Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Newbie needs help connecting DSLR to Skywatcher 130M Scope..  (Read 19324 times)

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
Re: Newbie needs help connecting DSLR to Skywatcher 130M Scope..
« Reply #15 on: 11:50:39, 06 January, 2012 »
Like I said earlier this thread a barlow should do it so you can reach focus.

Webcams are not too pricey too - a Philips SPC880NC doesn't cost too much (don't know if they are still available anymore).
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline mr_pickle

Pickle

Currently sporting a Nikon D3100 + manfrotto tripod. Skywatcher ED80 in gold + EQ6, QHY5,

Offline jtomo

« Reply #17 on: 16:41:46, 06 January, 2012 »
Just waiting for my dslr thread and a clear night and I'll let you know.

Offline Bazzaar

• Poster God
« Reply #18 on: 18:30:49, 06 January, 2012 »

I was told the T mount would be sufficient as the focussing tube already has a thread for it.

Is this correct? I wasnt aware any scope had this, so does the eyepiece holder unscrew to reveal it?

Some people have said that attaching the camera to the scope with a barow lens in place might help. Can anyone confirm this please?

Yes, but you must remember the primary use of a barlow is to increase the focal length of a scope, ie provide magnification, so you will have a reduced field of view, this may or may not be an issue.

If that does work then I'm presuming that I could get a 1.25" T Adaptor that would fit into the barlow

Barlows are available that have the T thread machined into the top.

I guess my only option will be a webcam

I think you will find a webcam will have the same focussing problems and limit you to the moon and planets, but shouldn't be expensive, £30-ish.

Digiscoping is worth considering. The focussing problem is solved, the magnification/ field of view can be varied with the eyepiece and camera zoom.
One consideration will the scopes ability to take the load of a camera, will the scope still balance? will the focuser hold still when set? will the scope be wobbly?, the starter scopes aren't known for their mechanical sturdiness!

Barry
Tal 200k, SW 200P, iOptron iEQ45 pro, HEQ5 pro, QHY5III174m, QHY5L II mono, Samsung SBC 2001, SharpSky focuser, Zwo ADC,  Celestron 15x70 bins,

Offline Justal

• A Simple Life of Luxury
« Reply #19 on: 19:37:50, 06 January, 2012 »
Thanks for your reply Barry,

1. It is actually the eyepiece holder itself that has the thread for the T mount. This looks like a good idea to me, but kind of useless if there then isn't enough inward travel to achieve focus!

2. I don't think I'll mind the reduced field of view inherent in using a barlow Lens, at least, not to start with.

3. I've seen the barlow lenses with the T thread machined into the top, but as I already have a barlow lens it'll be cheaper to simply buy a T adaptor that fits into the barlow lens - would this still be OK?

4. Hmmm, if the webcam will have the same focussing issues then maybe that isn't the way forward - especially as it might work out quite a bit more expensive than the £30 because a webcam might also necessitate the need for a laptop as well!

5. I think you are probably right about the digi-scoping with regard to the sturdiness (or lack thereof) of the scope. Maybe that isn't really an option in this case.

So, it looks therefore as though my best option at the moment will be a T adaptor and use the barlow lens and my SLR - Has anyone actually tried this with positive results using the Explorer 130? I'm not really sure 'why' using the barlow lens would work, so it would be good to get confirmation before buying yet another adaptor.

Thanks,
Al.

Offline jtomo

« Reply #20 on: 20:37:22, 06 January, 2012 »
My T adapter and camera attachment have arrived, just need a clear night and I will confirm back success or otherwise.

Offline mr_pickle

« Reply #21 on: 21:17:31, 06 January, 2012 »
Pickle

Currently sporting a Nikon D3100 + manfrotto tripod. Skywatcher ED80 in gold + EQ6, QHY5,

Offline Bazzaar

• Poster God
« Reply #22 on: 21:37:00, 06 January, 2012 »
3. I've seen the barlow lenses with the T thread machined into the top, but as I already have a barlow lens it'll be cheaper to simply buy a T adaptor that fits into the barlow lens - would this still be OK?
Yes that would still be ok
5. I think you are probably right about the digi-scoping with regard to the sturdiness (or lack thereof) of the scope. Maybe that isn't really an option in this case.
Well, digiscoping or T adapter, the same camera is now hanging off the scope. It is know to be an issue with cameras overloading the focuser of scopes of much higher cost. Some digiscope adapters clamp to the body of the focuser which avoids the problem. Swings and round-abouts.

I'm not really sure 'why' using the barlow lens would work, so it would be good to get confirmation before buying yet another adaptor.
As I said, a barlow increases the focal length of a scope, literally point at which focus occurs is extended out of the scope focuser a short distance.

Barry
Tal 200k, SW 200P, iOptron iEQ45 pro, HEQ5 pro, QHY5III174m, QHY5L II mono, Samsung SBC 2001, SharpSky focuser, Zwo ADC,  Celestron 15x70 bins,

Offline quigonjim

• Starting Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:33:01, 07 January, 2012 »
There's a thread on stargazers lounge about a non-destructive mod you can do to this scope which allows prime focus. I'll be trying something like this myself when I get a minute. Will let you know how I get on.
http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/47872-going-mod-my-skywatcher-130p.html

Alex

Offline Justal

• A Simple Life of Luxury
« Reply #24 on: 16:49:47, 07 January, 2012 »
That does sound good, but I don't thnk I'm brave enough to start making too many modifications to the scope itself yet.

I think the Barlow lens and T adaptor will be my best option at the moment... Although, when testing it with eyepieces today I had to move the focusser further in to achieve focus than I did without the Barlow, not further out.

The T adaptor is fairly inexpensive though, so I'll try that to start with.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Al.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012