Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: S @ N Hotshots  (Read 11238 times)

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
  • Only dead fish go with the flow.
    • MAS Website - my pics at the link
Re: S @ N Hotshots
« Reply #15 on: 21:24:04, 19 October, 2010 »
I know what you mean about S@N Mag - I don't think they would know a good astro pic if it bit them!
I gave up sending anything to them after I sent in my monster CME pic, which was ignored in favour of some rocks on a beach with a small streak in the sky (ISS apparently)

David.
EQ6 pro & home made pier, with various combinations of the following... 8" & 12" LX200 OTA's, Orion ED80, TS65 quadruplet & Meade AR6 150mm refractors,Orion optics 6" F4 & GSO 8" F4 newts, Coronado Maxscope 60, DMK21 & 41, QHY8, modded 350D, Atik 314L. And not enough space to keep it all in!!!

Offline Astrogeordie

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
« Reply #16 on: 11:26:12, 20 October, 2010 »
Yes, sometimes I have the feeling they dice out which pictures to publish. I had it several times that I sent in some pictures, of which some were made with quite an effort, while the others were rather easy going. The "easy going" ones, e.g. star trails or a landscape shot with a planetary conjunction, were published more often. Of course the aim may be to encourage the average reader to try this out with a simple camera on tripod instead of requiring hell of an equipment.

Another problem (I refer here to AN as I do not buy S&N) is that quite often the captions do lack information. So, for example the telescope used is stated to be an "LX200", but no aperture mentioned. Or the exposure time is missing, or the camera type etc. I think, especially for novice astrophotographers those information would be a good guide line to see what they can expect with what type of equipment, or techniques being used. On the positive side, I agree that Astronomy Now sends a free print and a cheque for each picture published - a nice gesture of appreciation.

Did anyone reading here had an article published in one of the magazines ? As I said, I asked AN twice on how to publish articles and never got a reply. Do you just write something in any format and send it in, or do you have to be invited to publish ? I built my own garden observatory and I would like to write an article about that. Also I would be interested in other subjects which were of interest for amateur astronomers, or I could write about my professional research - but how do I approach them ? Getting no reply to my emails at all, does not really encourage me to go further as I feel like a salesman selling carpets that nobody wants at the doorstep.

Clear skies,

Juergen

My scopes: 30 year old Tasco 60/700 on 10K mount and a few others ...

If you have no friends, just buy a lathe and things will change.

Offline psjshep

• Phil, who still has a job
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • My god! It's full of stars.... just not here often
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #17 on: 11:39:17, 20 October, 2010 »
Juergen,

The points you make are valid & I agree with them all....  The images I have had in the mag or CD (only 2, I think) do not have all the information on them which I sent in... e.g filterwheel, types of filters (and exposure time even!), whether it was guided nor the guide scope or even the CGE mount ( "Equipment: SXV-H9 camera on an ED80", for e.g).

The biggest disappointment is the TOTAL lack of communication from S@N... wouldn't take a lot to email the original sender... after all, who does send their stuff in other than electronically these days???

I stopped with AN a few years ago when their image stuff got silly... star trails... ISS trail.. clouds... hut in the snow(!?) etc.... S@N are starting to get just as silly...

/kicks soap box into the river...

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline Astrogeordie

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
« Reply #18 on: 11:49:51, 20 October, 2010 »
Hi Phil,

maybe I am partly responsible for the star trails, as I got one published years ago ("Star trails over La Palma", at least six hours exposure time). I wonder what the editors really want to have, and why are they so bad with communication - as well to the image author as to requests as to the reader who would like to get the full information of how an image has been made.

In Germany, we have one large Magazine called "Sterne und Weltraum" (somewhat "Stars and Space"). As this magazine covers research as well as amateur astronomy, for many amateurs there was too much research and not enough of what they really want - stuff made by amateurs for amateurs. The reaction there was to bring out their own magazines, so there is a brilliant magazine now that comes four times a year made by the VdS ("Vereinigung der Sternfreunde", the largest Germany wide amateur society) and the quality of this is brilliant. Another offshoot was "Interstellarum", again with the aim to serve as platform for amateurs to publish their results in full width for other amateurs.

Maybe something like this is missing in the UK - a magazine made by amateurs for amateurs, with less commercial thoughts in it and open rules for anybody how to publish ?

Clear skies,

Juergen

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #19 on: 11:57:34, 20 October, 2010 »
Oh dear!  I was hoping the startrails image that I recently sent in was in contention  :embarrass:
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline psjshep

• Phil, who still has a job
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • My god! It's full of stars.... just not here often
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #20 on: 12:15:31, 20 October, 2010 »
 :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, Ade... there should be ooodles of room for these things on the CD...

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #21 on: 14:03:34, 20 October, 2010 »
does anyone know of the other mags Email address 's & info on what size pic to send.

Roger
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
« Reply #22 on: 14:23:09, 20 October, 2010 »
Juergen, try phoning AN about the article - the number's in the magazine. They can be quite helpful on the phone.

Star trail images have their place in the mags, a six hour image with a bit of thought about the foreground composition & a load of processing to get it all looking right can take just as long to produce as a nice image of M27 (for example)
On the other hand, sticking a camera on a tripod & taking one 30 sec exposure of some rocks on a beach with an ISS streak in the sky is not really what most of us would consider to be an 'astro-photo'

That said, I did get image of the month in AN with a wide (camera on a tripod & click) image of the moon / venus / jupiter conjunction over stonehenge. ;)
But then there was quite a bit of planning to get it. Location, timing freezing weather & a weeks worth of processing to get all the levels right & photoshop out the chain link fence that surrounds stonehenge!

David.
EQ6 pro & home made pier, with various combinations of the following... 8" & 12" LX200 OTA's, Orion ED80, TS65 quadruplet & Meade AR6 150mm refractors,Orion optics 6" F4 & GSO 8" F4 newts, Coronado Maxscope 60, DMK21 & 41, QHY8, modded 350D, Atik 314L. And not enough space to keep it all in!!!

Offline Astrogeordie

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
« Reply #23 on: 11:55:28, 22 November, 2010 »
Hello to all (and sorry for digging out this old thread).

I wonder if Astronomy Now has read this thread, as in the current issue (December 2010) all the information is there in the picture captions. Incidently I got two pictures published (here my Kielder holidays pay out !) and in the gallery everything is mentioned including how many frames I stacked with which software and that I used darks, flats and biasframes as well. In principle all information required to try the same for someone interested in astrophotography.

--> AN, well done !

:urock:
Clear skies,

Juergen

Offline Keith Cooper

« Reply #24 on: 09:10:45, 26 November, 2010 »
Hi guys,

I've just read this thread, interesting to read your comments on the Picture Gallery. As far as I am aware we didn't do anything deliberately different with the Gallery in the December issue, although our previous editorial assistant who used to handle the Gallery has now retired and our Deputy Editor Emily Baldwin has taken it over, so perhaps Emily is leaving more information in the captions. I will pass your comments on to Emily, to let her know she's on the right lines with the captions. And we'd love to see more of your pictures. Personally I don't have any problem with star trails and NLC images, but sometimes we're also limited by what pictures we receive.

Astrogeordie – I'm sorry you haven't been able to get in touch with anybody on the magazine. I try and respond to as many submissions and queries as I can, but sometimes I just get so snowed under with work that I don't get the chance, which is regrettable. Give me a call on the editorial office number, 01732 446110, or pm me and I can give you my e-mail address, and I'd be happy to chat about an article about your observatory - that sounds like just the thing we'd be interested in.

Kind regards,

Keith (AN Editor)

Offline Astrogeordie

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
« Reply #25 on: 18:13:31, 10 January, 2011 »
Hi Keith,

thanks for your friendly reply that I just read now (I was very busy in December and then a few weeks in Germany). I will contact you soon about writing articles.

Clear skies,

Juergen

Offline Neo_uk

• Starting Member
« Reply #26 on: 23:04:50, 19 February, 2011 »
Well Done Ade !!
Nice to see one of your images in the sky at night this month m42 !!!!

nice one m8  :urock:

chris
Celestron C8 , Explorer 200mm , wozs66mm , sw pro ed80
Helios 102mm , Skymax 90mm
HEQ5 Pro , HEQ5 ,
Canon 350D (modded) , Canon 400D , Atik 16,
QHY5 , Fusion Webcam
filter wheel astronomik Type II LRGB , 6nm Ha.
Antares w70 eps , Ultima Barlow

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #27 on: 10:43:44, 21 September, 2011 »
... another reserection...

Congratulations to Tapio for his solar image taken in May that's made it onto the Sky@Night CD !!

Well done sir !

S.

(maybe we need a publications board ?!?!)
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
« Reply #28 on: 11:24:30, 21 September, 2011 »
A publications board would be a good idea, a sort of 'hall of fame' for UKAI members.
:)

David.

Offline cloudbuster

« Reply #29 on: 10:17:50, 17 December, 2013 »
i managed to get my pic published in the latest hot shots of sky at night mag (full moon with bird and gaslamp). its my first one in there, after having 2 published in astronomy now.

cheers
bob

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook