Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Beginner Telescope Advice!  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Jasondh

Beginner Telescope Advice!
« on: 13:37:37, 30 October, 2010 »
I have been around a while but not really posting.

I have been thinking for some time of buying my first telescope and would like some advice please.

I would say my budget is around the £500 mark.

I would also like a scope that I can attach my DSLR to if I want to photograph something.

Therefore what would you all recommend please.

i.e. is it worth buying one of the scopes for instance that automatically track and move for you or is it better spending the budget on pure telescope?

I'd really appreciate you advice.

Offline Jasondh

Re: Beginner Telescope Advice!
« Reply #1 on: 21:08:12, 31 October, 2010 »
Done a bit more research and I am thinking of squeezing a few extra pounds and going for a Celestron NexStar 6 SE.

Does anyone have any pro's or cons that might be relevant for this scope.

Offline Starlight

• Poster God
  • SkyGlow Observatory
« Reply #2 on: 22:33:58, 31 October, 2010 »
Jason
I haven't used a Nexstar 6Se but I understand it has an Alt-Azimuth mount. If you want to image DSOs - Galaxies and Nebulae etc you really need an equatorial mount or a wedge so you can track the target and take longer exposures. You can get an optional wedge for the 6SE but thats obviously an extra cost.
If your interest is primarily the planets or the moon then you can probably get away without one.
That said the 6SE is F10 so you would also need a Focal reducer for DSOs.
Alternatively if you are mainly interested in DSOs you could go for a Celestron C6-N GT (GOTO) which has an equatorial mount and is F5 and costs about £625.
Its also worth doing a search either on the forum or Google to see if anyone else is using a 6SE for imaging
Don 

Don
Celestron C9.25-S (XLT), HEQ5 Pro Synscan, Meade LXD75 6" F5 Newt, Meade DSI Colour, Panasonic DMC-FZ5, Starchaser 80 Guide Scope, QHY8, 28-70 Zoom Lens, 300mm Zoom Lens, 400mm Telephoto lens, DBK21 & DMK21, 8" F4 Newt, Sony DSC-HX50, Itorex semi-fish eye lens adapter, Coronado PST, ASI 120MM-S,

Offline Jasondh

« Reply #3 on: 22:49:16, 31 October, 2010 »
What kind of exposure lengths are needed though for DSO?  Also are they not a little ambitious for a beginner like me?

One problem I have is that I am not planning on getting my camera modified so does it not limit me a little.

For the time being I would be happy to spend time looking at what would be considered beginners territory.

I spend ages looking at the moon through my DSLR and 500mm lens so the scope would I assume give me even more to view.

Offline andrew s

« Reply #4 on: 08:58:17, 01 November, 2010 »
Hi - I don't really know enough about kit in your price range but would propose you talk to someone like Bern at Modern Astronomy or some other well regarded retailer. They have a lot of experience in helping people like you and will take the time to ask you all the right questions and answer yours. Hope your first steps work out well - Andrew s

Offline Starlight

• Poster God
  • SkyGlow Observatory
« Reply #5 on: 19:33:21, 01 November, 2010 »
Jason
I agree Bern is the man to talk to.
There certainly is a lot of satisfaction to be had from just looking but you may find that after a while you will want to take some pictures (to look at on the rare occasions when its cloudy !!!) and to share with others. For photographing the moon and planets a lot of people find a webcam can give them more detail than a DSLR whilst DSLRs can produce some stunning shots of DSOs as you will see if you look around the forum. We were all beginners once. It depends on the magnitude, angular size, telescope and camera as to what length exposure you need for DSOs but about a minute would be a good starting point.
Don
Celestron C9.25-S (XLT), HEQ5 Pro Synscan, Meade LXD75 6" F5 Newt, Meade DSI Colour, Panasonic DMC-FZ5, Starchaser 80 Guide Scope, QHY8, 28-70 Zoom Lens, 300mm Zoom Lens, 400mm Telephoto lens, DBK21 & DMK21, 8" F4 Newt, Sony DSC-HX50, Itorex semi-fish eye lens adapter, Coronado PST, ASI 120MM-S,

Offline Jasondh

« Reply #6 on: 20:32:05, 01 November, 2010 »
I've spoken to Bernard and he has given some great advise.

I think I am going to go for SKYLINER-250PX FLEXTUBE SYNSCAN GO-TO.

Offline Jasondh

« Reply #7 on: 20:22:50, 02 November, 2010 »
Well decision made and I am shortly to be the proud owner of SKYLINER-250PX FLEXTUBE SYNSCAN GO-TO.

I can't wait.  I should hopefully have it in the next couple of days.

To save me looking at the moon only can anyone advise a quick start read to get me going?

Offline Jasondh

« Reply #8 on: 20:25:18, 02 November, 2010 »
Oh and spot on with the advice about speaking to Bern.  Thanks for that!

He gave me lots of his time and so I bought the scope from him.

TBH he was also extremely competitive with the extras he threw in!

Offline koootzz

• Administrator
  • Poster God
« Reply #9 on: 20:39:00, 02 November, 2010 »
Hi Jason. Turn left at Orion is pretty much an essential read for the beginner, more than enough in there to get you started.
Leigh
vixen 60s, modded 1000D, modded 300D, DSI I, 10" dob (work in progress), some other bits and a stupendous talent for attracting cloud!

Offline Astromain69

« Reply #10 on: 21:17:02, 23 November, 2011 »
Hi Jason, I too am a complete novice and looking to buy appropriate equipment. How are you getting on with your new equipment?

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook