Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Remote Shutter Control for EOS DSLRs  (Read 19782 times)

Offline MickyWay

Remote Shutter Control for EOS DSLRs
« on: 19:55:48, 11 March, 2010 »
I've been looking for a way of setting up various length exposures ( say 10 x 30ec + 20 x 60sec + 20 x 2mins etc) and
controlling my camera remotely. I've searched around and found www.astroplace.net
The program has been written by Ivo, and it's still in 'beta' form, but if he manages to debug, with our help, I think it
should be a brilliant solution for variable exposure astro imaging. The program uses the Canon interface, via 'Utilities'
so the only connection is by the usb cable as supplied as standard in the camera package.
I've been trying my EOS1000D, and it connects and works well. The program is a free download, and a full licence key
can be purchased for a few Euros.
See what you think.

Regards,
Celestron C8 SCT, WO Megrez72, EQ6 PRO, DMK21AU, Atik 314L+, Canon1000D (Baader IR mod). Pixinsight and CS4 for processing.

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Swash Astro
Re: Remote Shutter Control for EOS DSLRs
« Reply #1 on: 21:03:37, 11 March, 2010 »
Now I do like the look of that, looks a lot simpler to use than DSLR focus, thanks for the link  :thumbup:
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Swash Astro
« Reply #2 on: 00:24:14, 15 March, 2010 »
been playing with this software, and its good!

Ade

Offline MickyWay

« Reply #3 on: 08:55:14, 15 March, 2010 »
Hi Swashy,

I agree. I've been trying it with my EOS1000D, and it works very well indeed. The screen presentation is just right, not complicated, but with enough
information to let you know whats happening during the exposures. What I like best of all is the ability to program sets of exposure values very easily.
There are going to be a few issues with user/equipment compatibility, but 'Ivo the Creator' needs feedback. So come on guys, try it, tell Ivo what you think.

Regards,
Celestron C8 SCT, WO Megrez72, EQ6 PRO, DMK21AU, Atik 314L+, Canon1000D (Baader IR mod). Pixinsight and CS4 for processing.

Offline Yoddha

• UKAI Sponsor
    • Astro Photography Tool - APT
« Reply #4 on: 13:30:40, 15 March, 2010 »
Hello,

Looking at the good words you wrote for APT, it is pleasure to say that I'm the author and will be happy to help with any problem. Also every feedback and requirement are very welcome ;)
Regards,
Ivo

May the weather be with you!

Astro Photography Tool (APT v3.50) - The Imaging Catalyst
Some of my images (5 AAPODs, 1 Published)

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #5 on: 13:47:36, 15 March, 2010 »
Welcome to UKAI Ivo !  

I've just downloaded and will give it a go on my next night out !

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline stealthtech

• Poster God
  • "Always pass on, what you have learned"
« Reply #6 on: 00:07:02, 26 March, 2010 »
Hi guys

Well I've been having a play around with this tonight (inside the house  >:(), and it looks like a good idea - great screen with nice, simple user facillities. I'm not the most au fait person with computers, so any niggles I had could well be down to user error  :(. I'm also running Vista 32, for the record.

Connected the 500D, which was recognized staight away. The live view button (LV on) along the top of the image window can be clicked 'on' to focus the image, with the camera set to M (manual) and Bulb, and then is switched off so that the 'Start' button on the bottom becomes live. After a bit of clicking I found the edit button (bottom right) which is used to set your own exposure data in a separate window. This is then saved, and then reloaded from the plan drop down on the right hand side. Initially, I couldn't get the camera to fire a full series of exposures but found that, with my laptop / camera set up, I had to set the anti vibration pause to no less than 5 seconds, and the pause setting in between the exposures had to be no less than 10 seconds. This, then, allowed the full series to be completed. There was an extra pause between exposures of several seconds, as well, for some reason which slightly lengthened the whole process. Again, I'm not sure if this is a glitch, user error or incorrect settings in the camera or laptop (these are just MY shaky results) but it might be interesting to see if you guys can improve on this. There's a nice part, on the bottom left, where the program keeps you updated with info on completed exposures. That was pretty much all I did for the programming and shooting of the images. These settings may be a starting point for anyone out there trying this software but if you guys can improve these findings, please post and let me know where to improve the results. Overall it's a really nice, simple program, and I really like it. After a bit more getting to grips with the settings I will definitely be buying it from the creators - I think it's well worth a few Euros.

There were a few things I couldn't get to grips with but, again, this could be just me. I found that if you click on 'Disconnect' after completing a series of exposures the laptop just froze, and I had to shut it down. It also seemed that , after a series of shots were completed, I couldn't load a new batch of settings without exiting the program and starting again. Minor problems, really, and I'd be interested to know if anyone out there can point me in the right direction to rectify these troubles.

If you decide to give it a go, please post to let us know how you get on.

Regards Martyn
Martyn
SW200P (f/5) Newt, ST80, WO ZS66, ED80 Pro, Skymax 150 Pro,
SPC900NC, QHY5V Mono, QHY8 OSC, EOS 500D (modded)
NEQ6 Pro, EQMOD
An infinitely expanding box of accessories
Roll off roof obsy with warm room

Offline Yoddha

• UKAI Sponsor
« Reply #7 on: 08:03:12, 26 March, 2010 »
Hello Martin,

Thank you very much for the feedback! Can I ask you which version of APT did you try? Also what are the settings of Image Preview and Image Destination?

Regards,
Ivo

Offline stealthtech

• Poster God
« Reply #8 on: 15:56:56, 26 March, 2010 »
Hi Ivo

The version I've downloaded is v1.0.5. The image preview is set to 'off' and the image destination is 'camera' only. As I said in the previous post, I'm not hot on computing so there may be some settings I need to change on the laptop or the camera.

Hope this is helpful, and thanks.

Regards Martyn
Martyn
NEQ6 Pro, EQMOD

Offline Yoddha

• UKAI Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: 16:04:24, 26 March, 2010 »
Hi Martyn,

Please, take a look on the new version 1.0.6 which is on the site. There are some fixes in this version which I believe will solve the problems you observed. If you still have problems, let me know and I'll take care. I have a friend with 500D and can borrow this camera for tests.

The file APT.xml (in the folder where APT is installed) will be overwritten from the new installer, so copy it somewhere before installing the new version if you want to save the plans you had defined.
Regards,
Ivo

Offline stealthtech

• Poster God
« Reply #10 on: 21:07:52, 26 March, 2010 »
Thanks, Ivo, I'll download it and try it out  :thumbup:

Regards Martyn
Martyn
NEQ6 Pro, EQMOD

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Swash Astro
« Reply #11 on: 21:44:34, 26 March, 2010 »
I'm trying this out tonight, using a 40D and winXP

Took me a while to get to grips with it too, but starting to make sense now  :thumbup:

The only problem, if it is one, is if I have minimised the programme to check my guiding prog, it wont maximise back up by clicking on the icon in the startbar, i need to right-click,-restore to bring it back up, but I do like the way it leaves a small section at the top showing the exposure status whilst minimised, so no complaints really

It has crashed a couple of times, but i get that a lot with most progs i use so it might be my system

oh... and the STOP button dosent seem to work

I havent tried the new version so will give that a try, but on the whole, this is a really usefull programme, and I too will be buying a full version once I am completely happy that  it does all I need

Thanks Ivo for a great utility  :urock:
Ade

Offline Yoddha

• UKAI Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: 22:12:47, 26 March, 2010 »
Hi Ade,

Thank you for the kind words! I'm still trying to figure out why under XP can't restore the window with clicking on startbar button... (it is strange that this works under Win7). In the latest version there is small floating window which shows the status when APT is minimized. Double click on this window will the restore window.

Also the stability is improved in 1.0.6. Last weekend I made 5 hours session doing mix of focusing, executing plans, making high precision tweaks that LXD-75 provides without any problem :yes:
Regards,
Ivo

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Swash Astro
« Reply #13 on: 22:26:29, 26 March, 2010 »
Ah!  yes, I'm running the latest versiion on the observatory laptop, double clicking the status box at the top does indeed restore it

problem solved!  thanks Ivo!
Ade

Offline Yoddha

• UKAI Sponsor
« Reply #14 on: 22:30:08, 26 March, 2010 »
I'm happy that it works :)

Clear skies!
Regards,
Ivo

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook