Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Tiny amounts of energy involved  (Read 1907 times)

Offline rogermunns

Tiny amounts of energy involved
« on: 10:27:53, 08 September, 2009 »
I read something in Bill Bryson's book "A short history of nearly everything" which I want to share.

He claims that if you take all the radio energy received by all the radio telescopes since 1950 (about when it all started in earnest) then it adds up to less than the energy received when a single snowflake hits the ground.

I just find that astonishing.
Vixen VC200L on NEQ6, Vixen 102M on Vixen SP, Orion 80mm short-focus refractor.  Philips Toucam, Philips SPC900, Canon 550D, SC1.5 (still unused). Inexperience. Fond memories of ETX125.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Re: Tiny amounts of energy involved
« Reply #1 on: 11:02:12, 08 September, 2009 »
It does, doesn't it !

I thought that too when I read it but it's amazing how our perceptions of things are so geared to what we see in everyday live.  The more you read about the small stuff (and the big stuff for that matter) the more things become believable.

Whilst on holiday in the spring I was reading a book on String Theory and in there it stated that a "string" is calculated to be 1 Planck length (ten to the minus of an awful lot in millimeters) - which to put into context; if an electron was the size of the known universe (i.e. rather bloody big) then a string would be the size of an average tree !

Don't you just love it....

Enjoy the rest of the book Roger - it's a great read indeed.
S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook