Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Leo triplet struggle  (Read 2520 times)

Offline markarian

• Starting Member
    • ForthImage
Leo triplet struggle
« on: 19:59:56, 24 March, 2011 »
Getting really frustrated with this. I can't really get anything out of it. I feel the subs are better than this and that there's a lot more in there but all I get is noise when I stretch it. The stack from DSS is here (25MB! with darks and flats applied) if anyone can be bothered. http://forthimage.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/M65-M66-DSS.tif
I should say that this is the first time I've used flats (T-shirt approach) and I'm not convinced by them.

Details: 200mm f5 newtonian, MPCC, Astronomik CLS filter
Canon 350D unmodded
Guided, darks, flats, ISO 800
10x180s 10x240s

Where am I going wrong - or are the subs/darks/flats just rubbish? Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Mark
Altair Astro RC8 // 200P // Skymax 180 // C80ED // EQ6 // Atik 460EX // Canon EOS 600D // DBK 21AU618.as
Cartes du Ciel // EQMOD/EQASCOM // APT // PHD // Nebulosity // Photoshop CC // Lightroom
Roll-off roof observatory // http://www.forthimage.co.uk

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
Re: Leo triplet struggle
« Reply #1 on: 21:36:23, 24 March, 2011 »
Hi Mark

Clicking on your link just shows me the image without the option to save,  I get a message saying i need to purchase quick time pro. !!!

Roger
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #2 on: 21:59:16, 24 March, 2011 »
Rog - if you go to File in IE you will see the option to "Edit with Windows Photo Gallery"... click this.  It will open the image in Windows Photo Gallery.  You can then save the image out by going to File and selecting "Make a Copy"   :thumbup:

Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline markarian

• Starting Member
    • ForthImage
« Reply #3 on: 23:01:33, 24 March, 2011 »
Thanks Simon. Or you can right click on the link and choose "Save target as" / "Save link as"
Mark
Altair Astro RC8 // 200P // Skymax 180 // C80ED // EQ6 // Atik 460EX // Canon EOS 600D // DBK 21AU618.as
Cartes du Ciel // EQMOD/EQASCOM // APT // PHD // Nebulosity // Photoshop CC // Lightroom

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #4 on: 07:31:46, 25 March, 2011 »
Thanks Simon. Or you can right click on the link and choose "Save target as" / "Save link as"
Mark

Thats where it prompts me to buy quick time pro....

Rog - if you go to File in IE you will see the option to "Edit with Windows Photo Gallery"... click this.  It will open the image in Windows Photo Gallery.  You can then save the image out by going to File and selecting "Make a Copy"   :thumbup:

cheers Si..   
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #5 on: 09:04:10, 25 March, 2011 »
You're welcome mate !

Mark - I got the same prompt as Roger... it appears to open the image in a Quicktime add-on and asks you to buy the Pro version before you can save the image out (Apple at their best again it seems !).  You don't get any of the standard "Save Target As" / "Save Ling As" options upon right clicking !

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline markarian

• Starting Member
    • ForthImage
« Reply #6 on: 09:37:05, 25 March, 2011 »
I'll try uploading again - without the TIFF compression.

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
« Reply #7 on: 09:49:02, 25 March, 2011 »
Well I thing with 70 min total exposure time that is not a bad result and I wonder if much more can be pulled out.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline markarian

• Starting Member
    • ForthImage
« Reply #8 on: 15:35:59, 25 March, 2011 »
Tiff seems to be a problem for some users (although I can right click on the link and "Save link as" in Chrome and "Save target as" in IE8) - not sure why. I've uploaded a full size JPEG here:
http://forthimage.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/M65-M66-DSS.jpg
Thanks
Mark

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook