Username:

Password:

Author Topic: Which solar scope should I buy.  (Read 4063 times)

Offline steveoid

Which solar scope should I buy.
« on: 11:06:03, 02 July, 2010 »
I am seriously thinking of buying a solar telescope either the solarmax 60 or a Lunt 60mm. Does anyone have any suggestions on which are best and would I be better off buying a 40 solarmax. I have also read that some of the Coronado telescopes have a problem with their optics called rusting! Any help would be appreciated. Steve  :tired:

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
Re: Which solar scope should I buy.
« Reply #1 on: 15:24:07, 02 July, 2010 »
There's no problems with rust nowadays on any of the Coronado products. It was the early PST's which had the problem - long gone.
An SM40 with a BF10 filter mounted on a ED80 type scope will give good results. Also check out the Lunt solar scopes....
C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/astronomical_spectroscopy/
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Poster God
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #2 on: 16:10:16, 02 July, 2010 »
Steve - I only have a PST (which I'm modding into a 90mm scope) but from reading around there are a number of key things to look for and picking the right one then becomes a personal choice (just like with a normal scope).

The first thing is obviously budget....

The next thing is scope aperture.... as with a normal scope the bigger it is the better the resolution.

Next is the Bandpass of the scope... the smaller the Bandpass the more detail will be observable.  I believe most Colorado scopes have a bandpass of 0.7Å as do the Solarscope bolt on filters whilst the Lunt scope are not quite as good at 0.8Å.

The next thing is the size of the Blocking Filter (BF).  The larger the BF the larger amount of the disk will be visible for any given focal ration (i.e. larger FOV) which brings me finally onto the Focal Length of the scope.  This is just the same as with a normal scope and something to bear in mind if you want to image/view full disks (or at least a large portion of it) or want to get up close and personal.

Hope that helps and hopefully someone will post who has had experience of viewing through them all and give a balanced judgement !

Good luck.
S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, Orion ST80, Modded PST B90 Solar Scope PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD) plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline steveoid

« Reply #3 on: 19:49:25, 02 July, 2010 »
Hello guys, thanks for the information. I have been looking at this one at Harrisons Telescopes for £2200 with these specifications.
Aperture: 60mm
Focal Length: 400mm
F/Ratio: F/6.6
Bandwidth: <0.7Å
Thermal Stability: 0.005 Å/°C
Safety Blocking: >10-5 from EUV/IR

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #4 on: 20:29:32, 02 July, 2010 »
Wooooo
That's a helva price for a scope nowadays!!!!
I have a PST, and used to have a SM40/ BF5 filter set which could be used on the ED80 or double stack on the PST.
The SM40 gave better images than the PST.
I later bought a SM60/ BF10 which I use on the ED80... very, very nice good images, much better than the SM40. It provides a great solar Ha scope.
(I later bought a second SM60 and turned it into a double stack SM60 with a BF15 - that's the one I currently use with the DMK21 for my solar imaging.)
I can't speak for the Lunts....
I've also done a few (!!!) PST mods and have to say that a good PST combined with a Baader D-ERF and a BF10 filter is as good or better than the base SM60 set-up.
For half the price you're looking at you could have a 80mm modded PST with the same performance.....
Your call...
Ken
C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline steveoid

« Reply #5 on: 10:42:22, 03 July, 2010 »
Ken, I have a skywatcher 80mm ed refractor, how would I convert this into a solar scope and what would I need? Sorry to bother you about this but I know nothing about this type of telescope. Best regards Steve

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #6 on: 00:59:27, 04 July, 2010 »
You could start with white light observing, by adding a Baader solar film filter. It's available in A4 sheets and you can make your own cell.
For H alpha, then one of the objective mounted SolarMax, type filters with a blocking filter will do the job but is expensive!!!!
Another option is to get a Coronado PST and and Baader ERF ( Energy Rejection Filter) and "mod" the PST to fit the ED80.
I have prepared a detailed write-up on the PST mod. Just drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy.
Ken

Offline steveoid

« Reply #7 on: 10:11:31, 26 July, 2010 »
Well I have now ordered my new Lunt solar telescope and should receive it within a few weeks’ time hopefully. The telescope is  double stacked with the new pressure tuner which is supposed to make focussing much easier using the Doppler shift to fine tune. I will write a review if and when the sun allows and will try to be as objective as possible. Steve LS60T50DS/B1200FTPT (Pressure Tuner) Type: Dual Interference Etalon.

Tuning: Doppler True Pressure and front Tilt
Aperture: 60mm (Scope),
50mm (Filter)
Focal Length: 500mm
Focal Ratio: F8.3
Bandpass: <0.5 Angstroms
@ 656nm
Focuser: Precision Crayford
with 10:1 reducer
Color: Pearl White with Black
and Red accents
Diagonal: B1200 Blocking Filter

Skill Level: Intermediary thru Advanced

Offline ollypenrice

• Poster God
  • It's easier in the dark.
    • http://www.sunstarfrance.com
« Reply #8 on: 09:45:33, 05 December, 2010 »
I have just received a single stacked Lunt FS60 from Ian King and find it a knockout. The proms are incredibly bright and detailed, far more so than I was expecting and very different from what I remember of PSTs though you would need them side by side to be fair.
Enjoy your scope; I know you will!
Olly
Run Les Granges Astronomy Holidays in Southern France. 20" Dob, TEC140 Apo, Tak FSQ85ED, Tak EM200, 2xEQ6, Atik 4000 mono and OSC, 3 autoguiders, 3 roll-offs. RESIDENT ODK 14 ON MESU-MOUNT 200, Pronto and ZS66. Lunt 60 solarscope. Lat 44.19N alt.900 metres.
Zenith mag 7 for young eyes. SQM 21.6

Offline noakesy

« Reply #9 on: 10:20:33, 05 December, 2010 »
hi  i have a skywatcher 130p and it does a great job   i got the filter from astronima for about £20  and i love it

AstrographAstronomiserukbuysellCosmic ThreadsSharpSkyIo Astronomy
SMF 2.0.7 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2012

DarkBreak by DzinerStudio. Theme modified by The UKAI Team

Page created in 1.135 seconds with 35 queries.