Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Some useful software for solar imagers/observers  (Read 8630 times)

Offline deepsky

• Poster God
    • Sunnymeade Astro
Some useful software for solar imagers/observers
« on: 18:22:31, 20 September, 2007 »
Just wondering whether people on this forum have come across the TiltingSun2 and TiltingSunG freeware programs by Les Cowley ? I happened to stumble on his website after looking at some of his prominence sketches on the Cloudy Nights/Solar forum and he has an excellent freeware programme that does the following....... 

"TiltingSun2 is freeware which shows the Sun's orientation, poles, equator, rotation direction, prominence position angles and drift direction for any date, time and location. The view can be customized for any telescope and mounting. The meridian tilt, the solar parameters Bo, P and Lo are also displayed numerically. TiltingSun-G is a special graphics tool to overlay the disk orientation and latitude-longitude grid onto images. You can generate an oriented graphic and transfer it to PhotoShop or other graphics programs. Disk size in pixels can be specified. All colours can be chosen. The grid interval and other parameters can be specified."

I have tried it out and it works fine with Windows XP and would probably be extremely useful for other solar imagers/observers. Here is the link to Les's webpage for the software http://www.atoptics.co.uk/tiltsun.htm
Visit the Sunnymeade Astro Solar Blog http://sunnymeade.wordpress.com/

The iTelescope remote telescope network, Vixen 115s 4.5" APO, Equinox ED80, PST Ha, PST CaK, Lunt B1200 CaK diagonal, EQ6 Pro, Canon 350D, DMK 21, DMK 41, LVI Smartguider 2, Maxim DL 5, Photoshop CS2

Offline John Winfield

• Poster God
  • San Jose, CA, USA
    • My Website
Re: Some useful software for solar imagers/observers
« Reply #1 on: 06:25:04, 28 September, 2007 »
Nice link - thanks for that.

John
10" LX200R, Pentax SDHF-75 on AP900
ART11002 + TT Filter wheel, DSI Pro.
WO ZS66SD + PST.
Old kit:
C11 on EQ6 mount. Meade SN8 on LXD75 mount, ART285

Offline mightymonoped

• Poster God
    • Tony Garrity's Astro Images
« Reply #2 on: 07:47:38, 28 September, 2007 »
Coolness :urock:

I wondered where this lived as I'd seen it in other imagers work before!

Nice one.

Tony
Tony

Skywatcher 80ED Pro: ToUcam Pro: EQ5 : Mini-Giro

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
  • It aint just the weather that's CaK
    • The Cherhill Observatory
« Reply #3 on: 16:45:57, 28 September, 2007 »
Use it...very good software

Celestron C11: DSI-C/Toucam Pro 2 ICX mod and SC1.5 mod/ Meade LPI/EOS300D/ED80/WO80ZS/Shoestring guider. PST/PST CaK/ART285

No time....always bloomin cloudy...need to build the Obsy..

Offline deepsky

• Poster God
    • Sunnymeade Astro
« Reply #4 on: 15:31:53, 29 September, 2007 »
Another set of solar observing software was created by Peter Meadows and includes Helio v3.2, Helio Viewer and Helio Image Creator. This software is primarily aimed at sunspot recorders rather than imagers, but can be of use to both - link is here http://www.petermeadows.com/html/software.html
Visit the Sunnymeade Astro Solar Blog http://sunnymeade.wordpress.com/

The iTelescope remote telescope network, Vixen 115s 4.5" APO, Equinox ED80, PST Ha, PST CaK, Lunt B1200 CaK diagonal, EQ6 Pro, Canon 350D, DMK 21, DMK 41, LVI Smartguider 2, Maxim DL 5, Photoshop CS2

Offline emielveldhuis

• Boy, do I love sunshine!
    • My own Solar gallery
« Reply #5 on: 16:10:46, 01 October, 2007 »
Mabey, my selfwritt'n tutorial  SolarImaging on a Budget can be somewhat of a help?

http://astrosurf.com/obsolar/colabora/colaboradores/veldhuis.html

greetz emiel

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #6 on: 16:21:51, 01 October, 2007 »
Great Link  :urock:
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline Penlea

« Reply #7 on: 20:07:46, 17 February, 2008 »
Hi , new to this forum. This looks an excellent piece of software, thanks for sharing.

Adrian

Offline Starjumper

« Reply #8 on: 18:00:24, 03 June, 2008 »
Great link..
Thanks
John

Offline Somelier

• RKM Archaeological Surveying
« Reply #9 on: 08:47:27, 07 March, 2012 »
I contacted Les some time ago, because of the problems running TiltingSun in Windows7, his response was to do an update. Can't get better than that!!
Richard
Retired and loving it!!

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
« Reply #10 on: 09:38:16, 07 March, 2012 »
I've tried those last April.
Don't remember if I posted results here:

http://einarin.1g.fi/kuvat/sun/2011/04_16/sunhalfa_2011_04_16_1518.jpg
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline bizibilder

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:56:51, 07 March, 2012 »
I use tilting Sun quite a bit and it works well - I use it with Windows 7 and have no problems.  Hesr is an example of a grid overlay onto one of my images:

Bizibilder

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #12 on: 12:13:20, 08 March, 2012 »
Yeap, it works fine for me too on Win7.

Can someone however tell me how to overlay the grid in CS4.  I copy to clipboard and create a new layer but because is copies the white background it never comes out right - I just need the wire frame ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline bizibilder

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:50:44, 08 March, 2012 »
Create a new image in PS and paste the whole grid image from tilting Sun into it (use the "copy to clipboard" button in Tilting Sun).  Then crop the image image to leave just the disc with the grid on it (I use the rectangular selection tool for this - you are just chopping out all the peripheral stuff that you don't need).  Use the Magic wand tool to select the WHITE part of the grid image, then go to select>Inverse.  This will swap your magic wand selection of all the white bits to just the grid (black bits) which is what you want! (thats the clever bit!).  Then click copy and you have just the grid on your clipboard.  Paste at will.

The additional trick I use for solar images (it will work for any image) is to first decide how many pixels my solar disc should be - Tilting Sun will create a "copy and pasteable" disc/grid of up to around 600px.  Set it up do do that and collect your 600px disc image onto the clipboard(see above).  Then on your full disc solar image use the ruler tool to measure the diameter of the  solar disc on the image and then calculate the reduction needed to get the image to 600px (as a percentage, its easier).  Then using Image sizing set the size to percent (from the default of pixels) and type in the percentage reduction you want into the size box.  Hit OK and the disc on your image will be 600 px across.  You can then paste your grid over the image and it will appear, at exactly the right size, in a new layer.  Use the move tool for final adjustments.  Flatten and Job Done.  Hope this helps.
Bizibilder

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #14 on: 20:45:16, 08 March, 2012 »
Cracking - that was actually how I was trying to do it apart from the clever bit... job jobbed - cheers !!

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook