Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: February 2011 Sky Guide  (Read 1793 times)

Offline koootzz

• Administrator
  • Poster God
February 2011 Sky Guide
« on: 18:10:53, 31 January, 2011 »

February Sky Guide

New moon on the 3rd, full moon on the 18th.
There will be a 2.5% illuminated crescent visible on the 4th, 38 hours after new moon. The lunar X begins late afternoon on the 10th so should be visible into early evening.

Planets

Mercury will be visible for a short time before sunrise at the start of the month but will become too close to the sun within a few days.

Venus rises shortly after 5am in Sagittarius at the start of the month getting gradually later as the month progresses.

Mars is not visible from the UK during February, conjunction with the Sun on the 4th.

Jupiter in Pisces, visible early evening until about 21.30 at the start of the month, setting earlier to 20.17 by the end.

Saturn in Virgo, visible from late evening becoming earlier as the month progresses.

Uranus in Pisces gradually moving away from Jupiter, a little under 4 degrees at the star of the month to 8 degrees by the end.

Neptune is not visible this month, reaching conjunction with the Sun on the 17th.

Comets visible this month (to magnitude 12)

103P/Hartley is ever so slightly fainter then mag 12 at the start of the month and can be found very close to M50.

ISS Passes

There are several ISS passes during February, in the early part of the month these will occur in the early hours through to dawn, the passes at the end of the month are late afternoon/early evening.
For 10 day listings for your location please check www.heavens-above.com (free registration required). However, the pass predicted for 1st Feb just after 7am looks to be a cracker.

Space shuttle

Discovery is scheduled for it's final launch at 21.50 GMT. This is the launch postponed last November.

Deep sky

Best deep sky imaging for February is from the 1st to the 11th.

Orion still dominates the evening sky with it’s array of target such as M42, the horsehead and flame and Barnard’s loop.
Moving towards the East is the Rosette Nebula for those with large chips as this is a big object.
Later in the evening Leo and Virgo will have risen with their groups of galaxies.
Over towards the North, M81 and M82 are still well placed for imaging.

Leigh
vixen 60s, modded 1000D, modded 300D, DSI I, 10" dob (work in progress), some other bits and a stupendous talent for attracting cloud!

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
    • Stoneage Observatory blog
Re: February Sky Guide
« Reply #1 on: 13:28:30, 01 February, 2011 »
Yay! the sky guide is back!  I really missed this over the last couple of months. :urock:

Offline Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
« Reply #2 on: 17:52:28, 01 February, 2011 »
As it was clear last night I looked for this guide to decide what I would image, but it hadn;t been posted then.
I guess the weather has been so bad it hadn't been worth doing.

Carole
Mount: NEQ6 (on pier), HEQ5 (for astrocamps),  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO, Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 450D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #3 on: 18:41:56, 05 February, 2011 »
 Hey, just noticed this Leigh, this is awesome!  Very useful even for "veteran" folk like myself, well done.
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline koootzz

• Administrator
  • Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 19:53:12, 21 February, 2011 »
*Added rescheduled launch for shuttle*
Leigh
vixen 60s, modded 1000D, modded 300D, DSI I, 10" dob (work in progress), some other bits and a stupendous talent for attracting cloud!

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook