Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Getting started - What do I need to convert a Newtonian Reflector?  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Stuadh

I've read through various if the threads in this forum, but I"m still a little unsure.  I have a 5" newtonian reflector.  Is it really the case that all I need to do is fit a sheet of Baader film over the objective end?  Is it as simple as that (for viewing and photography)?

Yours Aye

Stuadh
Skywatcher 5" with EQ2
Canon SX 20 IS

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Stuadt - can I just confirm you are talking about Solar viewing/imaging and in whitelight not Hydrogen Alpha (Ha)?

If so, than "yes", that's all you need to do... I think the key thing to say though is that even though that's all you need to do you need to do it right !!!!!  Also, make sure you get ND5 Baarder film and stay well clear of the ND3.8 if you are doing ANY level of visual work  :no: :hurt:, although I'd actually say stay well clear of it even if you will only be doing imaging (which I doubt you will want to !)  :yes: :thumbup:

If you need any suggestions/advice on how to build a front filter just shout.  Also, if you do make one yourself feel free to post an image of it before you use it and we'll give it the once over for you  :thumbup:

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Stuadh

Many thanks.  I'll do that.

Yup, sticking with white light, at the moment.  Ha is a little out of my price range at the moment, having just bought new lenses and filters.  I also want to see if solar imaging "does it for me" before I commit any further.

Yours Aye

Stuadh
Skywatcher 5" with EQ2
Canon SX 20 IS

Offline andrew s

Stuadh - Just to be sure the film must be at the front of the scope (i.e. before the spider) and very securely fitted. There must be absolutly no chance of it coming off in use. Andrew

Offline Stuadh

Understood
Skywatcher 5" with EQ2
Canon SX 20 IS

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
These lots going on up there at the moment so I'm sure you'll find "it does it for you" !  I made some filters for my 20x80 binos and just the view through them is a joy.

Shout if ya need any more help.

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook