Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Building a Fluxgate Magnetometer  (Read 21730 times)

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
  • Making equipment is far more fun than buying it.
    • The Curdridge Observatory
Re: Building a Fluxgate Magnetometer
« Reply #75 on: 12:06:35, 31 December, 2013 »
I've plotted the temperature of the sensor on the same chart now

http://astro.neutral.org/magnetometer/fluxgate-magnetometer-arduino.php?days=180

You can clearly see how the slight changes in temperature mess with the readings!

I'm half tempted to dig up the FGM and add a heater.

Tak Sky 90, Atik 490, Homemade Mount, OAG, Lodestar

The Curdridge Observatory

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #76 on: 18:10:52, 05 January, 2014 »
Over Christmas I've hooked up an external temperature sensor and a barometric pressure sensor to the same arduino running the magnetometer... so I can now do this :)

http://astro.neutral.org/weather-station/curdridge-SO30-weather-station-arduino.php

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #77 on: 08:50:04, 15 March, 2014 »
Just having a look at the fluxgate magnetometer data today - extended the graph to run all the way from Jun 2013 to present

http://astro.neutral.org/magnetometer/fluxgate-magnetometer-arduino.php?days=365

Very clearly shows how the diurnal variation almost disappears around mid-winter.

The variation with temperature is also very clear - it looks like a temperature shift of 1 degree causes a change of a similar magnitude to the diurnal variation.

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #78 on: 12:06:11, 29 August, 2016 »
I know this is an old thread, but here in Curdridge the magnetometer is still running... now upgraded to have 2 axis.

I've pulled the data around the time of the devastating Italy earthquake a few days ago. Seems to be a large disturbance in the Earth's magnetic field at the same time as the quake.  There are a lot of articles on the internet about theories of precursory magnetic fluctuations, but I feel this is just AFTER the event. 

I regularly look at the data when there is a large earthquake, but this is the first time I've actually seen something significant. Probably because this is the closest 'quake I've had when the equipment has been running.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #79 on: 10:43:55, 30 August, 2016 »
Interesting. I would be curious to see the result from a recording much closer to the epicentre.

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #80 on: 15:17:01, 01 September, 2016 »
Interesting indeed Tom ! 

I really must get mine fully up and running, particularly as I now have everything else built (obsy, garden, workshop etc).... just need to find some time...

S.

Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #81 on: 15:59:46, 01 September, 2016 »
Mine had a period of downtime, and then I got it running with 2 axis in about May this year. Having problems with humidity again despite my best efforts.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #82 on: 17:18:29, 01 September, 2016 »
How deep is it buried Tom ?  Can you fill it with something like silica gel beads (I'm guessing you're tried that though) ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #83 on: 17:36:22, 01 September, 2016 »
It is in 6 inches of sealed  pipe buried 150cm down. A single wire runs down to it. I've done my best to seal it, and it is full of molecular sieves.  I even tested it in a bucket of water.

The humidity stayed <5% until the beginning of august. Then it started rapidly going up. Now on about 13% and going up about 0.5% per day.

Most likely some leak and the dessicant has saturated.

Obviously 13% is still pretty darn dry so it will probably run a long time yet before it fills with water.

There may also be something more complicated happening with the sieve and the temperature. Or just some moisture diffusing through the glue etc. Nothing to do except watch it!

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #84 on: 17:49:05, 03 September, 2016 »
This is the live chart of the two axis. Pretty bumpy in the last couple of days.

http://astro.neutral.org/magnetometer/NSEWfluxgate-magnetometer-arduino.php?days=5

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook