Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsAPT

Author Topic: Refining my rig after moving into AP from Visual only...SynScan handset question!  (Read 303 times)

Offline stars_are_cool

Hi all,

Having moved into AP, how useful is my SynScan handset going to be if I’m using a laptop for slewing to targets?

I think I want PRISM, but it’s quite costly, so I’m considering selling off the handset to help fund buying the PRISM software - sensible move, or one I’m likely to regret?

Thanks all.

Graham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graham.

William Optics ZS61 (...more refractors to follow!)
Skywatcher HEQ5-Pro
Laptop (image processing in StarTools), i7 16gb RAM, SSD

Offline Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
Never heard of Prism, most people tend to use EQMod to control the mount.   Those that do swear by it and never use the handset. 

I on the other hand still use the handset as I have found USBs to be a problem if I need more ports than I have on the laptop, but if you're fine with that sort of stuff, no reason why you can't get rid of the handset.

Carole
Mount: NEQ6 (on pier), HEQ5 (for astrocamps),  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO, Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 450D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

Offline stars_are_cool

Never heard of Prism, most people tend to use EQMod to control the mount.   Those that do swear by it and never use the handset. 

I on the other hand still use the handset as I have found USBs to be a problem if I need more ports than I have on the laptop, but if you're fine with that sort of stuff, no reason why you can't get rid of the handset.

Carole

Thanks for getting back to me Carol! Very helpful :-)

Best,
Graham

Graham.

Skywatcher HEQ5-Pro

Online Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
I got rid of my handset years ago and went to the EQMod route,  Slews are bang on every time. 

Rog
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
My EQ6 was the syntrac version anyway so didn't have a handset... however, I still went with EQMod and have never looked back  ;) :thumbup:
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline stars_are_cool

I got rid of my handset years ago and went to the EQMod route,  Slews are bang on every time. 

Rog

Then it’s settled!
Bye bye handset...

Thanks Rog :-)

Graham.

Skywatcher HEQ5-Pro

Offline stars_are_cool

My EQ6 was the syntrac version anyway so didn't have a handset... however, I still went with EQMod and have never looked back  ;) :thumbup:

Thanks mate!!

Graham.

Skywatcher HEQ5-Pro

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Don't get rid of it totally though Graham (i.e. don't sell it)... it will still come in handy if you go "mobile" and don't / can't use a laptop to control the mount.

Because EQMod is ASCOM compliant it opens you to whole new world of software options e.g Stellarium with Stelleruim Scope for planetarium GoTo capability etc. or even using it with APT for plate-solving.

Have to say I hadn't heard of PRISM before... looks pretty comprehensive, but it could be argued it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Good luck.
S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline stars_are_cool

Don't get rid of it totally though Graham (i.e. don't sell it)... it will still come in handy if you go "mobile" and don't / can't use a laptop to control the mount.

Because EQMod is ASCOM compliant it opens you to whole new world of software options e.g Stellarium with Stelleruim Scope for planetarium GoTo capability etc. or even using it with APT for plate-solving.

Have to say I hadn't heard of PRISM before... looks pretty comprehensive, but it could be argued it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Good luck.
S.

I’m no more than 3 months into AP, but very much hooked at this point!

You’re right about PRISM, to be honest.
I would need the “pro” version too, as the “lite” version can only control a single CCD.

I need to update my equipment list on here...

Having moved almost completely away from visual now (sold off my older Skywatcher 130) and with using a laptop now (still working through the software), got more familiar with StellariumScope/Stellarium, StellariumScope wasn’t working well on windows 10, I’m not a fan of 10 anyway, so I installed 7 and it’s much more stable.
I did have a canon 600d, but rather than modding it I sold it off (to help fund buying other gear..) and got the CCD’s, a mono guide-CCD and a colour CCD.
I’ll be in the garden mostly, and in the farmers field when the kids are in bed ;-)
Next step is a pop-up tent so I can stay out for longer periods (while I wait for a break in the whether) and keep the laptop safer from dew etc...
I’m in South Manchester, the wrong side of the Pennines for astro!! (typically wet weather). So, I’m quite mobile with the laptop.

Renovating our house within the next 2 years, so I’ve plans for a Dome once we’ve felled the enormous sycamore blocking a view of the skies to the South...

Cheers!
Graham

Graham.

Skywatcher HEQ5-Pro

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Sounds like you're having fun Graham ;-)

On the subject of keeping your laptop safe.... if you get yourself a 4port hub and a 15m USB extension cable then with EQMod / ASCOM you can control everything remotely from the warmth of your sofa ;-)

Which CCD do you have ?

S.
Simon

Offline stars_are_cool

Sounds like you're having fun Graham ;-)

On the subject of keeping your laptop safe.... if you get yourself a 4port hub and a 15m USB extension cable then with EQMod / ASCOM you can control everything remotely from the warmth of your sofa ;-)

Which CCD do you have ?

S.

Cheers, yes, loads of fun!!
Good call on the long cable, I guess they still work well over longer distances(?). I had thought of WiFi at one point but dropped the idea down to the added expense.

I have a mono gpcam2 for guiding, I sold my 600d a couple of weeks ago and I’m eagerly awaiting a hypercam 183C (Altair), has been delayed slightly as they as upgraded to a “version 2” model...the version 1 wasn’t on sale for long or I would have had that, in fact I got it a little cheaper than they’re selling them for now ;-) I’ve been looking into filters for it...has a 2” noisepiece, I think you replied me on another thread about that.

PS. Regarding tents, I’ve just discovered hides for night fishing, and they look ideal! I’m always looking at re-purposing things...carp fishing bivvy’s look great.

Graham.

Skywatcher HEQ5-Pro

ukbuysellUKAI on FacebookSharpSkyblankSponsorship Opportunity
TinyPortal © 2005-2012