Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: September 2011 Sky Guide  (Read 2308 times)

Offline koootzz

• Administrator
  • Poster God
September 2011 Sky Guide
« on: 00:43:43, 30 August, 2011 »

September Sky Guide 2011

Full moon on the 12th, new moon on the 27th.
The Piscids meteor shower has a favourable peak on the 21st although a slow hourly rate.

Planets

Mercury visible in the morning before dawn at the start of the month, reaching greatest western elongation on the 3rd. The planet will remain viewable until around the 18th when it becomes too close to the sun for safe observation.

Venus is not viewable this month.

Mars visible after after approx 1.30 in Gemini before moving into Cancer after the 15th.

Jupiter well placed in Aries during September. Io transits the planet on the 13th with it's shadow appearing on the planet around 22.24 with the transit completing about 01.35.

Saturn is poorly placed during September and not really viewable.

Comets visible this month (to mag 12)

C/2010 G2 Hill is visible through the month in Lynx
Garradd (2009 P1) will be visible throughout the month. For the first six days of the month the comet will be close to Brocchi's cluster in Vulpecula.
45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova visible in Leo and passes close to Leo on the 25th.

ISS Passes

There are a few visible ISS passes from the 21st of the month, most occurring within the hour before dawn.
For 10 day listings for your location please check www.heavens-above.com (free registration required).

Deep Sky

Best deep sky imaging is from the 1st to the 4th and from the 20th on.

For those lucky enough to have a good Southern view M16 and M17 are well placed this month with several other Messier targets close by including M8, the Lagoon Nebula.
For the rest of us,Cygnus still dominates the sky. If you haven't yet managed to capture any of it's objects then give them a go.
Perseus' double cluster makes a nice target for those with a wider view as do the nearby Heart and Soul nebulas.
M45 will have risen high enough after midnight if you want to be one of the first to get it this season.
Leigh
vixen 60s, modded 1000D, modded 300D, DSI I, 10" dob (work in progress), some other bits and a stupendous talent for attracting cloud!

Offline Andrew Avila

Re: September 2011 Sky Guide
« Reply #1 on: 08:59:05, 08 October, 2011 »
When the typhoons clear and the stars are bright, we get great views here in the Philippines. Still learning but its a fantastic learning curve.
SPAM LINKS DELETED (Admin)

Offline Bertha

Re: September 2011 Sky Guide
« Reply #2 on: 23:53:58, 18 November, 2011 »
I get a great view of the night sky out here in the country. I don't know a lot about what I see, but I'm learning, which is really exciting.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012