Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: polar aligned  (Read 587 times)

Offline clive

• Poster God
polar aligned
« on: 20:51:13, 23 November, 2014 »
it looks like im polar aligned about 7 minutes in south and 7 minutes east when looking through my eye peice the star was moveing a little bit to each side and then it goes back to the center what iv e read its the worm period  ill check on next clear nite my back s to bad to carry on to nite thanks to chris lx 200 and roger for the infor   i thould i couldnt do it because my mount was out of level   from here on i suposs the fun begins when i have a go auto guiding thanks 

Offline griz11

• Starting Member
Re: polar aligned
« Reply #1 on: 16:05:11, 09 December, 2014 »
Check a couple of things. First worm to gear clearance. Sounds like it might be a bit loose allowing the gear to rock a little. Check your balance. You don't want it in perfect balance. You want it to pull against some weight as it moves across the sky. Doesn't have to be a lot but when its pulling against the weight it will keep the gear against the worm so it can't wiggle around. There is always some clearance or it will bind but if you have too much and its not balanced it can create havoc.

Griz
Losmandy StarLapse and Dec Module -- Argo Navis -- Canon 7D and 7DMkII -- EF400 f5.6L USM -- EF40 f2.8 STM -- EF70-200 f4 USM -- Tamron SP 70-300 f4-5.6 VI DC -- ADM dual saddle -- Mini Borg guidescope -- Lodestar guider astrobin.com/griz11 pbase.com/griz11

Offline mechanoid

Re: polar aligned
« Reply #2 on: 14:17:26, 11 December, 2014 »
I always aim for as perfect a balance as I can, in all orientations.  That way friction will always oppose the motion for either axis, keeping a near constant load between gears.  If you don't, then there is the danger that there may be some orientations where the imbalance assists the motion. That you don't want !

Dave
Skywatcher Quattro 200mm C/F, Vixen GPDX, QHY10
Skywatcher ST80, QHY5II, PHD2
Images Plus

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook