Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Camera for Solar Work?  (Read 795 times)

Offline colinsk

• Designer In Light
Camera for Solar Work?
« on: 17:20:23, 11 June, 2008 »
I have been using a Meade LPI for solar work and I can't adjust the gamma into a usable range. Or at least I think that is the problem. I notice no one uses the LPI. What would be a good camera to look at? I could save up about $600 I hope. I have seen good results from DMKs. Should I get firewire or USB? My laptop has both.

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
Re: Camera for Solar Work?
« Reply #1 on: 08:25:49, 12 June, 2008 »
 I use both the LPI and the DMK21af. The DMK mono flywire is probably the way to go. But I did find that the usual small 4 wire firewire connector on the laptop is no good for the DMK; it also needs a 12V power input. OPT sell a suitable adaptor from 4 to 6 wire plus a 12V input ( Cost about $35 - less than half the German price!!!)
Recommend using Lucam software with the DMK.
What software are you using for the LPI? I use both IRIS 5.5.3 and AstroArt V4 with no problems.
I had to wrap the LPI in aluminium foil to stop light leakage!!
ps Did you receive the write-up??? Any comment before upload???
C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/astronomical_spectroscopy/
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
  • It aint just the weather that's CaK
    • The Cherhill Observatory
« Reply #2 on: 11:43:56, 12 June, 2008 »
DMK USB....... forget the LPI, they are only good for one thing, spectroscopy...lousy at most other stuff IMHO (maybe as a guide cam, but even then the DSI blows it away)

Celestron C11: DSI-C/Toucam Pro 2 ICX mod and SC1.5 mod/ Meade LPI/EOS300D/ED80/WO80ZS/Shoestring guider. PST/PST CaK/ART285

No time....always bloomin cloudy...need to build the Obsy..

Offline colinsk

• Designer In Light
« Reply #3 on: 00:29:11, 13 June, 2008 »
Ken, I tried to send it once but it did not seem to go. I sent it from a different email account just now.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012