Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Camera?  (Read 1280 times)

Offline colinsk

• Designer In Light
Camera?
« on: 06:02:58, 02 December, 2008 »
I am trying to understand cameras. For all of the experience I have in understanding etalons I have not spent any time understanding cameras so bare with me if I ask dumb questions.  :nerd:

I have watched a lot of images and I like the DMK images just fine. They seem to be a good compromise between cost and quality. I have a Mead LPI and a ToUcam that has been modified to raw but I really want a monochrome camera. I have considered modding the ToUcam to B/W. I have some fine soldering skills so the mod does not scare me but it seems like a lot of tinkering when ready to shoot options are available.

I am thinking of the DMK-21AU04-AS Monochrome USB camera. Right now they are on sale for $351. Why might I want a larger chip? I am only going to use it on my Lunt (500mm f/l and 1250 f/l) at Ha. The larger chips are 40% more so I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

Are there other cameras in this price range I should be looking at?

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
Re: Camera?
« Reply #1 on: 08:43:11, 02 December, 2008 »
Colin,
I went with Nick's previous recommendation and bought a DMK21 mono. The improved frame rate is a winner for me.
C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/astronomical_spectroscopy/
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline NickH

• Galactic Poster
  • It aint just the weather that's CaK
    • The Cherhill Observatory
« Reply #2 on: 16:16:46, 09 December, 2008 »
DMK21 mono's are a killer, so are the 31 and 41,(reduced frame rates on both).

For the money, the 21 is hard to beat full stop..

Had I not picked up a Skynyx for silly money, i'd still have the DMK, and in terms of overall quality, the DMK is within a gnats whisker of the Skynyx, certainly enough to not warrant the skynyx full RRP

Celestron C11: DSI-C/Toucam Pro 2 ICX mod and SC1.5 mod/ Meade LPI/EOS300D/ED80/WO80ZS/Shoestring guider. PST/PST CaK/ART285

No time....always bloomin cloudy...need to build the Obsy..

Offline deepsky

• Poster God
    • Sunnymeade Astro
« Reply #3 on: 19:05:27, 09 December, 2008 »
I'd go with the DMK21, its my standard camera for lunar, planetary and solar and a true workhorse. I also use the DMK41. The only advantage of the larger chip cameras is that they will give you a wider field of view at any given focal length, thus reducing the amount of mosaicing you will have to do. The image files produced by larger chip cameras also allow a bit more flexibility at the processing stage eg. the ability to crop or sharpen the image to suit without losing too much detail or the image becoming pixellated very fast (as it will do if you try cropping or sharpening a single DMK21 image) . The larger chip cameras have slightly less sensitivity, but this is impossible to detect in the final images. 

Mark
Visit the Sunnymeade Astro Solar Blog http://sunnymeade.wordpress.com/

The iTelescope remote telescope network, Vixen 115s 4.5" APO, Equinox ED80, PST Ha, PST CaK, Lunt B1200 CaK diagonal, EQ6 Pro, Canon 350D, DMK 21, DMK 41, LVI Smartguider 2, Maxim DL 5, Photoshop CS2

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook