Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Image Processing Challenge #1 part 1 - Submissions  (Read 6836 times)

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
Image Processing Challenge #1 part 1 - Submissions
« on: 15:50:47, 14 July, 2007 »
 Ok ladies and gents, this is it! :)

See this post for more info:
http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=30102.0

This thread is for submissions of candidates for processing. If you have raw data that may be a good challenge to process (like gradients, trailing, etc) but not hopeless (I have plenty of those, lol), post a small (say, 800x600max) jpeg of it for us to vote on.  The only requirements are:

1.  Be stacked (and whatever calibration as part of stacking) but no other processing.  Individual channels (l,r,g,b,si,o3,Ha, etc ok).

2. Be a tiff, bmp, or fits format.  Multiple available formats ok.

3. Be rescuable. ;)

Post a brief description of it including issues with the image and format(s) available. Btw, don't worry about having a place on the web to host the raw data. Once a finalist has been selected I'll arrange a place for download.

Ok, that's all I can think of.  Cheers everyone! :thumbup:

Daniel
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline Ben Ritchie

• Poster God
  • Bosham, UK
Re: Image Processing Challenge #1 part 1 - Submissions
« Reply #1 on: 20:20:41, 14 July, 2007 »
Here's my entry then - 12x600s sigma-combined but nothing else from a SXV-H9C. Unstretched, no darks (because I forgot!). I've always thought there was a lot more in here than I could ever get out, which I guess is the challenge!

Original data is 12 1392x1040 FITS files in SX one shot color format, or I can combine and do colour first to leave one FITS

[attachment deleted by admin]
Astro-Physics 130EDT StarFire, Borg 77EDII, way modified 80ED, VLT
Astro-Physics 1200GTO, 'evolved' HEQ5/pro
Coronado SM60/BF10, 3-6 Nagler zoom, 8 & 13 Ethos
...and a box full of bits

Offline rob uk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • UKAI
« Reply #2 on: 20:56:40, 14 July, 2007 »
ideally these will be high res images..? if you have no place to host then pm me

Offline davemahoney

• Galactic Poster
« Reply #3 on: 02:13:01, 15 July, 2007 »
Oh err that's a tough first one
Over exposed star :sadass: we like challenges :D
Dave.
Skywatcher ED80 pro
Celestron 114mm short newt.
ASTSC1C Webcam.
Fuji finepix s3500.
Bresser 10x50 bins.
Switched Systems electronic focuser.
And a couple of eyepieces and filters.

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #4 on: 06:33:09, 15 July, 2007 »
  Thanks Ben!  Can you post a jpeg of the unprocessed image (the one fits)?  That would give everyone an idea of how much processing would be involved.

Rob, pm'd you my man. :)

Dave, yep, a challenge.  :)

PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline roundycat

• Poster God
    • Dennis Isaacs Astrophotography
« Reply #5 on: 06:39:18, 15 July, 2007 »
Daniel

I hope I have understood this right. Enclosed is last years' M31 after processing. The original is a 16bit Maxim image and is totally black at this sort of screen stretch. Not much point in posting that but clearly the image is recoverable.

4.5 hours of RGB, WO ZS80FD, ST10XME, CFW8, G11.

Dennis

Offline Ben Ritchie

• Poster God
  • Bosham, UK
« Reply #6 on: 06:39:43, 15 July, 2007 »
That JPEG is the unprocessed image - I did a sigma combine and CCD colour synthesis and shrunk it from 1392x1040 FITS to 800x600 JPEG for the forum, but there's no stretching or any other processing in what I posted. The 'challenge' here is to control the bright star while picking nebulosity out from the (not inconsiderable) background.

Don't have much choice about overexposing Alnitak if you want the flame and horsehead in the same frame :)

Offline Ben Ritchie

• Poster God
  • Bosham, UK
« Reply #7 on: 06:42:09, 15 July, 2007 »
My best effort at processing it was this

which, as you can see isn't very different to the original - I never figured out how to work on this one  ???

Offline egdavies

• Galactic Poster
  • Necessity is the mother of all inventions
« Reply #8 on: 16:33:59, 15 July, 2007 »
Ok here is my image folks:

NGC6820 6x10min Ha. This was only a quick process as I planned to get more exposure at a later date! (Damn clouds!)

This is needing a hell of a lot more exposure to do it justice, plus its not as sharp as it could be! Do your worst folks!

Here is a link to what it should look like . . . http://www.starimager.com/image%20gallery%20pages/Hydrogen%20Alpha%20Images/ngc%206820%20wide%20field.htm

Eddie

MK1 Eyeball

Offline 661-Pete

• Poster God
  • W.Sussex & SW. France
« Reply #9 on: 20:51:02, 15 July, 2007 »
Well, after a lot of thought... I originally wanted to post up my M83 from this year, but on consideration decided it was just too horrible for the challenge....

So I went for last year's NGC 4559.  Main reason is that it's one of my favourites of my own images, whatever others may think.  Msybe there's detail there in the galaxy to be brought out if someone can pull it off; maybe not...  Also a lot of background fuzzies - more than in any other image I've done.  As you would expect, bang in the middle of Coma Berenices.  I find I can bring up the faint fuzzies easily enough, the tricky bit is not overprocessing them so that they look like stars...

I'm not sure whether this is legitimate but I applied the trick I adopted some months ago, of de-trailing the subs with FocusMagic, after calibration but before stacking.

I have the FITS to offer if this one gets selected, but as I warned in the other thread, it's ginormous!  :o

19 x 3 minutes, 350D @ 1600 ISO, prime focus on 10" newt.  One dark, no flats, alignment and stack in Imagesplus.  Alignment method translation+rotate+centroid.  Stacking method simple average.  This is a 25% reduction of the original, slightly cropped (mainly to remove the bits which weren't in all the subs).

Pete

(Orion Europa 250, Vixen GP, Canon EOS350D) Telescope and mount in France, but not doing much at present..

Offline MartinB

« Reply #10 on: 22:07:42, 15 July, 2007 »
This is a Luminence (CLS) Ha green and blue set of M33 taken over different nights last December.  The set up was a Nexstar 8" with a fastar system and an SXV H9.

CLS  green and blue all 30x60 secs unbinned.  The Ha is 30x120 secs unbinned.

The images are typical of this set up -

good amount of data (4hours total at F2!),

gradients (flats have been applied but not they aren't the finest),

poor star shapes (the fastar is not properly collimated,

no proper red channel (I thought that Ha would do for the red, I know different now!)

the channels need aligning and properly framing - taken on different nights.

As requested I've posted unprocessed - this makes it quite hard to see the issues clearly so I've also included a stretched CLS.  Needs 2 posts!

Martin

10"LX200R, ED120, ED80, ZS66, Tak EM200,  SXVH9 and SXV guidehead

Lots of bits

Offline MartinB

« Reply #11 on: 22:09:36, 15 July, 2007 »
Here are the blue and the stretched image.  They are available as fits tiffs or most other formats.

Martin

10"LX200R, ED120, ED80, ZS66, Tak EM200,  SXVH9 and SXV guidehead

Lots of bits

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #12 on: 03:26:44, 16 July, 2007 »
 Ok, cool, already some good challenges I think!  Ben, that was unprocessed?  :o  I wish my processed horse would look even close. 

Ok, great idea everyone to post the unprocessed and processed versions, that's even better at giving a notion to the work involved.

Btw, glad you posted Pete, don't worry about the sizes, we'll get it sorted.

Ok, great entries so far, keep it up  folks!  :urock:

PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline 661-Pete

• Poster God
  • W.Sussex & SW. France
« Reply #13 on: 21:24:47, 16 July, 2007 »
Daniel, as per your hint, here is my effort at processing my above submission.  I'm not terribly thrilled with it though  :-\

Pete

(Orion Europa 250, Vixen GP, Canon EOS350D) Telescope and mount in France, but not doing much at present..

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #14 on: 21:55:20, 16 July, 2007 »
  Thanks Pete!  Well, that should at least give some idea of what the end result would look like.  :)  Pretty good work actually.

Ok, cool, I'll give it another couple of days, then start up a voting thread.  Hoping for a few more submissions to choose from though... shoot, I'm actually tempted to put in one of mine, most of them are indeed challenges I think.  ;)

PLEASE REMOVE ME

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012