Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: basic question regarding exposure length  (Read 158 times)

Offline squreshi786

basic question regarding exposure length
« on: 18:40:20, 05 February, 2018 »
HI
I am able to get 10 minutes of subs with guiding and can push but limited by Light Pollution. I have a Losmandy G11 without any modification and can get get 2 minutes without guiding.
Question is would there be any added advantage of improving its physical ability to perform better now that I am able to get guiding giving me prolonged capture or is it all academic.

The other question is some what related re periodic error correction which I have never done but again do I really need it with my exposure needs now being met with guiding.

Currently I am using OSC Atik with an IDAS LP P2 filter and a typical example is attached. So should I invest in a better mount or PEC features or not bother.

Saqib
Losmandy G11, Gemini-1, GEMINI-ASCOM, Pole Master QHY, Takahashi TSA-102 F/8, Altair astro 60mm Guide scope (piggybacked). Loadstar X2 autoguider. PHD2 Autoguiding. Canon 600 T3 (Astronomiser modified). Pixinsight Processing

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Re: basic question regarding exposure length
« Reply #1 on: 19:35:23, 05 February, 2018 »
Saqib

If you can guide for 10 minutes, you can guide for an hour, its just more of the same. That said I am a great believer in having guiding do as little as possible so you can do long guide exposures, maximise signal and therefore centroid calculations and avoid chasing the seeing.

A lot depends on the shape of the PEC curve. G11's sometimes have some odd secondary harmonics that are short period variations and guiding struggles to keep up with them. At the very least I would have a look at the PEC curve and would probably apply one and see how it affects your guide graph.

Just my thoughts.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook