Username:

Password:

Author Topic: High resolution Keyhole Nebula - now with super close up of the Keyhole  (Read 5794 times)

Offline strongmanmike

• Astronomical Photons
While I wait for the moon to leave us...I reworked some old data.

Here is a high resolution image of the famous Keyhole Nebula in NGC 3372.

Not a lot of exposure to work with but luckily she is a bright bugger :thumbup:

If you click on the image when it opens you can have a look at the full frame image also reworked from the same data set.

152EDF Starfire at F8 (1300mm FL)

http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/131963654/original

Super Close up of Keyhole showing details in Eta Carina: http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132090922/original

Same scope: 6" Starfire at 1300mm focal length - more details under the image  :thumbup:

Mike
« Last Edit: 11:31:06, 26 January, 2011 by strongmanmike »
"In the quest for perfection we must not lose sight of the fact that we are all imperfect, no matter how perfectly deluded we become"

Offline JohnH

• Poster God
Re: High resolution Keyhole Nebula
« Reply #1 on: 09:54:31, 21 January, 2011 »
That is a lovely colourful close in of the Keyhole, great dark spots and blobs top right and nice dark dust in the Keyhole itself.

I had a go at a close view of the star Eta Carina at 10meters and it has fascinating cloud detail around it but it was too windy.

John.
SPX350 F4.53 Ultra Grade (BIG WHITE MONSTER) - EQ6mod - ATK-16HR -ATK-EFW - TS 9mmOAG - Mintron12V6 guidecam. 
DMK21AF - ASTRODON Series I LRGB + Ha/S2 5nm + 3nm OIII + UVenus filter.  Astronomik IR742nm/UHC.  Wratten 47.

Offline bte999

• Poster God
    • Terry's Astrophotos
« Reply #2 on: 10:43:18, 21 January, 2011 »
Mike

Excellent image (as ever!)  Nice Bok globules as John said and the definition in the "central" nebula is superb.  It really looks like a bubble being blown by Eta Car below it.

Blue halos??

Terry
Terry Evans

TMB203 APO with SX SXV-H9 on Paramount ME, Pentax 75 piggy back with SX-MX25C

Offline strongmanmike

• Astronomical Photons
« Reply #3 on: 12:02:14, 21 January, 2011 »
That is a lovely colourful close in of the Keyhole, great dark spots and blobs top right and nice dark dust in the Keyhole itself.

I had a go at a close view of the star Eta Carina at 10meters and it has fascinating cloud detail around it but it was too windy.

John.

Cheers John

Yeh a longer FL and very short exposures is the way to get the lobes around Eta itself.

Eddi TRimarchi did a great version some years ago now, he used planetary imaging techniques basically.

I have just produced this from my wide field data set which was composed using 10min exposures.

MIke
"In the quest for perfection we must not lose sight of the fact that we are all imperfect, no matter how perfectly deluded we become"

Offline strongmanmike

• Astronomical Photons
« Reply #4 on: 12:09:18, 21 January, 2011 »
Mike

Excellent image (as ever!)  Nice Bok globules as John said and the definition in the "central" nebula is superb.  It really looks like a bubble being blown by Eta Car below it.

Blue halos??

Terry

Thanks Terry

Yes Eta has a nice twin lobed nebula around it but it is in near the star, very short exposures (10sec) are need to reveal it well.

The blue halos are just remains of the blue stars after I combined the tiny Ha stars into the image, I tried to minimise them as best I could without losing all the coulor but in the end the blue halos aren't too bad on my nicely set contrast moniter at home but they are more noticable on my work moniter. At this stage I am happy enough, Rob Gendler has such halos in some of his shots...soooo I guess  I'll live with'em  :happy:
...who knows maybe I'll do a reprorepro  :D
Mike

Offline strongmanmike

• Astronomical Photons
« Reply #5 on: 01:59:25, 22 January, 2011 »
Just added the inner micro detail of the Homunculus around the star Eta Carina itself, if you care to have another look :-)

Used some data I collected with the Starfire back in 2006 when I used shorter exposures.

http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/eta_carina_reprocess

Mike

Offline JohnH

• Poster God
« Reply #6 on: 06:14:29, 22 January, 2011 »
Thats an excellent close up of the Eta dumbell lobes, this star is really remarkable.  I could try it with the Flea3 next time?

John.
SPX350 F4.53 Ultra Grade (BIG WHITE MONSTER) - EQ6mod - ATK-16HR -ATK-EFW - TS 9mmOAG - Mintron12V6 guidecam. 
DMK21AF - ASTRODON Series I LRGB + Ha/S2 5nm + 3nm OIII + UVenus filter.  Astronomik IR742nm/UHC.  Wratten 47.

Offline strongmanmike

• Astronomical Photons
« Reply #7 on: 08:26:07, 22 January, 2011 »
Thats an excellent close up of the Eta dumbell lobes, this star is really remarkable.  I could try it with the Flea3 next time?

John.

Cheers Aussie John (he he)

Yeh, you should, remember this was imaged at only 1300mm focal length and with just a 6" telescope!

Mike

Online Peter Shah

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
    • astropix.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 08:37:54, 22 January, 2011 »
a gorgeous shot so well done beautifully processed  :big_clap: :big_clap: :big_clap:
an AG12 and a few other bits

Offline strongmanmike

• Astronomical Photons
« Reply #9 on: 11:07:45, 22 January, 2011 »
a gorgeous shot so well done beautifully processed  :big_clap: :big_clap: :big_clap:

Glad you liked it Peter, have you seen or imaged the Eta Carina area..?

Mike

Offline egdavies

• Poster God
  • Necessity is the mother of all inventions
« Reply #10 on: 14:30:24, 22 January, 2011 »
Lovely shot Mike of a stunning area that I would love to image one day!

Cheers,
Eddie
22" Dob :: Borg 125SD f3.9 APO With FTF :: Borg 50 guider :: Vixen VC200L
Astro-physics AP-Mach1
FLI 8300m + FLI CFW 2-7 :: SBIG ST-402XME
Starlight Xpress loadstar
Lots of adapter goodness!

Offline Chris/Thomas

« Reply #11 on: 16:34:39, 22 January, 2011 »
Absolutely superb work mate
C9.25 XLT CF, PST, Canon 350d(modded), SPC900NC, Bresser10x50s from Lidls, Skywatcher ED80 pro, Skywatcher ST80, HEQ5 sysnscan pro, WO FR 0.8. Astronomik CLS clipfilter. Hardly any eyepieces

Thomas is my 8 year old son who I share the sky with

Regards

Chris :D

Offline strongmanmike

• Astronomical Photons
« Reply #12 on: 14:47:50, 23 January, 2011 »
Cheers Eddie and Chris, a Starfire APO although only 6" of apperture and a mere 1300mm FL can still hang it with the big RC boys without feeling totally out classed :-)

MIke

Offline astropilch

• Poster God
« Reply #13 on: 20:23:27, 24 January, 2011 »
Awesome...... :urock:

Alan :D
Scopes: Orion 80ED / Vixen R200SS DG
Mounts: Celestron Ci700 with digital setting circles / Vixen Photoguider
Cameras: Sxvh9 and guide head/ 500 D
Binos: Pentax 7x50 / Celestron 15x70 / Pentax 8x40
Software: Maxim DL / Photoshop / Sky Safari
Meade 8x50 finder guider
other suff... :)

Online Peter Shah

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
    • astropix.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 21:07:05, 24 January, 2011 »

Glad you liked it Peter, have you seen or imaged the Eta Carina area..?

Mike
no chance not from here  >:( one of the areas i really want to do....i have a list...i will have to make a trip down south sometime
an AG12 and a few other bits

AstrographAstronomiserukbuysellCosmic ThreadsSharpSkyIo Astronomyblank
SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
DarkBreak by DzinerStudio. Theme modified by The UKAI Team

Page created in 0.608 seconds with 35 queries.