Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Short note on LIDL "Rocktrail" binoculars  (Read 16907 times)

Offline Astrogeordie

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
Short note on LIDL "Rocktrail" binoculars
« on: 11:35:42, 09 March, 2010 »
Hi all,

over the past years the discounter LIDL had a reputation for their 10x50 bins which in contrast to other discounters really bear some usefulness for their money. Usually they were branded MEADE (1st generation, rubber eyecups) or BRESSER (2nd generation, twist eyecups).

Last weekend I saw LIDL selling "ROCKTRAIL" branded bins and I was afraid they would have changed the manufacturer to a less qualtiy product, taking they cost £13.99 instead of £14.99 which was the last price for the Bresser branded ones.

So I bought one to compare it with the Bresser pairs.

Appearance: Both show a full exit pupil without flat vignetting due to too small prisms (actually an error you do not see very often these days anyhow). Both have simple blue MgF2 coatings and feature BAK4 prisms. The appearance is nearly similar, both having twist eyecups. The only difference striking is the feel as the ROCKTRAIL ones feel a bit blunt and rubbery albeit they rest well in the hands. It is a bit tricky to use the independent focus on one eye (dioptry compensation) as you have to twist the eye cup a tiny bit at first, annoying for eyeglass wearers. But not really a big issue.

On the sky both bins performed exactly the same. At a limiting magnitude of about 5 I could just see M51 in both as a small smudge. Both appear to have the same field of view, and the image quality breaks down at the outer 20% of the field, leaving bright stars blurred and elongated at the very field edge.

I think these bins are still a good buy for their money and a good present to bring anyone into astronomy or nature observation. Yes the stars get a bit blurry at the edge but I have seen much more expensive bins performing no better in this.

Clear skies,

Juergen

My scopes: 30 year old Tasco 60/700 on 10K mount and a few others ...

If you have no friends, just buy a lathe and things will change.

Offline Kellys_eye

• -----------------------
  • Poster God
Re: Short note on LIDL "Rocktrail" binoculars
« Reply #1 on: 12:37:27, 09 March, 2010 »
A concise and useful report - thanks Jeurgen.

Dave Gill

250/f4.5 newt, 150/f5 refractor, Mak 127, lots of bits'n'pieces mostly homebrewed.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #2 on: 17:03:13, 09 March, 2010 »
Yeap - that was great Jeurgen, thanks !

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Dave Dubya

• http://www.neas.me.uk
« Reply #3 on: 21:44:14, 04 November, 2010 »
FYI - Lidl have these on sale again this week - again with Rocktrail labelling - at £14.99

Offline Astrogeordie

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 12:10:29, 10 November, 2010 »
Hi Dave,

thanks for this. I just gave my last couple away (donation to a public observatory) and need to restock.  ;)
Clear skies,

Juergen

My scopes: 30 year old Tasco 60/700 on 10K mount and a few others ...

If you have no friends, just buy a lathe and things will change.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook