Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Newbie needs help connecting DSLR to Skywatcher 130M Scope..  (Read 18502 times)

Offline jtomo

Help...

I am a newbie to Astronomy and I have just bought my first telescope to get me going. I got the SkyWatcher 130mm Motorised version with the 900mm focal length.

http://www.nauticalia.com/uk-info/optical/telescopes/explorer_telescope/90769.html

Paid £135 so not too bad a price.

I really like photography and would like to get some nice images of the moon specifically, but possibly other planets.

My question is how on earth "No Pun Intended" do I connect a canon EOS 400D to this telescope and what exactly do I need to do this?

Hyperlinks to the adapters required would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JTomo

Offline Phillyo

• Poster God
Re: Newbie needs help connecting DSLR to Skywatcher 130M Scope..
« Reply #1 on: 13:26:41, 03 January, 2012 »
First of all, welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here and you'll find answers to all your questions somewhere.

Ok onto your questions. Unfortunately there's no simple "Use this" answer. To attach a DSLR to a Telescope you need to get a T-Ring Adapter from somewhere like here: http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html (bottom of the page).

That connects to the camera where the lens would go and you slip it into where the eyepiece would go. Having said that, I can't see from your link if your telescope has a 2" or a 1 1/4" eyepiece.

To take pictures of the moon you need a fairly fast shutter speed so the mount you have with it isn't a problem, but for taking images of the planets and any deep space objects you need a very sturdy mount and one that can track across the sky accurately. Something like the EQ-6 etc. However for now, the T-Ring on your canon camera will attach to the telescope for imaging purposes.

I think that's about right, I'm sure someone more knowledgable than myself will correct me if i'm wrong as I'm very new to astrophotography too :)

Regards,
P.
Astrotrac | Avalon Linear Fast Reverse with EQmod | WO Star 71 | Astrodon 3nm Ha, 5nm SII and 5nm OIII | Astro-modded Canon 450D | QSI 583wsg | Lodestar X2 Guidecam | Sequence Generator Pro | Pixinsight

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
« Reply #2 on: 13:48:56, 03 January, 2012 »
In addition to camera specific T ring you need this
"2" to T thread adapter with 2" filter threads".
Hm, this point I googled and it seems that there's only 1 1/4" eyepiece.
But there are these adapters as well:
http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Imagers-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_5_0_3_720

Then there's a possibility that there isn't enough inward travel (meaning that you can't have your camera close enough to reach focus).
If that's the case then the easiest solution is to use barlow with T thread.
Like this (and barlow is a good purchase anyway):
http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/antares/barlow/astrophotography/t-thread.html
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #3 on: 14:15:23, 03 January, 2012 »
Then there's a possibility that there isn't enough inward travel (meaning that you can't have your camera close enough to reach focus).

Sadly it's not just a possibility with the 130P, it's a fact !  My first scope way back when was the 130P and I couldn't get my 400d to reach focus !!

The upside however is that you say you want to image the moon and planets and if that then case then a DSLR isn't the best/right camera to use anyway.... you're far better off with a webcam type camera that takes high frame rates that you stack in software like Registax !!  

Depending upon your budget there's plenty to choose from but if you're on a tight budget then try and track down a Phillips SPC900NC or similar (e.g. http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/webcam_Astro_Imaging_Kit.html) !

Hope that helps and a big welcome to UKAI !  Be sure to show us your first lights and just shout if you have more questions  :thumbup:

S
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline jtomo

« Reply #5 on: 17:15:25, 03 January, 2012 »
I also have a compact slr, Sony nex c3.......is this any better?

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
« Reply #6 on: 21:19:35, 03 January, 2012 »
Will this not work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-eos-1-25-T-Adapter-set-/110800850964?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item19cc3ed014#ht_500wt_922

Yes it will fit your equipment but like Simon said you likely can't reach focus.
But if you screw in a barlow lens in that piece...
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #8 on: 12:26:47, 04 January, 2012 »
I think you should prepare youself for it not working but really interested to know if it does.

A couple of other things it might be worth pointing out is that the 1.25" adapter isn't really big enough for a DSLR or large chip camera so you'll almopst certainly suffer from some vignetting (like looking through a keyhole !) and the other issue is that whilst using the DSLR with a Barlow will solve the focus problem it will also mean that the scope will now have a focal length of 1800mm (2x900).  Whilst this isn't a problem for imaging the moon/planets as you want to be up close and personal, what it does mean is that tracking and polar alignment will need to be pretty good to keep the object you're imaging in the field of view !

What mount did you get with the scope ?

Sorry to seem like a dealer of doom (which is in no way my intention) but I've been there myself and learnt the hard way and just want to warn you of what to expect.

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline jtomo

« Reply #9 on: 16:58:11, 04 January, 2012 »
EQ2 mount

Offline jtomo

« Reply #11 on: 20:49:50, 05 January, 2012 »

Any good - this was without a camera attachment and directly through the lens.

Jon

Offline quigonjim

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:31:23, 05 January, 2012 »
Hi Jon,

Would agree with the likelihood of focus issues connecting a DSLR to this scope. I'm currently using the SW130 and - despite a few attempts to correct for the focus problem.. (moving mirrors and suchlike) am currently weighing up the pros and cons of manually shortening the focus tube (with a saw!). Like other's have said.. i'm sure it'll work just fine with a barlow in place (without voiding any warranty) and it certainly doesn't stop you learning a lot!

Alex

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #13 on: 22:14:02, 05 January, 2012 »
Any good

They certainly are Jon.... well done  :clap:

Digi-scoping (which is what you are doing) is actually the other option you have if you do find you can't reach focus with the adapter when they arrive.  You can actually get adapters to hold the camera in place which may be worth considering  :thumbup:

Keep em coming.
S.
Simon

Offline Justal

• A Simple Life of Luxury
« Reply #14 on: 08:32:46, 06 January, 2012 »
How did you get on with this? I've recently got a Skywatcher Explorer 130M for my son and I as our first telescope. When researching what to buy we specifically asked if we'd be able to fit my Canon EOS 450D to it and were told we'd just need a T mount. This doesn't seem to be the case, so I'm now going to ask questions here before buying anything else - No doubt this will be the first of many posts, so thanks in advance for you help!

We've had some good results so far observing with the scope so now want to do some astro-photography through it so that we can share our adventures in astronomy through our weblog. I phoned another shop and asked what we'd need and again I was told the T mount would be sufficient as the focussing tube already has a thread for it.

The T mount arrived, and it does indeed allow a physical connection to be made between the Skywatcher 130M and the SLR. However, as others have pointed out in this thread and elsewhere on these forums, there is insufficient inward travel on the focussing tube to achieve satisfactory focus with the camera

As a newbie with a brand new telescope, I'm not about to start modifying the scope in any significant way, but would like to use the SLR with it if at all possible. Some people have said that attaching the camera to the scope with a barow lens in place might help. Can anyone confirm this please? If that does work then I'm presuming that I could get a 1.25" T Adaptor that would fit into the barlow lens as a normal eyepiece does, and then I could attach the camera to that. I don't want to buy yet another little adaptor though unless I can be sure that it'll work. Has anyone managed to get this working properly?

If not, then I guess my only option will be a webcam, but that could get quite expensive, or possibly the digiscoping option mentioned by Simon above -  which would be best my best option?

Thanks again,
Al.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook