Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: SharpSky ASCOM focuser - PCB based kit  (Read 37505 times)

Offline DrRobin

Re: SharpSky ASCOM focuser - PCB based kit
« Reply #15 on: 19:30:29, 15 May, 2012 »
Hi Dave,

I can't believe I order two 12V motors from China at the end of Jan for my pre-kit SharpSky and they only arrived a week or two back.  I have modified my Quattro focuser to take the new motor and the 12V really gives it a lot of grunt.

Pictures at

www.drrobin.co.uk/Sharpsky/Quattro-Focuser-12V.JPG
www.drrobin.co.uk/Sharpsky/Quattro-Focuser-12V-2.JPG

The links are case sensitive, so best just to use copy and paste.

Now that I have a new focuser for my C11, that will be the next project.

Great project Dave.

Robin

Offline dtrewren

• UKAI Sponsor
  • Poster God
    • Dave's AstroImages
« Reply #16 on: 21:44:08, 15 May, 2012 »
Hi Robin,

Crumbs that is a long wait for a couple of motors - China is a long way but bits should never really take more than three weeks.  The motor look a little different from the one I used, are they they same motors ? If you are using a different motor I'd be interested in a link/specification if you have information to hand.

The build looks really good, nice spot of fabrication.  The 12V motors with the gearbox are certainly deceptively powerful and generate loads of torque for their size.

Cheers & thanks for the feedback.  If you need any more parts let me know.

Clear skies,

Dave
HEQ5 Pro
Skywatcher 80ED & 120ED
Skywatcher 80 short guidescopes
Altair Astro 8" f/4 Newt
Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED widefield
Lunt60 PT + DS + DMK41
QHY9M + FW (LRGB & NB)
QHY10 OSC
Focuser & Dew control : SharpSky Pro
Starshoot autoguider

Offline wasyoungonce

• My attempts at pretty pics
« Reply #17 on: 08:06:50, 16 May, 2012 »
Hi Dave

finally completed the 2nd Sharpsky kit for David.  I was waiting for some step drills to arrive.  Almost impossible to make nice round holes of ~13mm with a normal drill.  Step drills...no sweat!  I pretty much butchered my 1st case  :duh:...I should be able to get a replacement here.

I put M3 nylon washers between the PCB and 4 case locating lugs so the screws acted on the washers.  Helps spread the load and reduces risk of screws penetrating too far.

Also, have you considered putting the PCB on the case lid...that is to extend out the connectors ~2mm out on the PCB (so they fit flush wit the sides), put the PCB so it's on the lid with tracks facing the top of the lid...so the connector cut-outs can be square in lieu of round. 

Although the temp and hand controller connectors fit with the round cut-outs it would be a lot neater and more positive in connection with the above.

Anyway....food for future thought.  keep up the good work...this systems works a treat! :thumbup:

Brendan

Offline dtrewren

• UKAI Sponsor
  • Poster God
    • Dave's AstroImages
« Reply #18 on: 12:00:10, 16 May, 2012 »
Hi Brendan,

Yes indeed those stepped drills are really useful especially for cutting plastic ABS style boxes.  A normal drill will tend to snatch and tear the plastic making nasty hole.  The tapered drill is real nice to use and produces a much cleaner hole in a soft material.  I got a set of three in a pouch off ebay for about ten quid and use them all the time.

I did think about using the lid for mounting the board.  My original enclosure didn't have lid mounted lugs and by time I had said lugs the board was already made.  I have lots of spare boards now so will probably have to stick with the current mounting system.

Pleased everything is working well :) I have been very pleased as so far as knowone seems to have had a problem.  There was one board with a tiny manufacturing defect (apologies Simon) which needed some attention but other than that all is well.

If anyone else is interested in a kit or built/tested board I still have plenty of parts.

Cheers & clear skies,

Dave
HEQ5 Pro
Skywatcher 80ED & 120ED
Altair Astro 8" f/4 Newt
Lunt60 PT + DS + DMK41
QHY9M + FW (LRGB & NB)
QHY10 OSC
Starshoot autoguider

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #19 on: 12:32:01, 16 May, 2012 »
(not a problem mate - these things do happen and usually always to me  :duh:  I'm just glad it wasn't my build  :yes:)
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline DrRobin

« Reply #20 on: 20:32:48, 16 May, 2012 »
Hi Dave,

Actually I am been unfair on my far east supplier, they were ordered at the end of the first week in Feb and arrived sometime in April.  I can't quite remember when, as I was on hols for a bit and then away for work a lot.  I suspect the first lot went missing and the supplier eventually just sent two more.  Apart from the long wait they did answer my emails quickly and I got the motors eventually.

The part I bought is as follows

35BYJ-412B High Quality Stepper Motor 12V (#280775050338)   --    

I can't remember if it is the same part you use, but it's slightly bigger than the 5v version, but otherwise similar.  It works with the same driver board and cables once I swapped the feed from 5v to 12v.

Encouraged by getting the newt focuser to work I started work on my C11 SharpSky project and it is nearly done.  I realise I haven't got a spare beam coupler so made one from some aluminium rod, that's not quite finished yet and I still have the motor to wire up, but will do that at work tomorrow.  I posted pictures of the C11 focuser attached to a Baader Steel Track.

www.drrobin.co.uk/Sharpsky/Photo-c11-sharpsky1.jpg
www.drrobin.co.uk/Sharpsky/Photo-c11-sharpsky2.jpg
www.drrobin.co.uk/Sharpsky/Photo-c11-sharpsky3.jpg

Regards

Robin

Offline dtrewren

• UKAI Sponsor
  • Poster God
    • Dave's AstroImages
« Reply #21 on: 21:39:53, 16 May, 2012 »
Hi Robin,

Interesting motor, thanks for the information - of course I had to order one  :D

Nice find, this motor has impressive pull in torque and appears to be the big brother of the one I used.  It's a bit more expensive but still less that £10 per unit.  Look forward to getting hold of one and giving it a try.  Might prove a useful replacement for anyone having a large focuser payload.

If you need another beam coupler I can send you one as have just received a new batch.

Nice work on the C11, be very interested to hear how you get on with the bigger motor !

Good job & clear skies,

Dave

HEQ5 Pro
Skywatcher 80ED & 120ED
Altair Astro 8" f/4 Newt
Lunt60 PT + DS + DMK41
QHY9M + FW (LRGB & NB)
QHY10 OSC
Starshoot autoguider

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #22 on: 09:45:19, 17 May, 2012 »
Looking good Robin..... can I just ask where you got the spacer mounting bolts that attach the bar to the focuser from ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline dtrewren

• UKAI Sponsor
  • Poster God
    • Dave's AstroImages
« Reply #23 on: 09:48:20, 17 May, 2012 »
Hi Simon,

Before you buy some spacer posts let me know what length you need, got loads here of all different lengths plastic & metal.  I can post you some save you the hassle.

Clear skies,

Dave
HEQ5 Pro
Skywatcher 80ED & 120ED
Altair Astro 8" f/4 Newt
Lunt60 PT + DS + DMK41
QHY9M + FW (LRGB & NB)
QHY10 OSC
Starshoot autoguider

Offline Spikey

• Starting Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:21:34, 18 May, 2012 »
I was looking for some spacers as well but not sure about the length. Do I needs a particular type of spacer? Just wondered how it attached to the underside.
Does anyone have a diagram they could share for an aluminium bracket for the SW ED80? I need to make on but haven't started it yet.
Skywatcher NEQ6 EQDIR/EQMOD

Skywatcher ED80 Pro - Skywatcher SW 200P - Skywatcher Skymax 127 GOTO - Skywatcher ST80 guidescope + Atik 16ic/QHY5/PHD

Atik16HR+SX FW+Astronomik HaLRGB & Baader Ha,Hb,OIII,SII

Canon 1000D (self modded) + APT

Offline dtrewren

• UKAI Sponsor
  • Poster God
    • Dave's AstroImages
« Reply #25 on: 15:46:20, 18 May, 2012 »
Hi Simon,

Apologies I was supposed to be taking some photos for you to show my bracket - if I had a brain I'd be dangerous :)

For the ED80 you shouldn't need any spacers.  I used a strip of 1.5mm thick aluminium about 25mm wide.  The strip had a slight S-bend to clear the focuser knob and then has the motor box mounted on the end ...... bit difficult to explain this video shows the bracket I made fitted.  The video shows the bracket fitted to an ED80 scope but the focuser shown is the upgraded model not the stock focuser although they are very similar.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the stock focuser as have recently sold it.  A bracket for the stock focuser would be almost identical to the one show in the video and would not require spacers.

Any questions fire away !

Clear skies,

Dave
HEQ5 Pro
Skywatcher 80ED & 120ED
Altair Astro 8" f/4 Newt
Lunt60 PT + DS + DMK41
QHY9M + FW (LRGB & NB)
QHY10 OSC
Starshoot autoguider

Offline dtrewren

• UKAI Sponsor
  • Poster God
    • Dave's AstroImages
« Reply #26 on: 16:37:49, 18 May, 2012 »
Further to last post ......

Personally I found it simpler to make the bracket and mount the motor enclosure onto the bracket then use the scope focuser spindle to define the point on the motor enclosure where the hole for the motor needs to be.  Drill the motor drive spindle hole in the motor enclosure and finally drill the motor mounting holes.

I think making the aluminium bracket to line the motor up is much more difficult.  My rule of thumb is always start with the harder difficult materials and finish with the soft easy ones :)

Clear skies,

Dave
HEQ5 Pro
Skywatcher 80ED & 120ED
Altair Astro 8" f/4 Newt
Lunt60 PT + DS + DMK41
QHY9M + FW (LRGB & NB)
QHY10 OSC
Starshoot autoguider

Offline Spikey

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:40:14, 18 May, 2012 »
No worries Dave, as you can see I've been super slack and not even built the kit yet. Spending too much time working away !
Skywatcher NEQ6 EQDIR/EQMOD

Skywatcher ED80 Pro - Skywatcher SW 200P - Skywatcher Skymax 127 GOTO - Skywatcher ST80 guidescope + Atik 16ic/QHY5/PHD

Atik16HR+SX FW+Astronomik HaLRGB & Baader Ha,Hb,OIII,SII

Canon 1000D (self modded) + APT

Offline dtrewren

• UKAI Sponsor
  • Poster God
    • Dave's AstroImages
« Reply #28 on: 16:42:39, 18 May, 2012 »
 :D you could take the kit with you although in the past I have found hotels and B&B's get a bit funny if you start soldering stuff up in the rooms - you said don't smoke, nothing about not soldering !
HEQ5 Pro
Skywatcher 80ED & 120ED
Altair Astro 8" f/4 Newt
Lunt60 PT + DS + DMK41
QHY9M + FW (LRGB & NB)
QHY10 OSC
Starshoot autoguider

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #29 on: 20:25:54, 18 May, 2012 »
Great, cheers Dave - don't know what size I need but will drop you a line when I get there !

:thumbup:
Simon

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook