Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Is the Celestron Astromaster 114EQ right for me?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline CraigC90

Is the Celestron Astromaster 114EQ right for me?
« on: 00:03:29, 27 November, 2013 »
I'm hoping to take pictures through this telescope by mounting a small bridge camera to it and taking 15 second exposures, do I need a "Celestron Astromaster Motor Drive" to track objects so I don't end up with star trails or can I get away with not using a motor drive? Maybe a bit of a repetitive question but I've seen a hundred different opinions on this and just want some no BS advice so I don't fork out £40+ on something I don't need.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
    • Stoneage Observatory blog
Re: Is the Celestron Astromaster 114EQ right for me?
« Reply #1 on: 00:16:59, 27 November, 2013 »
at a focal length of 1000mm you have to have motorised tracking, you will see star trails in under a second if you don't. The only object you could possibly hope to image without a motor would be the moon.

Offline Bazzaar

• Poster God
« Reply #2 on: 02:20:56, 27 November, 2013 »
Some no BS advice?
Get a better scope.
The Astromaster 114EQ is a cheap beginners scope that is ONLY good for visual use.
It is lightweight and flimsy and the eyepieces are junk.
It is the sort of scope you get to see if you are serious enough about astronomy to get a good scope.
You cannot image with it, not with a bridge camera, with or without the motor unit.
A camera will seriously unbalance it.
The motor unit for that scope is intended to keep an object in the field of view for VISUAL use only.
It doesn't have the accuracy for imaging.
You wont be able to get focus with a DSLR or bridge camera attached to it.

On the plus side;
You should be able to image the moon and Jupiter using a webcam, yes seriously, a webcam.

Barry
Tal 200k, SW 200P, iOptron iEQ45 pro, HEQ5 pro, QHY5III174m, QHY5L II mono, Samsung SBC 2001, SharpSky focuser, Zwo ADC,  Celestron 15x70 bins,

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #3 on: 08:31:29, 27 November, 2013 »
Craig

Barry's BS free advice is pretty much on the money. Moon and Jupiter with a webcam is pretty much the limit. You are much better off using the lens and camera on a tripod and taking some very widefield shots at a lowish sky elevations from east through south to west (where things are moving at a slower linear rate). Keep below 10-15 second exposures and the trailing will be pretty minimal.

If you want to move on again a Skytracker is a much better use of funds.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #4 on: 22:16:08, 27 November, 2013 »
Yep, save up your cash for a setup that wont dissapoint. If you want to get into astrophotography you need to begin with a solid foundation, such as the HEQ5 as a minimum. Then budget for an 80ED with a DSLR as a starter, add to that a small guide setup, a budget of approx 1.5k should get you started if you hunt around
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #5 on: 22:36:25, 27 November, 2013 »
Yeap, save ya money Craig and as Ade says save up for a setup that delivers to your expectations.

Out of interest, what's your area of interest (planets, moon, DSO's etc) ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline CraigC90

« Reply #6 on: 23:21:41, 27 November, 2013 »
My areas of interest are basically whatever I can get a good pic of lol I'm just dabbling for now as after new year I'm gonna start saving for a motorbike then maybe after that I'll start looking at better setups.

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #7 on: 02:39:32, 28 November, 2013 »
 Craig, for a good starter kit, check out the post I made in your other thread.  The minEQ should be closer to affordable.
PLEASE REMOVE ME

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook