Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsAPT

Author Topic: DSS won't register all my images?  (Read 665 times)

Offline Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
Re: DSS won't register all my images?
« Reply #15 on: 16:04:20, 06 September, 2017 »
I use Astroart, I had similar problems with DSS and some results were not good either.  I was staying at Olly's place in France at the time and some of the images were coming out posterised.  Olly put them through Astro art and they came out just fine.  So I decided to buy it.  It's very fast too.  However I have not worked out how to use it with coloured data as yet as I do Mono imaging these days.

Carole

Mount: NEQ6 (on pier), HEQ5 (for astrocamps),  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO, Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 450D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #16 on: 19:41:46, 06 September, 2017 »
Thanks Carole - I still haven't taken the plunge and moved towards CCD imaging so still using DSLR's.  If I do as I need to take everything stage by stage I would buy a OSC first though I guess most would advise mono.

All the best
Annie

Offline Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
« Reply #17 on: 17:07:49, 11 September, 2017 »
To be honest Annie, the only thing you're going to get better with OSC is cooling.  The difference in sensitivity between a coloured camera and a mono camera blew me away when I first saw it.  I took the same target on consecutive nights, one night with the DSLR and the following night with the mono camera.

I was a bit daunted about a mono camera at first, but took every-one's advice and have never looked back.  Ok it took me a while to get to grips with combining all the filters, but I would never go back.  Just the occasional image with the DSLR when situation demands, like comets and eclipses and taking images abroad when i can't take the whole regalia.

Carole
Mount: NEQ6 (on pier), HEQ5 (for astrocamps),  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO, Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 450D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #18 on: 21:50:47, 11 September, 2017 »
You make a good case Carole - I'd better start saving my pennies! I had been wondering whether the difference between a OSC and  DSLR was significant enough for me to go down that road.

Many thanks

Annie

Offline PaulB

• Galactic Poster
  • Canis Major
    • Paul's Astronomy Pages
« Reply #19 on: 06:27:15, 12 September, 2017 »
You might try to reduce the Star Detection threshold.

And also have a read of this.

https://astrobackyard.com/deep-sky-stacker-settings/

If there are still issues with DSS. I don't mind helping to get it set up and working, next week at "K".

Just shout. (T163) Yellow, from Monday.
Paul.
"Whirlpool Observatory"
Losmandy G11-Gemini L4.
Celestron C9.25.
Megrez 80 ED II Triplet.
Orion OMC 140
Altair 115ED F7
Coronado PST
Atik 428EX
Atik EFW 2
QHY5L-II.
Modded Canon 1000D.
IOptron Mini Tower II
CCD Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #20 on: 07:44:15, 12 September, 2017 »
To be honest Annie, the only thing you're going to get better with OSC is cooling.

And the fact that you don't get Nikon/Canon/Sony messing around with the RAW file. Ever wondered why you don't get hot pixels on DSLR images but the same sensor in an astro camera has them in spades? Yep, thats because Nikon/Canon/Sony have their own hot pixel detection routines. They also do a bunch of other stuff that us astro people don't want them to. An OSC CCD knock the spots off a DSLR IMHO though OSC CCD images require a bit more processing.

In terms of sensitivity, once you have a cooled OSC CCD then you can and need long exposures, I routinely do 12 or 15 minutes with my OSC CCD and have gone longer. Now with Mono you will typically go 6 or 8 minutes for RGB, lets say 6. To get an RGB frame you do 3 x 6 =18 minutes. To get the same result you will go say 15 minutes with OSC. No appreciable difference in time BUT no refocusing at filter changes, you have got RGB in one hit so no nights where you get Red, a few Blue and then it clouds over so you end up with nothing.

The BIG thing with mono is that you can use an L filter to do glorious mono images and then move on the Narrowband. If I was only ever doing RGB then I would buy a large pixel big sensor OSC like the M25C.

Just my 2pth

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #21 on: 14:27:32, 12 September, 2017 »
Thanks Chris - I've sort of set myself a target of using this year to 'master' what I use now, -  NEQ6 and polemaster which I'm fine with and operating the mount using the handset which is fine, BACKYARD EOS which am now well used to and a stand alone guider - Lacerta MGEN which I've now got to grips with, and Takahashi FSQ 106ED ( lucky to find one in great condition after being carefully looked after) which am beginning to get to grips with - and moving towards a CCD next year.  I still think I'm more likely to go for a OSC CCD at least in the first instance. Each new stage is a challenge to me as I started imaging very, very late in life with minimal relevant experience. I wonder what else in my system it would be sensible to change as I move towards CCD imaging.  I like the idea of a large pixel, big sensor!  I had thought that maybe I should start a new thread to ask these questions?

Annie

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #22 on: 14:36:21, 12 September, 2017 »
Am I right in working out that the M25C with its pixel size divided by the 530mm fl of the takahashi divided by the magic no. of 206 would give me a figure of over 2 which would  lead to oversampling - should that be a concern and would I need to find something between 1 and 2?

Annie

Offline Nimbus

• Poster God
« Reply #23 on: 15:09:43, 12 September, 2017 »
Annie the FSQ106 + the M25C camera (7.4 micron pixels) equates to 3.03 arcsecs/pixel, which is somewhat undersampled.

UK skies are rarely great but a value of 1.5-2.0 arsec/pixel would probably strike the right balance.  That said my current rig is running at 2.335 arcsec/pixel.  You will also find many excellent images at 3.0+ arcsec/pixels on line.  However, it really depends on what your primary targets are going to be if you want detailed images of most galaxies then  you would aim for a smaller number and wide field shots of 3.0+ are also suitable in my view.

I am sure others will have their own views. 

ATB Jim
EQ8 Pro
TAK FSQ 106 EDX4
ATIK 16200 Mono & Lodestar OAG, EFW2 2" Filters
Focusmax4, Robofocus
Maxim DL6.13, CdC & Photoshop CS3E,

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #24 on: 16:15:21, 12 September, 2017 »
Annie

There are very few perfect combinations. My 383L and FSQ85 has an image scale of 2.54 (a little under sampled) and yes 3 is pushing it a little BUT with that setup you will be doing wider field shots in any case where it is far less important. The big pixels have wads of well depth for those long OSC exposures, tremendous sensitivity and a DSLR like Field of View.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #25 on: 17:01:09, 12 September, 2017 »
Fair enough - I won't be buying until next year so will be doing a bit more research and then undoubtedly coming back with more questions!!!

Thanks everyone.

Annie

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #26 on: 16:42:04, 03 October, 2017 »
Only just seen this Tapio - thanks.

Annie

ukbuysellUKAI on FacebookSharpSkyblankSponsorship Opportunity