how you mount the guide scope securely.

You will definitely find used HEQ5 mounts around which will take several hundred pounds off the cost, and you may well find used scopes (I'm using a used WO Star 71 which works well and gets away from the need to have  a flattener too).

Colin
Main scope: Ikharos 8" RC
Camera: Atik 460ex with Atik EFW and Baader LRGB Ha, OIII and SII filters
Guide scope: On Axis Guider with Atik 314L+
Mount: Paramount MX located in Astrocamp, Nerpio, Spain

Offline Z3roCool

« Reply #4 on: 23:55:55, 19 January, 2018 »
Dear Tom,

You don't mention a camera - are you thinking about using a DSLR? That's a great place to start.

On the guiding, I've recently been using an Off axis guider from ZWO - I was a bit surprised at how well it all worked (there is a bit of play in the guider stalk), but this is relatively inexpensive (~ £120) and takes away a lot of the worry about differential flexure between the two scopes, and how you mount the guide scope securely.

You will definitely find used HEQ5 mounts around which will take several hundred pounds off the cost, and you may well find used scopes (I'm using a used WO Star 71 which works well and gets away from the need to have  a flattener too).

Colin

Hi Colin - I am going to be using my Canon 7D to begin with. I have left it a bit late to order my scope now for going away to Morocco so am going to wait until I get back and the weather gets better!

Looking at hooking up my Canon 400L on a side by Side mount and maybe try my Dads Canon 500L if it fits! Looked at the OAG also and looks a good possibility when I get my scope

Think I will treat myself to a new mount as I think the main starting point to begin with and will keep for some time :) May look at the belt mod also.

The Star 71 sure does look a nice scope...maybe will save up a little more and see what happens :)

Cheers,

Tom.

Offline a301kod

« Reply #5 on: 01:54:34, 21 January, 2018 »
Dear Tom,

Colin

Hi Colin - I am going to be using my Canon 7D to begin with. I have left it a bit late to order my scope now for going away to Morocco so am going to wait until I get back and the weather gets better!

Looking at hooking up my Canon 400L on a side by Side mount and maybe try my Dads Canon 500L if it fits! Looked at the OAG also and looks a good possibility when I get my scope

Think I will treat myself to a new mount as I think the main starting point to begin with and will keep for some time :) May look at the belt mod also.

The Star 71 sure does look a nice scope...maybe will save up a little more and see what happens :)

Cheers,

Tom.
Get an Ed 80. You will not regret it. It is a much more versatile scope

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook