Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: July 2011 Sky Guide  (Read 2727 times)

Offline koootzz

• Administrator
  • Poster God
July 2011 Sky Guide
« on: 19:15:14, 01 July, 2011 »

July Sky Guide

New moon on the 1st, full moon on the 15th.
A 2.8% illuminated crescent will be visible on the 2nd in the evening, this will be a really tough one to capture so have a go. An easier crescent will be visible on the following evening.

Planets

Mercury well placed for viewing at the beginning of the month, located in Cancer in the evening sky. Becoming more difficult from the middle of the month as it nears the Sun.

Venus will be visible in the early morning, approx ¾ hour before sunrise in the constellation Gemini.

Mars visible all month in Taurus, rising in the early hours of the morning.

Jupiter very well placed this month in Aries rising 1.30 at the start of the month, getting earlier as the month passes.

Saturn is visible during July in Virgo but setting earlier as the month passes

Comets visible this month (to mag 12)

Garradd (2009 P1) will be visible in the early hours, with better views in the South of the country.

ISS Passes

There are only a few visible ISS passes occurring at the end of the month.
For 10 day listings for your location please check www.heavens-above.com (free registration required).

Deep Sky

Best deep sky imaging is from the 1st to the 8th and from the 24th on.

As last month, deep sky imaging during July is difficult but objects can be captured, look for brighter objects for best results.
Cygnus is well worth concentrating on this month with it's wealth of objects, last months objects are all still worth trying for this month.
Leigh
vixen 60s, modded 1000D, modded 300D, DSI I, 10" dob (work in progress), some other bits and a stupendous talent for attracting cloud!

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
Re: July Sky Guide
« Reply #1 on: 00:32:46, 09 July, 2011 »
Any ISS docked shuttle passes predicted?  I guess this opportunity won't come again
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #2 on: 08:54:34, 09 July, 2011 »
We went through the ISS passing stage last week and the week before mate and I think it only comes round once a month or something like that so me may be lucky towards the end of the flight as I think they're up there for 12 days !

Fingers crossed we see it and we have some clear skies !

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline koootzz

• Administrator
  • Poster God
« Reply #3 on: 11:33:05, 09 July, 2011 »
Unfortunately we're not going to see it, Atlantis is scheduled to undock on the 18th but the next pass isn't until the 28th.
Leigh
vixen 60s, modded 1000D, modded 300D, DSI I, 10" dob (work in progress), some other bits and a stupendous talent for attracting cloud!

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #4 on: 13:35:36, 09 July, 2011 »
 :(  Cheers
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012