Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Modding a Solarmax 60  (Read 1529 times)

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
  • Only dead fish go with the flow.
    • MAS Website - my pics at the link
Modding a Solarmax 60
« on: 01:06:23, 12 April, 2010 »
Anyone here modded a solarmax 60?

It might be interesting to see if it will work on a larger scope?

David.
EQ6 pro & home made pier, with various combinations of the following... 8" & 12" LX200 OTA's, Orion ED80, TS65 quadruplet & Meade AR6 150mm refractors,Orion optics 6" F4 & GSO 8" F4 newts, Coronado Maxscope 60, DMK21 & 41, QHY8, modded 350D, Atik 314L. And not enough space to keep it all in!!!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Re: Modding a Solarmax 60
« Reply #1 on: 10:04:36, 12 April, 2010 »
David - am I right in thinking that the etalon on the Solarmax is at the front of the scope ? 

Do you know what lenses (focal length etc) it has infront of and behind the etalon as I'm not sure it would be possible to mod in the same way as a PST ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
« Reply #2 on: 10:43:34, 12 April, 2010 »
It looks like there is an ERF at the front with (probably) the etalon just behind it & the BF in the diagonal at the back.
If it is an etalon / ERF combo at the front, would I be right in thinking that it's a relatively simple job to knock up an adaptor plate for the front of the donor scope to hold the etalon on place, rather than the PST mod's dependance on fairly precise spacings?

David.
EQ6 pro & home made pier, with various combinations of the following... 8" & 12" LX200 OTA's, Orion ED80, TS65 quadruplet & Meade AR6 150mm refractors,Orion optics 6" F4 & GSO 8" F4 newts, Coronado Maxscope 60, DMK21 & 41, QHY8, modded 350D, Atik 314L. And not enough space to keep it all in!!!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #3 on: 13:34:51, 12 April, 2010 »
Hey David.... my thinking is that you won't actually gain anything just by putting the 60mm etalon/ERF of the Solarscope on a larger aperture scope as the etalon/ERF will always stop it down to 60mm ?!?

The PST etalon mod works because the etalon unit in the PST has a lens at the front of it that converts the converging light to parallel light to go through the etalon and another lens at the back that (re)focuses the light out of the back of the etalon (at 200mm hence the need for precise spacing). 

For a Solarscope mod to work it would need a similar set-up which I'm guessing it doesn't have ??

Just out of interest, what's the focal length of the solarscope ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 13:48:32, 12 April, 2010 »
The solarmax is only 400mm FL
I know I'm not going to gain any resolution with this - I'd just like to start off at a longer FL for imaging.

David.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #5 on: 13:56:47, 12 April, 2010 »
Arrrh, sorry Dave... my mistake.  You actually only mod the PST to get a gain in resolution as the etalon only really works at f/10 due to the two lenses I mentioned above....

... in which case, yes to getting an adapter made up and see how it looks.  It will all really depend upon what lenses and their fl's are in the front/back of the unit as to whether it will work or not.  Ken or Nick may know ?

S.
Simon

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012