Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Seymour Solar Filters  (Read 2968 times)

Offline mitchfry

• Astroandall
Seymour Solar Filters
« on: 15:31:07, 25 June, 2011 »
Thinking of getting a solar filter for my 132mm (and give me something to do during the day!) and came across Seymour, an American firm. Their filters are "natural" and work out about £80, which seems reasonable to me. Anybody used Seymour Solar filters? I`ve not done any solar imaging before, so I`m not after trying anything special.
Mitch
WO FLT132mm, CGE mount, SBIG ST-2000XCM. Captured and processed in MaximDL. Under the "sunny" skies of South Yorkshire :).

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Re: Seymour Solar Filters
« Reply #1 on: 15:39:28, 25 June, 2011 »
Not come across them myself but I guess with Baader being a German company it makes sense that they are the preferred choice for UK retailers.

Found this on Cloudy Night (http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2091). Cost is an obvious winner but it looks like Baader will give yo slightly better versatility but I guess as ever with this hobby; you get what you pay for !

Oh, regarding the comments on Baader brightness, my guess it that they tested ND3.8 rather than ND5.... I scared myself when using ND3.8 but never had a problem with ND5 !!

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #2 on: 18:01:04, 25 June, 2011 »
IMHO the Baader Solar Film is the way to go. It does what it says on the package.
I'd love to have the opportunity to test a Seymour filter with the spectroscope....it may well be OK but here in Europe and in Oz the Baader is #1
C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/astronomical_spectroscopy/
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline mitchfry

• Astroandall
« Reply #3 on: 19:25:52, 28 June, 2011 »
Thanks Simon for the review link. Since I just want to try out some basic solar imaging, I`m going to try out the Seymour filters. I like the idea that they specifically do one for the WO132 in an aluminium cell, so have gone for the thin film filter. See how it goes  ;)
Mitch
WO FLT132mm, CGE mount, SBIG ST-2000XCM. Captured and processed in MaximDL. Under the "sunny" skies of South Yorkshire :).

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook