Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Horizon last night  (Read 8279 times)

Offline vincentnm

Re: Horizon last night
« Reply #15 on: 09:28:31, 19 February, 2009 »
There's one thing that makes me happy about the ITER fusion project, it's a truly international endevour. After centuries of bickering of who gets the next dominant technology, its like the world's finally waking up. Waking up to realise "Cooperate or bust".

http://www.iter.org

Regards,
Vincent.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Celestron 9.25 SCT, Skywatcher ED80 Ref and SM80 Mak, EQ6 Synscan Pro.

Astronomiser modded Canon 350 D, DFK 21AU04.AS, Mono SPC900NC, Unmodded Toucam pro.

Offline cybermystic

• Poster God
« Reply #16 on: 10:46:30, 19 February, 2009 »
I wouldn't suppose that since all those partners bar one have demonstrated "the bomb", [the one exception having been the single recipient of the bomb], that this would have anything to do with it? No - they are definitely co-operating for the benefit of all mankind!!  Sleep well.
Greg

Offline JohnP

• Poster God
    • Astro Images by John Punnett
« Reply #17 on: 11:06:19, 19 February, 2009 »
More chance of getting cold fusion sorted I reckon (and that was started by another guy at Southampton Uni where I am now :)

Go on then Greg - What is 'Cold Fusion' & why does it stand more chance of success than the hot stuff Mr Cox was talking about...

Cheers,  John

Offline cybermystic

• Poster God
« Reply #18 on: 11:32:24, 19 February, 2009 »
Just a joke.  Cold fusion was thought to be the answer to the world's energy problems - basically loading a Palladium cell with hydrogen electrochemically.  Unlikely to be any "cold fusion" going on, but still reports of "anomalous" energy production - so probably worth a on-going look.

Stars show you how to build (fairly) stable fusion reactors, plasma is very slippery stuff, dense plasma is extemely slippery stuff.  Leave fusion to the stars and flying to the birds :)

Greg

Offline deepsky

• Poster God
    • Sunnymeade Astro
« Reply #19 on: 11:43:30, 19 February, 2009 »
I wouldn't suppose that since all those partners bar one have demonstrated "the bomb", [the one exception having been the single recipient of the bomb], that this would have anything to do with it? No - they are definitely co-operating for the benefit of all mankind!!  Sleep well.
Greg

Thats the obvious line of thought if you want to be cynical, but having developed the bomb these countries have a far greater knowledge of, and respect for, the fusion process and how to harness it for other more beneficial uses -along with more cash for development in the first place. That's more likely to be the reason why they are involved. I would be more worried about terrorists playing with hydrogen bomb technology than those countries.

Mark
Visit the Sunnymeade Astro Solar Blog http://sunnymeade.wordpress.com/

The iTelescope remote telescope network, Vixen 115s 4.5" APO, Equinox ED80, PST Ha, PST CaK, Lunt B1200 CaK diagonal, EQ6 Pro, Canon 350D, DMK 21, DMK 41, LVI Smartguider 2, Maxim DL 5, Photoshop CS2

Offline Dangerous_Dave

• Poster God
  • Deep sky acolyte
    • Dave's pics
« Reply #20 on: 11:58:30, 19 February, 2009 »
Greg

Interesting interpretation Greg - though surely the EU (UK/France aside) and South Korea don't have the bomb either. I read it as a map of who uses most fossil fuels!!
EQ6 Skyscan, Vixen GP, WO Megrez 90FD, WO Megrez 72FD, Vixen R200SS, SXV-H16, Modified EOS 20D, DMK 21AU04.

Dave's pics

Offline Simon Hicks

« Reply #21 on: 14:14:08, 19 February, 2009 »
I was working on laser induced fusion in 1979 at Rutherford Laboratory, so I wouldn't hold your breath while waiting for a solution just yet  :laugh:

Hey Dogman.....So was I !!!! (well it might have been 1980....not sure) Small world or what! I was working on Sprite.....were you on Vulcan?
Simon
Nexstar8, wedge, Canon 400D Modded, SPC900NC, camera lenses, umbrella, rain proof coat and any other bits of equipment I can get my hands on. :-)

Offline Ian Taylor

• https://chesterastroblog.wordpress.com/
« Reply #22 on: 14:45:26, 19 February, 2009 »
In the oil industry they say there's always enough reserves for another 40 years (this is because as the oil and gas run out, the price goes up, so more and more reserves become economically viable).

In the fusion industry they always say it's 40 years away !
(I should add that they say the same about hydrogen fuel cell cars too).

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for fusion.
Ian Taylor
Chester, UK
Orion Optics DX 300 f/4 + Skywatcher 80ED refractor + William Optics Megrez 102 mm f/7 refractor on Losmandy G11 mount + Atik 16ic-s + unmodified Canon EOS 7D
https://chesterastroblog.wordpress.com

Offline Dogman

• UKAI Moderator
  • Galactic Poster
  • Near Gloucester
    • http://www.dmiller.demon.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 15:06:00, 19 February, 2009 »
I was working on laser induced fusion in 1979 at Rutherford Laboratory, so I wouldn't hold your breath while waiting for a solution just yet  :laugh:

I was indeed :)  Only 2TW when I was there, I made the calorimeters to measure the plasma energy.  Dave Craddock was over on ELF as one of the designers, from the same town as me.  Did you stay at Rush Common?

Hey Dogman.....So was I !!!! (well it might have been 1980....not sure) Small world or what! I was working on Sprite.....were you on Vulcan?
Dunc

Meade LX200 12" Classic, ED80 Pro, PST Ha and PST CaK
Artemis 285 + TrueTech Filter Wheel + Astronomik Filters
MX7C + STAR 2000, Toucam(s)
http://www.dmiller.demon.co.uk/astronomy.htm
MPC Obs Code J68

Offline Simon Hicks

« Reply #24 on: 16:35:54, 19 February, 2009 »
I stayed at the borstal...oops I mean hostel in Abingdon. I can't remember what that was called...Rush Common is a name I remember but can't remember where that was. I made the trigger timing circuits and firing systems for Sprite....and lots of endless optics alignment, fun experiements, calibrating the Giotto sensors, etc....during a year out of Uni during my degree....best year....great fun...lots of big physics! I worked with Mick Shaw who was in charge of the Sprite setup. Great to hear from someone who was there too.
Simon
Nexstar8, wedge, Canon 400D Modded, SPC900NC, camera lenses, umbrella, rain proof coat and any other bits of equipment I can get my hands on. :-)

Offline cybermystic

• Poster God
« Reply #25 on: 20:18:27, 19 February, 2009 »
OMG - not more people who have suffered in the dreaded Rush Common House.  My God - have they all gravitated to UKAI????????????????????

Next you'll be saying you used to frequent the Fluttering Duck (Spread Eagle) - I can't take this  :canadian:

Greg

Offline catazia

« Reply #26 on: 20:48:24, 19 February, 2009 »
I saw the programme also, interesting if you don't know about JET, Hadron concepts associated with nuclear fusion. Personally, I'm with Greg on the 'cold fusion' concept. As an electrical engineering lecturer myself, I follow the topics closely. I did have a wry smile at the end of the prog - when each of the physisists predicted a date for achieving a sustainable fusion process.

Kev
Bresser Messier R152S, Skywatcher 80ED, Celestron 15x70 bins, Meade DSI, MICAM VHR2000-Sony CCD, unmodified Nikon D40 + APO lenses, 'homemade' barndoor HAT.

Offline Dogman

• UKAI Moderator
  • Galactic Poster
  • Near Gloucester
    • http://www.dmiller.demon.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: 21:57:55, 19 February, 2009 »
OMG - not more people who have suffered in the dreaded Rush Common House.  My God - have they all gravitated to UKAI????????????????????

Next you'll be saying you used to frequent the Fluttering Duck (Spread Eagle) - I can't take this  :canadian:

Greg

Spread Eagle, The George, The Broadface, The Ox, The White Horse, even The Mighty Midget........and all the others except The Boundary House :)

When were you there, Greg?
Dunc

Meade LX200 12" Classic, ED80 Pro, PST Ha and PST CaK
Artemis 285 + TrueTech Filter Wheel + Astronomik Filters
MX7C + STAR 2000, Toucam(s)
http://www.dmiller.demon.co.uk/astronomy.htm
MPC Obs Code J68

Offline bte999

• Poster God
    • Terry's Astrophotos
« Reply #28 on: 22:46:49, 19 February, 2009 »
Slipped in sideways in the programme was a little dialogue where Brian Cox proposed that we bring everyone on the planet up to half the energy expenditure of the average US person by 2050. With a manufacturer of wind turbines he then set about working out how all of this energy could be generated using non-fossil fuel means.  The programme makers obviously thought at this point that no-one would be able to follow more than a couple of two digit numbers in a row so they did a quick set of jump cuts.  However, I was able to pick out we'd need 2.5 nuclear power stations a *week* and hundreds of wind turbines a *day* to achieve the proposal.  Obviously completely unfeasible !!

Now, obviously, this sort of calculation played to the programmes's thesis that only Fusion would be the "get out of jail card".  Now, I've found that this climate area is plagued with mis-information and confusion.  Does anyone know if the calculations skimmed over in the programme have been done on something more accurate than the back of an envelope?

I'd really like to know if we are all doomed...

Terry
Terry Evans

TMB203 APO with SX Trius-694 on Paramount ME, Orion AG12 with SX-M25C

Offline cybermystic

• Poster God
« Reply #29 on: 10:23:06, 20 February, 2009 »

Greg

Spread Eagle, The George, The Broadface, The Ox, The White Horse, even The Mighty Midget........and all the others except The Boundary House :)

When were you there, Greg?

I barely existed there from 1973 - 1975, did the Assistant Scientific Officer's course at Harwell for 3 months then went to Culham labs for the remaining 2 years to work on CO2 lasers.  In the meantime did HNC day release at Oxford Polytechnic (as it then was) - which was the only life-saving part of the experience.  Got a good HNC (as I put all my time into that and not into the day job :) and went to Sussex for the first degree in Physics, Maths and Astronomy.  Downhill ever since :)
Greg

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook