Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: New Observatory  (Read 8874 times)

Offline OlympusMons

• Olympus Mons Observatory
Re: New Observatory
« Reply #15 on: 22:56:36, 28 October, 2006 »
Hi,
    There are free plans to build a roll off roof observatory here:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Roll_Off_Roof/

Plus plenty of photos and links to manufacturers for parts etc.

To motorise your roof try here:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Observatory_RoofandDome_Automation/

Lots of ideas and software to fully remotely automate an observatory!

Regards
Stewart
MeadeLX200GPS14" UHTC SCT with 70mm guide scope polar mounted permanantly inside motorised roll in roof observatory next to SkyShed observatory

Offline highinthesky

« Reply #16 on: 20:19:11, 29 October, 2006 »
Hi

Planning one myself,  got my eye on a couple of nice sites for it, very dark and within a few minutes walk from house, I came to the conclusion that 7ft by 7ft was the minimum size, budget permitting my choice would be 8ft by 10ft.

Bill

darditti

« Reply #17 on: 23:36:08, 19 November, 2006 »
Make it 8 feet square at the very least, 10 or more if you possibly can. You won't regret it. A circular observatory needs to be larger than this. I recommend a warm room be separate from the observatory to avoid damaging seeing.

You could look at the book More Smalll Astronomical Observatories ed. Moore, in print, published by Springer.

However I recommend you to wait for about a year until my book Setting-Up a Small Observatory is published :D in which I attempt to give a comprehensive answer to these and associated questions!
http://www.springer.com/shop/ppmmedia/ppmMedia.jsp?SGWID=4-40152-22-173665504-print_view=true

Now, I must get on with it.

David

Offline OlympusMons

« Reply #18 on: 22:26:40, 22 November, 2006 »
Hi David,
             Sounds a very interesting book!

Right up my street, i love anything to do with observatories.

Will the book be about all styles of observatories ?

Regards
Stewart

MeadeLX200GPS14" UHTC SCT with 70mm guide scope polar mounted permanantly inside motorised roll in roof observatory next to SkyShed observatory

Offline DaveS

• Poster God
  • The SkyShed Observatory, South Suffolk, UK
« Reply #19 on: 22:50:10, 22 November, 2006 »
I had the original book, "small astronomical observatories" by patrick Moore, but the examples in it were very dated indeed.

It certainly didn't have any influence on my own obs.

Haven't seen the the revised title that you reference David, but I would hope that its a total update, and not a re-hash of the original.

Dave
Dave

darditti

« Reply #20 on: 23:40:14, 22 November, 2006 »
Will the book be about all styles of observatories ?
Yes, it will be about anything that has been found to work, with the broadest definition of "observatory". If anyone has done something unusual in this department which they feel should be brought to the attention of the reading public, please tell me about it!

I would hope that its a total update, and not a re-hash of the original

No, it will be a completely new take on the subject, in line with what amateurs do today. I agree with the point about the datedness of some examples in the previous books.

David

Offline OlympusMons

« Reply #21 on: 19:53:25, 10 December, 2006 »
After initial research I think I am going to opt for a roll off roof design, for ease of construction and the fact that a modified shed would not attract as much attention as a dome.

Many thanks for any advice.

Jonathan

Hello Jonathan,
                       Your location is fantastic and an Roll off roof would be a great compliment to your surroundings too!

You will be suprised just how small an observatory you can build these days.

Try here for lots of photos and ideas etc:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Roll_Off_Roof/

Hope this helps you!

Regards
Stewart

Offline DaveS

• Poster God
  • The SkyShed Observatory, South Suffolk, UK
« Reply #22 on: 17:11:43, 21 December, 2006 »
Hi Stewart

That's an interesting 'link', yet another Yahoo Group I've now joined!!

Always interesting to see how others go about their design and construction.

Cheers

Dave
Dave

Offline Chris Graham

• Poster God
  • dum de dum de dum
    • http://www.backyard.8m.net
« Reply #23 on: 12:40:59, 30 December, 2006 »
I'v joined too.........................B&Q have a great shed for sale £179 which could be modified for a roll off roof.

I thinks its around 7 x 7 feet so not too bad, the inside would need reinforcing but looks a good start for me, just saving the pennies up ;)
-Skywatcher 8" Reflector on HEQ5 with Skyscan
-Orion ED80 Refractor
-70mm Grab and Go Guide Scope
-Canon EOS 350D, Toucam Pro 2

Astronomy & Veggies

evil_yoda

« Reply #24 on: 12:57:14, 30 December, 2006 »
I'v joined too.........................B&Q have a great shed for sale £179 which could be modified for a roll off roof.

I thinks its around 7 x 7 feet so not too bad, the inside would need reinforcing but looks a good start for me, just saving the pennies up ;)

Do you have a link for the B&Q shed? Couldn't find it on the website, or is it an in-store only type of thing?

The only ones I've found for a reasonable price are the metal sheds. Like this one: http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Metal-Garden-Sheds/Yardmaster-GEY

Matt

Offline Chris Graham

• Poster God
  • dum de dum de dum
    • http://www.backyard.8m.net
« Reply #25 on: 14:58:33, 30 December, 2006 »
It was only in-store, i took a look on the website too and didnt find it.

Just hope they have the offer on for a long time as i need to save up.
-Skywatcher 8" Reflector on HEQ5 with Skyscan
-Orion ED80 Refractor
-70mm Grab and Go Guide Scope
-Canon EOS 350D, Toucam Pro 2

Astronomy & Veggies

Offline OlympusMons

« Reply #26 on: 17:39:29, 28 January, 2007 »
Hi Dave & Chris,
                         The Roll off roof observatory group has a great bunch of knowledgeable members, and now it has two more!

Check out the photos section, there are over 70 observatories pictured in it and all are unique.

I would love to see more books on this subject as there is very little out there in print about amateur observatories.

It is great to see what the amateur community is up to. With bigger scopes and mounts, like the RCX400 20" Max Mount, amateurs will be building bigger observatories than ever before!

Regards
Stewart

Offline ollypenrice

• Poster God
  • It's easier in the dark.
    • http://www.sunstarfrance.com
« Reply #27 on: 09:02:11, 20 June, 2008 »
Hi Jonathan,
I've built 3 observatories, all roll-off sheds. I used square section steel (2.5mm) and a MIG welder to do the joints. Don't stop reading because this is easy and cheap. I'd never done it before and practised for an hour before starting. The machine cost £150 from Machine Mart. A roll off shed is the smallest structure possible because it covers only the scope and not the observing area. The one covering my 10inch SCT measures about 1.2 metres on a side. I was careful to make sure that it was big enough not to hit the scope in any of its rest positions. You can see my observatories at www.lesgrangesastro.talktalk.net.
There's also a book by David Arditti, 'Setting up a Small Observatory'. It goes over all the options.
Olly Penrice
Run Les Granges Astronomy Holidays in Southern France. 20" Dob, TEC140 Apo, Tak FSQ85ED, Tak EM200, 2xEQ6, Atik 4000 mono and OSC, 3 autoguiders, 3 roll-offs. RESIDENT ODK 14 ON MESU-MOUNT 200, Pronto and ZS66. Lunt 60 solarscope. Lat 44.19N alt.900 metres.
Zenith mag 7 for young eyes. SQM 21.6

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook