Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Making star trail images with a DSLR and Startrails v1.1  (Read 4733 times)

Offline boothee

Re: Making star trail images with a DSLR and Startrails v1.1
« Reply #15 on: 10:15:23, 07 November, 2008 »
When I took my star-trail images I had the camera plugged straight into my laptop and the images were loaded as soon as they were taken so it didn't have to wait for the card to come back online after taking a shot... I also don't have "fast" CF cards but don't seem to have any problems with them ?!?

Remember if you are connecting direct to PC/Laptop to make sure the "take image without CF" is set to yes !

S.

Oh!  Which software do you use?  Canon provided or anything?  I'm using Canon EOS 300D.  I think I will need to take pictures with computer as the longest exposure my camera can take is only 30s exposure.  More?  Only bulb.

Thanks!

:)
boothee
1150mm, 254mm, Newtonion Reflector on EQ5 Mount with dual axis DK3 drive, QHY5 Planetary Imager, Canon 300D, Yangon(Rangoon), Myanmar(Burma).

Offline rogermunns

« Reply #16 on: 18:48:47, 07 November, 2008 »
With a wireless controller and the 300D exposure set on 'bulb' then any exposure is possible. With camera set to delay action, press button on controller once to start exposure, again to stop it. Cost of wireless remote control about £8 on eBay inc postage from HK, China.

Highly recommended.
Vixen VC200L on NEQ6, Vixen 102M on Vixen SP, Orion 80mm short-focus refractor.  Philips Toucam, Philips SPC900, Canon 550D, SC1.5 (still unused). Inexperience. Fond memories of ETX125.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #17 on: 23:53:49, 07 November, 2008 »
Oh!  Which software do you use?  Canon provided or anything?  I'm using Canon EOS 300D.  I think I will need to take pictures with computer as the longest exposure my camera can take is only 30s exposure.  More?  Only bulb.

Hey boothee - yes, the software I used came with my camera (eos 400d).  Hopefully you've still got the CD but on it you should find Remote Connection and that's what I use. :D

Also, as Roger says above, with a remote shutter release and the camera set to BULB (next one after 30' on the Manual option) you can take an exposure for as long as you like but for star trails I just set it to 30' and locked the remote shutter release "on" and left it going.... by doing it this way it will continuously take 30second images till you unlock the remote control.

HTH's
S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline boothee

« Reply #18 on: 04:26:00, 08 November, 2008 »
Hi Simon,

Thanks for your kind reply.  I'm going to check out the software for my camera at Canon showroom and service center today. :)

Clear Skies!

:)
boothee
1150mm, 254mm, Newtonion Reflector on EQ5 Mount with dual axis DK3 drive, QHY5 Planetary Imager, Canon 300D, Yangon(Rangoon), Myanmar(Burma).

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012