Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Theory of Relativity on Black Holes  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Wilsons102

Theory of Relativity on Black Holes
« on: 22:07:24, 17 September, 2011 »
Ok i was pondering today while watching Dr Kaku, as you do. There is a lot of talk about the flaw in Einstein's theory according to that at a distance of 0 from the centre of a black hole gravity becomes infinity and time stops which physicists claim must be a flaw as this is impossible. I myself do know a good amount of physics but i am by no means a "physicist" but what if that truly is the answer and not a flaw. Black holes are monsters beyond general comprehension why can that not be a logical explanation for what happens in the centre of a black hole. If space gravity and time are all interlinked and the mass of a black hole is unbelievably large and the gravitational forces are equally monstrous then why can time "not" stop at its centre point or (Singularity) maybe they distort space and time so much that physics itself really does collapse at the focal point. Or that the answer is infinity because we can only see when the black hole is feeding on matter that we can observe. What about the rest of matter we cant see, dark matter ? Dark energy ? what if the black hole is continuously feeding without us knowing. If its feeding at an infinite rate, then its mass is gaining infinitely, so why cant the gravity be infinite also? Any Real physicists or science buffs out there with any idea's ?

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
    • Stoneage Observatory blog
Re: Theory of Relativity on Black Holes
« Reply #1 on: 23:46:02, 17 September, 2011 »
in physics the problem with any equation that results in "infinity" is that infinity is not a number in any sense, effectively if means to continue expanding without limit.  If gravity truly did that in a black hole then the entire universe would be sucked into it and that clearly hasn't happened.  (the effect of gravity decreases in an inverse square law, this means that as you move away from an object its gravitational effect on you drops away very rapidly, infinite gravity wouldn't do this, it would still be infintily strong wherever you were in relation to the source as when you do any mathematical functions with infinity the answer always remains infinity.)

"if space gravity and time are all interlinked..."  they are not, according to relativity gravity is a distortion of "spacetime" which is the fabric that the universe is made of, time cannot stop in a black hole because if it did then the fabric of the universe would cease to be, stopping "time" is in effect exactly the same as removing "length" from the universe, it simply doesn't make any sense in the universe as we currently understand it.

For the last section, it doesn't matter what the black hole is eating, using Einstein's relativity equations you can create a singularity of any mass you like, the type of matter involved and the amount consumed is irrelevant and makes no difference to the outcome of the equations.  Black holes cannot possibly consume matter at an infinite rate, if they did they would consume the entire universe in an instant, again infinity is not a number, it is growth without constraint which is not physically possible.

all this doesn't mean that relativity is wrong, it means it is just incomplete in the same way that newton's laws of motion and gravitation were incomplete and were superceded by relativity eventually relativity will be superceded by a theory that better explains these extreme environments (newtons laws of motion and gravitation are still used in space exploration for planning the orbits and trajectories of spacecraft and probes, newtons equations are used in preference because they are much simpler to work with and at the speeds our probes currently go the answers are identical within the error bars of equipment performance so there is no point in using the much more difficult relativity equations in a practical scenario like that).  This flaw (amongst others) is very useful as it points the way for physicists to the next theory.

Of course the other option is that it may well be impossible to get to a distance of 0 from a singularity, perhaps the planck length is our saviour here, if you are any distance other than 0 from a black hole then gravity ceases to be infinite and instead becomes simply Very, Very large perhaps when physicists finally manage to explain gravity in quantum mechanical terms we will find that a singularity actually does have a size and that therefore there is no "distance zero" and hence no problem to be solved..

Hope all that makes sense, I'm off to bed now which is something I should have done hours ago...

Offline Wilsons102

Re: Theory of Relativity on Black Holes
« Reply #2 on: 07:51:40, 18 September, 2011 »
Thanks for that expanation thats that cleared up   :thumbup: i think you are right about the imposibility of distance 0 much more logical explanation im still learning after all.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook