Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Easy and cheap antenna for meteor scatter detection  (Read 8042 times)

Offline Neo_uk

• Starting Member
Easy and cheap antenna for meteor scatter detection
« on: 20:23:50, 29 March, 2010 »
Hi,
I see theres a lot of talk about antennas in the other radio astronomy posts so heres a cheap and easy antenna to make that works really well.
The antenna is a standard dipole antenna that can be made from materials you probably have lying around in your shed mainly flat twin and earth wire.
All you do is calculate the frequency you would like to observe and enter it in to a dipole calculator found here ... http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennaedcalc.html then cut the wire to the lengths given.Then attach one length of your wire to the outer braid of your rg58 coax using common run of the mill electrical connecting blocks and attach the other length of wire to the centre core of your coax in the same way then insulate with electrical tape.
then the last thing is to attach some strong nylon cord or even washing line to the open ends of the wire legs to both support the antenna between two supports and secondly it insulate the antenna from the supports.
The dipole is a directional antenna and for most purposes a north south orientation will be ideal.
Dont be put off by the crudeness of this type of antenna as they are really efective and cost mear pennies to construct.

Hope this is of some help
regards chris ( M6NEO )
Celestron C8 , Explorer 200mm , wozs66mm , sw pro ed80
Helios 102mm , Skymax 90mm
HEQ5 Pro , HEQ5 ,
Canon 350D (modded) , Canon 400D , Atik 16,
QHY5 , Fusion Webcam
filter wheel astronomik Type II LRGB , 6nm Ha.
Antares w70 eps , Ultima Barlow

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Re: Easy and cheap antenna for meteor scatter detection
« Reply #1 on: 12:10:11, 30 March, 2010 »
Chris - any chance you could draw a rough picture to illustrate (for me a picture speaks a 1000 words) and I'd quite like to give this a go as it's something else that I can play with when the clouds are out to play (I'm assuming that's the case ?!)

Also, any suggestions on suitable observational frequencies ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Neo_uk

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:40:01, 30 March, 2010 »
Chris - any chance you could draw a rough picture to illustrate (for me a picture speaks a 1000 words) and I'd quite like to give this a go as it's something else that I can play with when the clouds are out to play (I'm assuming that's the case ?!)

Also, any suggestions on suitable observational frequencies ?

S.

yes no problem simon here are two images on showing the construction and the other shows how you would erect the antenna .
the antenna for meteor scatter needs each leg of the antenna to be 1.426 mtrs long wich sets the antenna in the 50mhz or 6mtr band.Here are a few frequiencies i use 48.25 MHz usb this is a tv station in spain or 55.25 MHz usb .Oh and here is a link to some free software to record your data http://radio.meteor.free.fr/ Hope this helps simon.

regards chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
Celestron C8 , Explorer 200mm , wozs66mm , sw pro ed80
Helios 102mm , Skymax 90mm
HEQ5 Pro , HEQ5 ,
Canon 350D (modded) , Canon 400D , Atik 16,
QHY5 , Fusion Webcam
filter wheel astronomik Type II LRGB , 6nm Ha.
Antares w70 eps , Ultima Barlow

Online PaulB

• Galactic Poster
  • Canis Major
    • Paul's Astronomy Pages
« Reply #3 on: 17:46:31, 22 June, 2011 »
Sorry to be so late to pick up this thread. It's very interesting and it is something that I know I can make. I just want to ask.

Can this antenna be used with a FM tuner? I believe one of the frequency's used for radio meteor scatter on FM is 87mhz. And I would like to use my FM tuner. Or is there something else that one should use.
Paul.
"Whirlpool Observatory"
Losmandy G11-Gemini L4.
Celestron C9.25.
Megrez 80 ED II Triplet.
Orion OMC 140
Altair 115ED F7
Coronado PST
Atik 428EX
Atik EFW 2
QHY5L-II.
Modded Canon 1000D.
IOptron Mini Tower II
CCD Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/

Offline g8ina

• Galactic Poster
    • Tangram Studios
« Reply #4 on: 18:20:55, 22 June, 2011 »
Paul, for broadcast FM bands a few quid will buy you one ready made in any hifi / electronics shop - Maplin, Amazon etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ribbon-Aerial-Coaxial-Socket-Lead/dp/B000L1MIWQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308763231&sr=1-6
David Harris
Nikon D70IR, Nikon D200, Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon 18-70
Nikon 55-200 VR, Tamron 90mm Macro, Tamron 500mm F8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/g8ina

Online PaulB

• Galactic Poster
  • Canis Major
    • Paul's Astronomy Pages
« Reply #5 on: 18:44:52, 22 June, 2011 »
Hi David.

I already have a three element FM antenna out side on the roof. Would this work, for radio Meteor scatter?

If it does, what would I need to do? I realise the antenna would have to be directional which isn't a problem. I listen to the radio, digitally on the internet. So which part of the sky should it be re-directed ( I'm guessing that East would be OK) and at what angle and radio frequency?

I would like to get something set UP. In time for the Perseid shower which starts in late July. It's a wash out with Moon light and it's bound to be cloudy  :laugh:

Paul.
"Whirlpool Observatory"
Losmandy G11-Gemini L4.
Celestron C9.25.
Megrez 80 ED II Triplet.
Orion OMC 140
Altair 115ED F7
Coronado PST
Atik 428EX
Atik EFW 2
QHY5L-II.
Modded Canon 1000D.
IOptron Mini Tower II
CCD Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/

Offline g8ina

• Galactic Poster
    • Tangram Studios
« Reply #6 on: 09:16:20, 23 June, 2011 »
Ideally the antenna needs to be moved to which part of the sky forms the "radiant" - the originating sector where the meteors come from. eg - for Perseids, point it at Perseus :)

Ham radio bands are great for meteor detecting as we get pings or bursts of morse code. Google will help with more info on that.
David Harris

Offline paul23

« Reply #7 on: 21:40:22, 28 June, 2011 »
Dave,
I have been recording meteor scatter for a while now on the 50mhz band. I have always had the best results at 90 degrees to the radiant! This means the meteors have to pass over the line between you and the transmitter you are pointing at, this is what makes the system work. By pointing directly into the point of origin you are narrowing your base line and chance to get the signal.
I have used directional antennas and omnidirectional ones. Both will work the advantage of the directional is you can be more specific where its pointed and increase your chance of locating a transmitter in the right direction at a reasonable distance away to give you a good base line.
This is not as complicated as it sounds  :D
Paul...
Tmb80, 80ed, Borg45EDII with super reducer, Modified 20D, Atik 314,, Atik 16ic, Atik usb Filter Wheel,Mintron, G11, M3 Mounting System.

Offline g8ina

• Galactic Poster
    • Tangram Studios
« Reply #8 on: 09:36:45, 29 June, 2011 »
good point !  :)

Shows how out of touch with the radio world I am these days !
David Harris

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook