Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: NGC7635 image for C & C  (Read 1235 times)

Offline clive

• Poster God
Re: NGC7635 image for C & C
« Reply #15 on: 13:32:03, 08 February, 2018 »
Have a look at astroart  ive been useing it for a while  its very easy to use  and its very fast at stacking
 It cost 149 pound
First light optics

Clive

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #16 on: 14:34:12, 08 February, 2018 »
Thanks Clive - I think Carloe uses Astroart and says the same so will definitely look at that.  It's the phrase 'very easy to use'  I like!!

Annie
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

Offline Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
« Reply #17 on: 15:04:21, 08 February, 2018 »
Yes I use Astroart, its very fast.

I agree with the approaches in Levels and curves as described in your recent posts (recommended by Steve Richards) that's what i always start with.

I saw you mention Adam Block.  When I first started I bought a DVD of his on post-processing.  Making every Pixel count.
Much of it went way over my head to start with, but as time went by I got to grips with many of the amazing things he can do to bring out the best in an image.  I don't even need to refer to it any more, I could probably put it up for sale.

I had a little stretch and colour balance of the image you had started to stretch (the one that appears a little blue).  It's difficult working with a Jpeg, but I can see there is a fair amount of data there ready to be pulled out.

Mount: HEQ5,  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO,  SW130PDS
Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 1100D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK21, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #18 on: 15:29:44, 08 February, 2018 »
Yes Carole there is a lot to be brought out - am going to keep practising on it.  I bought Adam Block's 'Cosmic Canvas' . Mine came on a memory stick.  A fair bit is about CCD imaging but a lot of techniques can be applied to RGB and it's all done in photoshop apart from his stacking software which is a sophisiticated looking 'CCD Stack'.  The more I look at his tutorials  the more I tease out and he really does start with a few very basic essentials before moving onto more advanced stuff - something for everyone level.  Well constructed, logical progression, comprehensive and very clear presentation. It was Nimbus who first told me about it.  Not cheap but still good value I think.

Thanks for the processing and comments Carole.

Annie
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #19 on: 17:08:04, 08 February, 2018 »
...Have been working through some tutorials of Adam Block - 'Cosmic Canvas' and he uses something called 'CCD stack' - looks very sophisticated to me...

It is and to my mind overly complicated.

Chris

ps Adam in now a PixInsight convert :-)
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #20 on: 17:26:09, 08 February, 2018 »
It looked very complicated to me Chris  but then a lot of things to do with astrophotography look that way to me - well at least initially.

4 hours to upload a 162mb file  but here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ag9q07ge21l5qop/AAB_DLeTZQ3_z2VOTpSNsHk_a?dl=0

Annie

Offline Nimbus

• Poster God
« Reply #21 on: 17:32:18, 08 February, 2018 »
At the risk of causing an international incident or something even more important and to restore balance Adam uses both PS & PI. Handy when you have access to a mountain observatory and lots of expensive gear including software which come as part of ones job. But then I do love his work!

CS Jim
EQ8 Pro
TAK FSQ 106 EDX IV
ATIK 16200 Mono, Atik OAG, Atik EFW3 2" LRGB S2 8.0nm /Ha 3.5nm/O3 8.5nm, Baader Filters, Lodestar Guider, Focusmax4, Robofocus
Maxim DL6.13, CdC & Photoshop CS3E,

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #22 on: 19:26:56, 08 February, 2018 »
Annie

For a DSLR that is a nice widefield. Something a bit odd with the stars in the bottom right hand (lots of doubles/triples) so either you have some errant subs or DSS really is not working well.

Given a bit of love and care I got this out of it.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #23 on: 21:03:57, 08 February, 2018 »
Brilliant Chris - now I know what to aim for! Taken with modified Canon 550D that I had given to me and had to glue the grip back on! (And the Tak 106ed of course). I've had a look at some of my subs but will go back and check through them all now.  I have in any case been meaning to move to another stacker so now would seem a good time.

Thanks again Chris.

Annie

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #24 on: 09:02:20, 09 February, 2018 »
Annie

Looking at the stack again I do wonder if something is shifting in your image train. DSS is able to stack stars in the top left of the image but has increasing problems towards the bottom right. That feels to me as though the camera has tilted with respect to the rest of the train during the capture run. any chance of posting up a picture of your image train from focuser to camera. My money would be on the T-Ring. They often come in two parts with the tiniest grub screws know to humankind holding them together. If they are not nipped up tight, the two parts can move relative to each other.

Justa thought.

Worth checking through the subs and looking at the bottom right of each to see if this happens at all mid capture. Would be really helpful to see all the subs in this image but I realise that might be difficult with a slow internet connection...mine isn't much better!

Chris

ps stacking with software that includes distortion correction may well bring those errant stars into line whereas DSS will just try and match as many stars as possible as is.
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #25 on: 11:39:57, 09 February, 2018 »
Chris - have looked at all my subs and can see no sign of the the stars being anything other than fine - there seems to be little if any difference in their shape between any of them which would seem to suggest that there was no slippage in the imaging train though am happy to post a photo of it?  The change appears after stacking?  I think I'll go back and stack again with calibration files and perhaps once without flats and bias. If you think it will be helpful am happy to convert my subs to JPEGs and see if dropbox will upload them?

Am now minded to look more closely at some of the imaging I've done since the Bubble nebula!!! Am also going to look at Astroart and Astropixelprocessor and make a commitment to one of them.

Thanks for your help.
Annie

Offline Carole

• Poster God
« Reply #26 on: 11:45:19, 09 February, 2018 »
OK, stage 1, I processed your image using the following processes in Photoshop.
(N.B. Using a mono camera you could get far more detail out of it, but that's for another day).

1) Image adjust/levels, bring the back and grey sliders in to the histogram but not touching it.
2) Crop black edges
3) 2nd iteration of levels using grey and black sliders.
4) balance the colour
5) Change to 16bit (whoops missed that).
6) Curves, bring in black slider to histogram.
7) Curves (anchor B & W points and lift nebulosity
8) Image adj/match colour - increase colour intensity
9) Further stretch in curves again anchoring B & W points.

I will comment on the next post when I have uploaded the images to Astrobin regarding the issue with the stars (which Chris also found).

Annie, a comment on Astroart for stacking, I have only ever used it for stacking mono images, never had any success with stacking colour data, and I just googled it and it looks very convoluted for colour. 

Link to Astrobin to see larger version
https://cdn.astrobin.com/thumbs/gbTdueFRCeiX_1824x0_wmhqkGbg.jpg

Mount: HEQ5,  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO,  SW130PDS
Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 1100D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK21, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT

Offline Carole

• Poster God
« Reply #27 on: 11:59:00, 09 February, 2018 »
have looked at all my subs and can see no sign of the the stars being anything other than fine - there seems to be little if any difference in their shape between any of them which would seem to suggest that there was no slippage in the imaging train though am happy to post a photo of it?  The change appears after stacking?

That is bizarre.  I am not entirely convinced it is a tilt error as you would expect the stars to be elongated to one corner.

In the next image I have highlighted all the areas where the stars are mis-shapen and bizarrely the bottom right hand corner where you would expect it to be the worst - the stars are round.  Also I have never seen the misshapen stars extend accross the centre of the image with tilt.  Additionally the stars are not just elongated but they have a pair of stars either side of them.  If this was a dodgy  sub in the pile (moved through wind or nudging or something), it would be all over the image).

Something else is going on here and I am inclined to go along with your point that your original subs are OK but the problem happens after stacking.  I have seen some weird results previously with DSS.  I don't know what to suggest as an alternative for stacking, but maybe its time for the purchase of your Atik460EX so you can leave these troubles behind.

In the meantime if you can get the subs to Chris so he can try it in Pixinsight it would be a good step as we really need to find out what is really going on here. 

ignore plate solving lines on Astrobin.  As you can see the worst stars are not just confined to one Corner.

Here is a close up of the stars over the Bubble.  (Ignore the plate solving lines)

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #28 on: 12:07:51, 09 February, 2018 »
Annie

I dont think its anything to do with flats or bias, it is something of a physical nature. Most of the image stars are perfect but the bottom left corner is distorted. That is quite strange indeed.

How many image files (RAW) are there to upload to Dropbox? Pixinsight has tools to analyse such things but I'm a bit lost without the data.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #29 on: 12:18:34, 09 February, 2018 »
21 raw files Chris.  I can't think that it's anything to do with calibration files either.

Am happy to have a go at uploading the raw subs - it would be re-assuring to find out the cause.

Annie

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook