Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsAPT

Author Topic: One night in Happisburgh with Milky Way, Northern Lights & rising Moon from sea  (Read 70 times)

Offline rofus

• Astrophotography between a song and an album
    • The Ski.es Astrophotography Gallery
A couple of weeks ago (ish) there was a huge aurora alert when the big sunspot erupted. As the weather for the evening was going to be 20/30% cloud cover we decided with my gf to do the usual 30 min drive to Happisburgh and spend the night there trying to get some nice night shots.

I decided to go light, still waiting for my Astrotrac we just brought my modded Canon 6D, the Nikon D750 unmodded and two sturdy Manfrottos together with some food and stuff for the night...below the results.

Was somehow liberating to not have to use or setup any tracking mount but only a static simple tripod...I used the modded Canon 6D with Canon with Canon 24-105 f4 L lens and Magic Lantern for the intervalometer...wanting to get enough subs (10sec each) of the Milky Way behind the Lighthouse, and then possibly some far away Northern Lights later at night before dawn and/or between clouds. I got about 20 to 30 subs for each to stack and reduce noise, each 1600iso, using StarryLandscapeStacker and Pixinsight for the final result.

Milky Way with Lighthouse:

And then the Moon started emerging from the sea, clouds cleared a bit and started shooting North to see if there was any Northern Light activity visible in the screen...and it was indeed very evident!

It was one of the most memorable astro nights I can remember recently, so simple and yet so enjoyable.
AA 8" RC + AT Flattener, SW Esprit 100 + SW Flattener, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
Canon 6D modded, Nikon D750 unmodded, ASI174MM-COOL, SX Lodestar X2, ASI120MM
Canon & Nikon various prime lens
SW HEQ5 Rowan Belt Mod, AA 60mm Guidescope, Astrotrac, SW Star Adventurer
Mac 15" Retina Parallels: EQMOD, PHD2, SGP, PlateSolve2, BYN, CDC, Pixinsight, Photoshop
William Optics binos, Baader Hyperion eyepieces, Meade & Celestron binoculars
http://theski.es

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
Great shots from a great location. I heard reports of Aurora sightings on the very north Norfolk coast but not as far down as Happisburgh so you did well.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo

Offline rofus

• Astrophotography between a song and an album
    • The Ski.es Astrophotography Gallery
Yeah I was not really keeping my hopes high about Auroras, more for weather to clear up as it was a nice moonless night..then when the Moon started emerging I decided it all a shot and although they were faint and far on the horizon (as only the violet top was visible) they were definitely there!

I love Happisburgh, at any time of the day is the place where I always go, be either for music photo shootings or videos or for astrophotography.

I was there on Saturday (10 degrees!) with my brand new Astrotrac, and as first light with it I was totally amazed...I got a nice portable setup (280mm f5.6 fixed lens perfect across Canon 6D mod full frame) and the Astrotrac do wonders unguided so I'll visit there much more often to get very low objects or generally speaking clear skies.

Would be great to organise sometimes a meeting there if you or others also have some sort of more portable setup, is very comfortable with tables etc. and really all dark all around and free on low horizon.
AA 8" RC + AT Flattener, SW Esprit 100 + SW Flattener, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
Canon 6D modded, Nikon D750 unmodded, ASI174MM-COOL, SX Lodestar X2, ASI120MM
Canon & Nikon various prime lens
SW HEQ5 Rowan Belt Mod, AA 60mm Guidescope, Astrotrac, SW Star Adventurer
Mac 15" Retina Parallels: EQMOD, PHD2, SGP, PlateSolve2, BYN, CDC, Pixinsight, Photoshop
William Optics binos, Baader Hyperion eyepieces, Meade & Celestron binoculars
http://theski.es

Offline Nimbus

• Poster God
A couple of lovely wide field shots, nicely done. Jim
EQ8 Pro
TAK FSQ 106 EDX4
ATIK 16200 Mono & Lodestar OAG, EFW2 2" Filters
Focusmax4, Robofocus
Maxim DL6.13, CdC & Photoshop CS3E,

Offline PaulB

• Galactic Poster
  • Canis Major
    • Paul's Astronomy Pages
Very nice sky scape,

I like the way you have captured our Galaxy with the light house in the foreground.
Paul.
"Whirlpool Observatory"
Losmandy G11-Gemini L4.
Celestron C9.25.
Wm Optics ZS66sd
Megrez 80 ED II Triplet.
Orion OMC 140
Altair 115ED F7
Coronado PST
Atik 428EX.
QHY5L-II.
Modded Canon 1000D.