Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsAPT

Author Topic: Flat Calibration Wizard  (Read 218 times)

Offline richardcav

Flat Calibration Wizard
« on: 19:28:55, 16 July, 2017 »
Hi, I am using SGP together with my Starlight Xpress TRIUS SX-825 and I am attempting to use the Flat Calibration Wizard to get some flat files, using the SGP manual at...

http://mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/SequenceGeneratorPro.html?FlatsCalibrationWizard.html

I've bought an LCD panel http://www.leroymerlin.es/fp/19302136/panel-led-inteligente-inspire-gdansk-cuadrado-48w?idCatPadre=218961&pathFamilaFicha=470229 from a local DIY store here in Spain and have it set up connected to my scope but seem to have fallen at the first hurdle - I don't know the ADU for my camera - can anyone help?

Regards

Richard

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
Re: Flat Calibration Wizard
« Reply #1 on: 07:37:49, 17 July, 2017 »
I think you are good to go with this:
"Target mean: This indicates the ADU that you would like to obtain for your flats.  For CCDs this value is generally between 20,000 and 40,000.  Ideally you want to your flat data to fall in the area where your CCD behaves in a linear manner.  You man need to consult your CCD manufacturer to obtain this information, but typically CCDs behave linearly under 40,000 ADU."
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline richardcav

« Reply #2 on: 11:36:54, 19 July, 2017 »
Yes thanks Einari, I can see what it says in the link I sent, my question was what do I need to set for my specific camera, as on the face of it a range of 20,000 seems wide?  I've very new at this so please bear with me if I am asking stupid questions?  I have tried leaving the default (30,000) but each frame ends with a calibration error - hence my assumption that I need to change the setting of ADU - maybe I don't and I am doing something else wrong?

Any help appreciated as usual :-)

Richard

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #3 on: 12:28:38, 19 July, 2017 »
Richard

20,000 is fine for your camera. I tend to set it at 25,000 for my SX814 but either is fine.

The issue may be that the exposure range set in the wizard doesn't allow for an exposure that hits the target ADU. In all likelihood the light from the panel is too bright so the exposure range doesn't allow for a short enough exposure. Now you could shorten the lower exposure value in the range but I find with my LCD panel that a couple of sheets of white paper is the easier way of attenuating the light source a little.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo

Offline richardcav

« Reply #4 on: 12:30:46, 19 July, 2017 »
Perfect thanks Chris, very practical advice, I'll try that :-)

Regards

Richard

ukbuysellUKAI on FacebookSharpSkyblankSponsorship Opportunity