Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: One or infinite? Faster than the speed of light?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline rogermunns

One or infinite? Faster than the speed of light?
« on: 20:13:45, 11 September, 2009 »
A couple of 'problems' my mind has regarding (1) intelligent life and (2) the very first moments after the 'big bang'.

If we are wondering about the chances of 'intelligent life' in the universe, including here, then surely the answer has to be one or infinite?  And if it were to be infinite, then by definition there are an infinite number of 'me' writing just this same posting on an identical web site wherever. Every conceivable situation has to be repeated an infinite number of times.

At the Big Bang I read something along these lines: in the first (ten to the power minus 40) seconds the singularity expanded to millions of light years diameter. So how so?

Vixen VC200L on NEQ6, Vixen 102M on Vixen SP, Orion 80mm short-focus refractor.  Philips Toucam, Philips SPC900, Canon 550D, SC1.5 (still unused). Inexperience. Fond memories of ETX125.

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
Re: One or infinite? Faster than the speed of light?
« Reply #1 on: 20:44:22, 11 September, 2009 »
If we are wondering about the chances of 'intelligent life' in the universe, including here, then surely the answer has to be one or infinite? 

One just seems wrong to me, the earth has so much life going on, in every tiny part of it, and in such diverse situations, its only inevitable that given the right conditions, and a bit of time, life will flourish, as for intelligent life, well anything which has survived until now is doing pretty damned good, us included, we're not very different from all the species around us, and not much smarter either, we just think we are

Planet earth may not be unique, but it's inhabitants most certainly will be, I'm sure there are many billions of similar situations bearing even more billions of varieties of life, all suited to their own particular environment in which they have evolved with, so i would have to assume many, rather than one, after all, we are here, our existence proves that life is quite achievable given the right conditions

And if it were to be infinite, then by definition there are an infinite number of 'me' writing just this same posting on an identical web site wherever. Every conceivable situation has to be repeated an infinite number of times.

Yes, (well possibly) but not as we know it, lets hope they havent got a clone of Bill Gates elsewhere, or adolph hitler, sadam hussain, etc etc

At the Big Bang I read something along these lines: in the first (ten to the power minus 40) seconds the singularity expanded to millions of light years diameter. So how so?

Dunno about that one, If Einstein is right then this is wrong!

Good post!!  :D

Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline Kellys_eye

• -----------------------
  • Poster God
« Reply #2 on: 23:31:56, 11 September, 2009 »
I believe the universe expanded 'faster than light' because the forces that set (create) the SoL as a 'limit' hadn't formed yet.

Dave Gill

250/f4.5 newt, 150/f5 refractor, Mak 127, lots of bits'n'pieces mostly homebrewed.

Offline mcrossley

• Poster God
  • Wilmslow, Cheshire
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: 08:39:00, 12 September, 2009 »
The expansion was not matter moving through space (limited by SoL) by space itself expanding.
Mark
C14 SCT + Hyperstar » SV4 Apo » MI-250 + Gemini » QHY8 » QHY5 » ToUcam
http://www.wilmslowastro.com/

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook