Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Mobile Observatory for Android  (Read 1285 times)

Offline koootzz

• Administrator
  • Poster God
Mobile Observatory for Android
« on: 22:17:05, 29 December, 2011 »
Mobile Observatory by KreApps (Android phones)

I've tried some mobile planetariums in the past and found them to be a little low on features so I was interested to see this app being recommended on some Android discussion boards.

The app is not free but at a little over £3 (inc VAT) is not going to break the bank.

As with all android apps the installation is dealt with easily. Once opening the user is presented with a menu that allows you to choose lists of objects in six categories, Solar system, Bright Asteroids, Bright Comets, Brightest Stars, Meteor Showers and Deep Sky. Across the top of the menu items is a +/- system to advance forward or backward in time, below this are shortcuts for Menu, Calendar, Sky view, Objects, Twilight and Moon. Also available at the bottom of the screen is a top down view of the solar system and the opportunity to search for objects 4 in categories (Asteroids, Stars, Comets and Deep Sky).

Each of the six menu buttons gives the user a list of objects in it's respective category, each object having a fair amount of information available such as rise and set times, magnitude, co-ordinates etc. There is, where applicable, a calendar of upcoming events such as conjunctions.

The comets section has some good information about comets currently visible from the users location but has a strange bug where clicking the ephemeris button brings up information about Halley.

Deep sky covers both Messier and Caldwell catalogues, again with plenty of useful info for each object.

The sky view is pretty good for a handheld, showing constellations, bright stars, solar system objects and also objects from the Messier and Caldwell catalogues but can get a little crowded when zooming out.

Objects, Twilight and the Moon shortcuts give, as expected, information about the respective category. The objects list can be made to show Rise/Set times, Alt/Az and Mag, Visibilty bar and RA/Dec with mag. The visibility bar is a nice touch as it combines the times the objects are viewable with their position and altitude.

As mobile astro apps go this is the best one I've tried so far. Ok, it's never going to match a pc app but as a 'pocket' reference it's not bad at all and lets face it, for £3 you're not going even going to get a planisphere.
Leigh
vixen 60s, modded 1000D, modded 300D, DSI I, 10" dob (work in progress), some other bits and a stupendous talent for attracting cloud!

Offline cugsy

• Poster God
  • www.wetshedastronomy.dum
Re: Mobile Observatory for Android
« Reply #1 on: 14:15:16, 30 December, 2011 »
I'd love it Leigh - but it won't work on my Blackberry
Woe unto him ..or her..who tries to guide the LX90. Let him..or her..rejoice in a lightweight scope upon the mighty EQ6. Mind you,I'd sooner be looking through my 6"f8 while the clouds look down the 8"f4 Le marchant configuration. And there should be a constellation called 'Camelot' and I would worship it in the anticipation of a big lottery win. Maybe I'll move to the Isle of Man..damn these drug

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012