Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Post your unprocessed images here for help from our members.  (Read 31738 times)

Offline spaismunky

• Galactic Poster
  • Space is ace-not bobbins
Enjoy one and all. :-*
mojo :D
Meade LX90 10"

Offline jaycee

Re: Post your unprocessed images here for help from our members.
« Reply #1 on: 18:49:38, 20 August, 2007 »
Hi Mo, if UKAI members want to check this thread here...

http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=31237.0

This will lead them to a number of FITS datasets from the Misti Mountain Observatory, that Jim Misti and Steve Mazlin have provided for people to practice with. So long as they credit the images as required, there is no problem with publishing them here.

Cheers! wesdasd
Jeff
Jeff wesdasd ~ Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #2 on: 04:30:51, 24 August, 2007 »
  Ok, my take on M31

Credits - Image Acquisition by Jim Misti and Steve Mazlin

A pleasure to work with this nice quality data.  My attempt at post processing it.

See link for the original size (how many teeny tiny galaxies can you count?  ;) ).  Just a warning though, the original image is huge (>8MB).
 http://picasaweb.google.com/ciobota/Misc/photo#5102099948166822962

Click on the magnifying glass to see it in all its glory.

A smaller version here, but it really doesn't do it justice.

[attachment deleted by admin]
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #3 on: 05:59:57, 24 August, 2007 »
  Btw, Jim Misty has a few tutorials where he goes step by step in his image processing workflow.  Well worth looking into, imo.

Here's what my workflow was:

Loaded each individual fit file as a separate image in photoshop.  Used arcsin(x) as the conversion option and 32bit as the output.  So, there were 4 32bit grayscale images in photoshop.

I used the luminance file, duplicated the layer and then set the mode to rgb.  This is now my main "canvas".

I changed the top layer blend mode to luminosity and the bottom layer to color.

I clicked on the color layer, then went to the channels tab.  Selected the red channel, then switched to the window that contained the converted red data, then did select/all and edti/copy.  Switched back to my main canvas window and did edit/paste.  This put the red data in the red channel of the color layer.

I repeated the same for green and blue.  Now I had two layers, the luminance layer on top and the color layer containing the color data on bottom.  I saved this as a psd file.  I am still in 32bit mode btw.

I selected the color layer alone, then did a levels, adjusting the grey point (the middle dropper) to a section of the sky that should be neutral in color.  Voila, the galaxy colors are now the expected pretty cyans, yellows and reds.  A bit washed out, but that's ok.

Next, to smooth out the color a bit, I applied a surface blur with radius of 2 a threshold of 2.  This will minimize color blotching when pushing the faint stuff later on.

I used adjust/hue-saturation to increase saturation on the color layer.  The upper left blue star was becoming a bit oversaturated, so I selected the blue from the dialog, eyedroppered the blue around the star, then reduced saturation so all other colors including it were vivid but not oversaturated.

Now I selected the luminosity layer and adjusted levels until the faint areas showed well without blowing the core too much.  I first selected for preview mode "highlight compression" as this allows you to push the levels quite high without blowing out the stars.

Ok, now you have an image that looks pretty good, just a little washed out and not at its sharpest.  Also there are some odd color gradients.

Since I use Noel's actions, and they don't work in 32bit mode, now it's time to convert to 16bit.  First, I flattened all the layers in the image to one layer, then used "highlight compression" to convert to 16bit.

Btw, in 16bit and 8bit mode, don't forget to check the menu item that says "proof view".  It will show you the image in the color space you will eventually save.  Otherwise, what you see in photoshop is not necessarily what you'll see when you display the saved file in other non color space aware viewers (and most are that way, including browsers).

Now, I first used the "enhance contrast" tool to show the lanes and dark areas in better contrast.

Then, since a bit of noise was showing, I ran the "deep space noise reduction" and "color blotch reduction" tool to smooth out the background a bit. 

Then used curves to enhance contrast a bit more.

Now, the last part, sharpening.  I always leave that for last or next to last, because sharpening can introduce artefacts that can show very ugly when the image is further processed.

I did the sharpening in three stages. 

First, I ran the "select brighter stars" action, expanded the selection by 1 pixel and inverted it.  This way, I only sharpen the galaxy dimmer stars. Then, I ran smart sharpen with a radius of 3.1 and strength 200.  Then I faded it using lighten as blend mode.  This enhances medium detail well without giving those dark halos.

Second, I deselected everything, ran the same procedure for selecting the inverso of brighter stars.  Why?  Because of the above sharpening, more stars now fall in the "brighter stars" category and I don't want to sharpen them further.  Then I ran smart sharpen, this time with strength 300 and radius 1.5, to sharpen the very fine globular clusters around the edge of M31.  I faded this again with lighten as blend mode.

Third, same as above, except now I sharpened with a strength of around 200 and radius of 0.8.  This gives a final delicate sharpen on all those teeny little stars.

That's about it.  I know I cropped at some point, but can't remember where... very early on I think.

Hope this helps.
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline sparky

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:39:51, 24 August, 2007 »
Can anyone help me with this image of the Sun. It's not great but I would like to see if anyone can make it look better!

Thanks

Celestron C8, HEQ5 Pro, 400d, Skywatcher 200, SPC900NC, 2 Meade DSI, Lots of frustration!

Offline spaismunky

• Galactic Poster
« Reply #5 on: 14:53:04, 24 August, 2007 »
Ok, I'm not very good but here's my go.
I put it into focus assist and asked for 100% focus correction which brought out the granulation and made the prominenc and spot stand out more.
Then into photoshop where I used a custom curve, linear contrast, upped the gamma a tiny bit and increased the contrast.

Meade LX90 10"

Offline roundycat

• Poster God
    • Dennis Isaacs Astrophotography
« Reply #6 on: 15:09:48, 24 August, 2007 »
OK, this proves I only know one way to do these things. I looked at it in PS and behold! no green. I made a faux green from the red and blue and mucked about with the contrast in PS. In doing this I lost your red colour which in hindsight is probably down to some expensive filter and I lost the prominence as well. A tiny bit of help from Neat Image and I lost the granularity as well. Not bad eh?

Dennis

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
  • It aint just the weather that's CaK
    • The Cherhill Observatory
« Reply #7 on: 15:49:48, 24 August, 2007 »
My go at it

Celestron C11: DSI-C/Toucam Pro 2 ICX mod and SC1.5 mod/ Meade LPI/EOS300D/ED80/WO80ZS/Shoestring guider. PST/PST CaK/ART285

No time....always bloomin cloudy...need to build the Obsy..

Offline spaismunky

• Galactic Poster
« Reply #8 on: 16:01:32, 24 August, 2007 »
Nick, you can't just say "my go", you have to say exactly what you did. That's the whole point. :roll: :lol:
Meade LX90 10"

Offline sparky

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:21:44, 24 August, 2007 »
Thanks for that guys, I ended up having a go myself, check it out in the solar images section.
Mark
Celestron C8, HEQ5 Pro, 400d, Skywatcher 200, SPC900NC, 2 Meade DSI, Lots of frustration!

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
  • It aint just the weather that's CaK
    • The Cherhill Observatory
« Reply #10 on: 16:30:43, 24 August, 2007 »
Nick, you can't just say "my go", you have to say exactly what you did. That's the whole point. :roll: :lol:

oops sorry

Okay put in to PSP9, and adjusted the curves and levels, then a histogram adjust, and unsharp mask with 0.5 pixels at 500 level

Then highlight/midtone adjust and Bob's yer uncle

Celestron C11: DSI-C/Toucam Pro 2 ICX mod and SC1.5 mod/ Meade LPI/EOS300D/ED80/WO80ZS/Shoestring guider. PST/PST CaK/ART285

No time....always bloomin cloudy...need to build the Obsy..

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #11 on: 17:44:05, 24 August, 2007 »
  Ok, my take on it.

Synthesize green using 60%red and 40% blue
  16 bit mode
  Curves (an S curve)
  Local contrast
  Reduce noise
  Alternatively gaussian blur (between 0.8 and 1.5) and sharpen using smart sharpen (1.2 to 2.1). This reduces the jpegs artefacts when sharpening the image.  Did this about three times.
  Convert back to 8 bit and save

PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #12 on: 18:12:05, 24 August, 2007 »
  Ok, I wasn't too happy with the result, so I redid it, lrgb style.  Here's my new version, see what you think. Oh, these were the steps:

16 bit mode
  duplicate layer
  set bottom layer to color, top layer to luminosity
  selected bottom layer, then channel mixer.  Used 50-50 mix of red and blue for the green channel (not as reddish as before)
  selected the luminosity channel
  levels
  curves (to further enhance the dim flares and add some contrast)
  shadow/highlight (to further enhance the flares)
  reduce noise (to reduce jpeg artefacts)
  smart sharpen and gaussian blur as before
  local contrast enhancement action (reduced to 50%)
  flatten layers
  back to 8bits
  Save

PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline synner

• Galactic Poster
  • Hemel Hempstead, UK
    • synner.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 10:54:22, 25 August, 2007 »
Not quite in keeping with the subject of the thread, but here are the raw stacked FIT files of last night's imaging session. IC59-63 and the Gulf region of the North American nebula.

IC59-63 zipped FIT file is >here<

NGC7000 zipped FIT file is >here<

You'll notice that I had the scopes out of balance so there's some distortion to the star shapes to sort out too, but I thought they were a good example of how you can salvage a pretty average set of data into a reasonably decent final image.

My versions are below.

Basically used PS CS3 and adjusted the black levels with the level tool, and then stretched the curves to get the fainter detail out. Small increments repeatedly here is the best way to go, while constantly checking the black level with the histogram too. Some slight noise reduction with the reduce noise tool.

The star shapes were fixed by duplicating the layer in the final version, changing the blend mode to 'darken', then literally moving the layer one pixel at a time to reduce the trailing. This is also aided sometimes by doing it at 200% then reducing once finished (gives you finer control).

That's it then :lol:

Nick
synner.co.uk

My ethical unpredictability is by default proof of its hard won vitalty

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #14 on: 19:42:41, 25 August, 2007 »
  Excellent data Nick, a pleasure to work with!  :cool: :urock:

Ok, here's my take on the two.  Whaddaya think, pushed them too much?

Here's what I did (almost identical processing on both):

Converted using asinh(x) and auto scale
  Ran deep space noise reduction twice.  Faded the second one to 50%.
  Used curves and levels to push the brightness up a bit and add a bit of contrast
  Duplicated layer, set the top one to darken, then used the free transform to reduce trailing.
  Selected brightest stars, expanded by one pixel then inverted, then an smart sharpen 3 pixels. Faded to lighten only. Deselected
  Repeated above with radius 2 pixels.
  converted to 8 bits
  saved

PLEASE REMOVE ME

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook