Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: El Cheapo 90mm Ha Solar telescope  (Read 10464 times)

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
  • It aint just the weather that's CaK
    • The Cherhill Observatory
Re: El Cheapo 90mm Ha Solar telescope
« Reply #90 on: 09:35:27, 27 May, 2008 »
Well for the record Dave Tyler is using a Baader UV+IR filter at the etalon end with his Daystar setup, and no ERF at the objective end..

I am intrigued by the Lunt design, as they seem to be using a variety of IR blockers..

Celestron C11: DSI-C/Toucam Pro 2 ICX mod and SC1.5 mod/ Meade LPI/EOS300D/ED80/WO80ZS/Shoestring guider. PST/PST CaK/ART285

No time....always bloomin cloudy...need to build the Obsy..

Offline colinsk

• Designer In Light
« Reply #91 on: 13:38:41, 27 May, 2008 »
That is interesting. I wonder how the filter might fail used that way. Since it is not colored glass I think it relfects the heat out of the system so I don't expect it to ever heat. I wonder if the coatings degrade? My Solar Spectrum advises to use the Baader full aperture.

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #92 on: 14:09:38, 27 May, 2008 »
Nick, Looking at Dave Tyler's site, he stops down to 60mm to get the f30 beam he needs for the Daystar. There's a big difference between 60mm and 90 or 100mm, think 3 times the heat and energy. We're not talking about a small incremental 5 to 10%..... it's 300%. That's where the issues of PST mods and large solar scopes v's effective ERF's become the problem.
C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/astronomical_spectroscopy/
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
« Reply #93 on: 14:35:36, 27 May, 2008 »
That will be why then...

But hey...look at his images...at 60mm

Celestron C11: DSI-C/Toucam Pro 2 ICX mod and SC1.5 mod/ Meade LPI/EOS300D/ED80/WO80ZS/Shoestring guider. PST/PST CaK/ART285

Offline colinsk

• Designer In Light
« Reply #94 on: 23:57:08, 31 May, 2008 »
Ken, I got a note from:

www.teleskop-austria.com

About an available PST adaptor for 49 Euros. Do you have some on order for us?

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #95 on: 07:41:41, 01 June, 2008 »
I had indicated that I would purchase three adaptors ( Michael, Me, and you) but didn't get it confirmed with Austria as there were delays with the anodising. They have now confirmed to me also that the adaptor are available for shipment!
I'm quite prepared to go ahead with the order for 3 adaptors for us.
Do you still agree?? - Michael???
C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
« Reply #96 on: 10:05:40, 01 June, 2008 »
Can you still add one more, I now need one with a 2 inch threaded front end..as the AR6 focus travel ,adding more extension tubes will be a problem

TIA

Offline michaeloconnell78

• astroshot.com
« Reply #97 on: 10:34:39, 01 June, 2008 »
Ken,
I'm still on for it.
However, if you can't get an extra one for Nick, he can have mine.
Regards,
Michael.
Regards,
Michael
www.astroshot.com
Gemini G41 Observatory+ Mount; 16" LX200 SCT, TEC140; Pentax75SDHF; PST CaK, PST Ha.

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #98 on: 10:47:05, 01 June, 2008 »
When they get back to me, I bump the order up to 4 adaptors, that'll include Nick!

• astroshot.com
« Reply #99 on: 11:30:11, 01 June, 2008 »
Thanks Ken. We appreciate you organising this.
Regards,
Michael
www.astroshot.com
Gemini G41 Observatory+ Mount; 16" LX200 SCT, TEC140; Pentax75SDHF; PST CaK, PST Ha.

• astroshot.com
« Reply #100 on: 12:45:15, 01 June, 2008 »
I did a bit more digging into this ERF issue....
Visible light is deemed to end around 700nm after which is Near Infrared.
Unfortunately, the KG5 filter goes up as far as 900nm.
If you look at the curve of the Baader C-ERF you will see that the curve suddenly falls around 700nm
http://www.sonnen-filter.de/Filter-1/Ba-CERF-log.gif
This is the same with the Baader UV/IR filter, the Astronomik UV/IR filter and the Solarscope ERF,
http://www.sonnen-filter.de/Filter-1/Ba-UVIR-log.gif
http://www.sonnen-filter.de/Filter-1/Ast-L-log.gif
http://www.sonnen-filter.de/Filter-1/Sol-ERF-log.gif

Info on the Baader C-ERF says this (albeit google-translated)
COOL-ERF energy for heat protection filters reductions for the H-alpha observation with surface filters and Protuberanzenansätzen (IR block coating)

Despite the narrow H-alpha filter necessary reduction in the opening ratio on f/30 occur when a filter diameter of 100 mm to 160 degrees in temperature, measured about 15cm in the spotlight! It is clear that such a complex filtration system in this heat radiation suffers, the immersion of the oil filter packages is downright evaporated. Thanks to the new C-ERF filter ( "cool"-ERF) is the whole problem of ageing past!

This "cool" ERF prefilter are unique in the world - made in Germany!

Parallel plan round discs from RG 610 Rotglas, both areas are feinoptisch to l/10 polished. An infrared reflection allowance (dielektrisches interference layers system with 28 individual layers) prevents the penetration of heat in the tube. This keeps the filter plan, reduce air turbulence in the barrel and above all - it protects the expensive H-alpha filter into focus near premature aging by heat load! It also stabilizes the set wavelength, which otherwise related to the change in temperature constantly drifts. The COOL ERF filters are multi-remunerated. This is the best known shift system with 0.2% residual reflection used to reflections on the flat surfaces to prevent the other several times in the scheme and hergespiegelt.

In order to establish a plantation area and the flatness despite the adjacent forces through the various layers to compensation, is a highly technical effort. Such color glasses are just as soft and feuchtigkeitsempfindlich fluorite!

It must consist of a large quantity of colored glass only the best pieces in tension getemperter quality choose to meet a good final quality also hope to be! All too easily deformed, the extremely soft glass at improper manufacture or coating on old-fashioned plants.  The end product is almost useless, if not utmost care in each production step has been applied.

These filters are based on the latest ion beam-supported facilities coated to the heat load for the colored glass as low as possible and still an extremely hard, scratch compensation to guarantee! Compensation layers are used for colour glasses as important as with modern plastic glasses, where only the hard-reflective of the actual ageing protection for the soft plastic supplies.

A C-ERF is to use a solar filter Spectrum essential!

As a matter of curiosity, has anyone put the original lens from the PST into a spectrometer? I wonder what bandpass it gives.

Regards,
Michael
www.astroshot.com

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #101 on: 18:20:28, 01 June, 2008 »
Good catch! I didn't check the "original" gold PST before repair so can't comment.
I was also reading up on the Solar "black body" radiation. By far the most energy is in the visible wavelengths. When we go out into the UV it drops very rapidly below the 300nm and in the IR it tails off after the 700nm. I think based on these curves that the total amount of energy, and hence the risk drops to "safe" amounts outside the the cut-off of filters like the Baader C-ERF or eveb the UV-IR filters. I'd love to be able to quantify how much energy is there..... I'll keep investigating.

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
« Reply #102 on: 18:40:25, 01 June, 2008 »
So the Rosco /Wratten 25 Combi for H-A is still good?, and the KG5 for CaK (both imaging only) still good?

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #103 on: 19:39:45, 01 June, 2008 »
I'll double check with the "experts" on my spectro forum, but from what I can find:
The atmosphere kills everything below 300nm, so the UV "threat" is from 400nm to 300nm, and the amount of total energy in this region is already dropping. Similarly in the IR, the amount of energy seems dramatically to drop off after 750nm, so once again, there's less risk.
I'll try and get more evidence for the "risk assessment"........

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
« Reply #104 on: 20:16:12, 01 June, 2008 »
Thanks for this

It looks kike I may have to get the AR6 tube cut back a bit anyway.. so no rush

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook