Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Help needed with PST Mod  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Help needed with PST Mod
« on: 00:26:34, 17 July, 2010 »
Well, today I finally picked up the final custom made adapters for my PST Mod plus to cap it off the sun came out for long enough for me to throw it all together and take a couple of test avi's.

Firstly, I was pleased because the image came to focus nicely with the Borg helical focuser....  

However, I seem to have a problem - as you can see from the image below the etalon didn't seem to be doing anything, just delivering what I'd class as a white light image.  I'll check all the distances tomorrow and try it with the PST black box too to see if that works.

The host scope is a skywatcher evostar 90mm, fl910, f/10.1 with Baader D-ERF, BF10 imaged with DMK41.

Any ideas welcome...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
Re: Help needed with PST Mod
« Reply #1 on: 05:34:24, 17 July, 2010 »
If the distances are correct, and the D-ERF has the minimum tilt.... then it must be that the tuning and or the tuning ring on the PST etalon is not bringing the Ha into view.
I assume the etalon was giving acceptable results prior to the mod.
Using the BF10, the blocking bandwidth can make the etalon tuning just that bit more "delicate"....
worst case re-install the etalon on the PST blackbox and verify the tuning position. It may be you were at the extreme end of travel and may need to re-set to another adjusting hole as per M Gavin's link in the write-up.
Keep us posted on developments.
Ken
ps
What about a photo of the set-up to encourage others.
C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/astronomical_spectroscopy/
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Re: Help needed with PST Mod
« Reply #2 on: 01:19:36, 18 July, 2010 »
Hey Ken.... had another play today.... I went back one step and tried it with the PST blackbox and other than some serious vignetting it looked pretty good and the etalon tuned nicely (http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49723.0)

I then put the BF10 (the one I got from you last year) back in the imaging train and even after taking the tuning grip off the etalon and trying to tune it fully left and right I still couldn't get the Ha to show.

I'm now left thinking; do you think there could there be a mismatch between the etalon and the BF10 or am I just missing something ?!?!

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook