Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: EC90 DS 0.5A solar scope - no ERF!  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
Re: EC90 DS 0.5A solar scope - no ERF!
« Reply #30 on: 17:32:57, 16 June, 2008 »
The usual good news bad news!!
Between clouds I managed to check-out the EC90DS...........
The good news is that you definately do NOT need the ERF on this set up!!

I've carefully set-up the 50/50 mirrors and compared the image before and after. The image is certainly a bit brighter but nowhere near excessive, still quite comfortable to the eye (10.5mm plossl), much better view than with the Baader ERF ( Appears dull). There is NO significant heat build up on the PST objective or anywhere else in the system. So we have a possible PST mod which doesn't require the $$$$ of an ERF (at least up to 90mm aperture).
Bad news if any.... well getting the barlow to give a collimated beam into the PST is definately a fiddly job. I measured and re-measured the FL of the barlow, the off-set of the 50/50 mirrors etc etc etc and still had to move the d@#$$ thing about 28mm to get focus!!!!!!!
The focus of the PST ( I used the basic PST complete for these tests, i.e. the PST with the black body etc) is VERY sensitive!!
Also, the view using a BF5 (as per the PST) is very limiting!! Hopefully the BF10 (I spent the money!!! due end of the month!) will be easier.
Now I know everything at last works, I'll tidy up the fitment and get rid of the Gaffa tape ready to try again.

C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/astronomical_spectroscopy/
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #31 on: 18:07:12, 16 June, 2008 »
A couple of photos of the set-up

[attachment deleted by admin]
C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
  • It aint just the weather that's CaK
    • The Cherhill Observatory
« Reply #32 on: 19:36:41, 16 June, 2008 »
Very interesting setup.

BF10 made a significant difference on my setup, but I too am struggling to get the barlow lens pre etalon on the lower focal ratio scopes. Hopefully not an issue once I get the AR6/FL102 sorted

Celestron C11: DSI-C/Toucam Pro 2 ICX mod and SC1.5 mod/ Meade LPI/EOS300D/ED80/WO80ZS/Shoestring guider. PST/PST CaK/ART285

No time....always bloomin cloudy...need to build the Obsy..

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #33 on: 07:54:34, 21 July, 2008 »
Well after some delays, the re-machined focusser attachment adaptor should be back with me tomorrow!!!
This will allow the EC90DS to be finally assembled and this time I'll have the BF10 to see if it lives up to expectations.....
In the meantime the 200 Littrow is just about commissioned; also should be in action this week!

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
  • It aint just the weather that's CaK
    • The Cherhill Observatory
« Reply #34 on: 09:07:35, 21 July, 2008 »
Fingers crossed it will be clear most of the week too..

(obviously it will, I am in work!....)

Celestron C11: DSI-C/Toucam Pro 2 ICX mod and SC1.5 mod/ Meade LPI/EOS300D/ED80/WO80ZS/Shoestring guider. PST/PST CaK/ART285

No time....always bloomin cloudy...need to build the Obsy..

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012