Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Crash course on imaging with a PST needed for Friday :-)  (Read 802 times)

Offline Drane

• Cannock Staffs
    • White Peak Astronomical Observing Group
Hi all

I have just looked at the weather forcast for the partial eclipse on Friday morning and at the moment it does not look to bad for where I am (Staffs)    so I have just decided  I would love to do something that I have never done before with my PST and that is to get some images of the sun with my PST  :D

So is there anybody here that could run by me the basics ?

Here is what I have at my disposal so if I could use any of this kit then that would be a bonus  :D

I have a ART 285 camera, Phillips webcam, Atik 2HS camera, Canon umodded 300d and of course my PST  :D

so what would be the easiest way of getting a image ?

Would just love to be able to get some shots of the partial eclipse  :D so if anybody could help that would be great  :D

Cheers
Dave

C9.25, EQ6 Pro,Toucam Pro II,Canon 450D,WO ZS80II ED APO , Grab & Go SLT Go-To Mount & WO ZS66 SD APO,

http://www.wpaog.co.uk

Oh god it's raining....but im not complainin ;-)

Offline Ben Ritchie

• Poster God
  • Bosham, UK
Re: Crash course on imaging with a PST needed for Friday :-)
« Reply #1 on: 13:31:37, 30 July, 2008 »
The biggest challenge with a PST for imaging is being able to reach focus at all - I need to use a barlow to reach focus, usually either a AE 1.6x magnimax (or whatever it's called) which is a simple screw-on lens, or a 2x. Apparently you can use low-profile nosepieces (at least with some webcams?) but i've never got that working with anything I had.

If you can get focus with your setup then stick the laptop/PC in a cardboard box so you can see the screen to find focus - basic pictures aren't hard to do (of course Pete/Nick type images are something else!). It's very easy to saturate so some kind of software that will display a histogram helps a lot. Processing's much like anything else.

I'd suggest giving it a go asap, trying for the first time while an eclipse is in progress isn't ideal...
Astro-Physics 130EDT StarFire, Borg 77EDII, way modified 80ED, VLT
Astro-Physics 1200GTO, 'evolved' HEQ5/pro
Coronado SM60/BF10, 3-6 Nagler zoom, 8 & 13 Ethos
...and a box full of bits

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
  • It aint just the weather that's CaK
    • The Cherhill Observatory
« Reply #2 on: 10:55:04, 31 July, 2008 »
Did the 285 arrive Ben?

(that if you get up to speed sharpish will do full disc with the SM60 for the eclipse)

Celestron C11: DSI-C/Toucam Pro 2 ICX mod and SC1.5 mod/ Meade LPI/EOS300D/ED80/WO80ZS/Shoestring guider. PST/PST CaK/ART285

No time....always bloomin cloudy...need to build the Obsy..

Offline Ben Ritchie

• Poster God
  • Bosham, UK
« Reply #3 on: 11:07:43, 31 July, 2008 »
Not yet, the postie doesn't get out of bed before noon round our way - special delivery just beats the deadline, otherwise the post turns up mid afternoon...

Going to run the SM60 and PST CaK side by side, very familiar with the Atik 16HR (had one, shouldn't have sold it) so hopefully should be able to get up and running with the Art285 quickly enough.
Astro-Physics 130EDT StarFire, Borg 77EDII, way modified 80ED, VLT
Astro-Physics 1200GTO, 'evolved' HEQ5/pro
Coronado SM60/BF10, 3-6 Nagler zoom, 8 & 13 Ethos
...and a box full of bits

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012