Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Filter Design.....Following On  (Read 1497 times)

Offline stealthtech

• Poster God
  • "Always pass on, what you have learned"
Filter Design.....Following On
« on: 16:47:46, 25 May, 2012 »
Cheers for the input in Brians' image thread, Si. Your explanation was kind of what I was thinking, but didn't explain too well.

I'd imagined that, for example, a 2" off centre aperture, although avoiding the central obstruction, would still only grab the same ammount of photons as a standard 2" scope. Obviously the larger the aperture the better. This should be balanced against how much light any obstructions will restrict.....surely in a Mak there can't be that much of an obstruction to reduce the light grabbing capacity by a significant ammount over the rest of the aperture (is there?). That's was my thinking, does it sound logical  :canadian: :crazy:?

Hmmmm, an idea.....it might be interesting to do a comparison when I've made the filter for the Mak. Mask the largest aperture I can off centre and do a direct comparison between the two, to see how it affects things in practice.

Martyn

P.S. I'm sitting here aching to get out and give it a whirl.....Bern's had a run on the solar film and is momentarily out of stock. I keep looking outside, seeing the sun and it's doing my head in. You know the weather is going to turn next week when it arrives  :wounded:
Martyn
SW200P (f/5) Newt, ST80, WO ZS66, ED80 Pro, Skymax 150 Pro,
SPC900NC, QHY5V Mono, QHY8 OSC, EOS 500D (modded)
NEQ6 Pro, EQMOD
An infinitely expanding box of accessories
Roll off roof obsy with warm room

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
  • Only dead fish go with the flow.
    • MAS Website - my pics at the link
Re: Filter Design.....Following On
« Reply #1 on: 18:07:18, 28 May, 2012 »
In theory (mine at least.  ;) ) a 2" off axis mask will give you the same resolution as a 2" scope, but with the focal length of the scope it's on the front of - so, effectively increasing the F-Ratio of the scope.
Cheaper & safer for visual, but not particularly necessary for white light imaging.
Some H-Alpha filters need an F-Ratio of f10 or f15 to work properly (e.g. Daystar's) So stopping down the aperture is an alternative to barlowing up to achieve the necessary F-Ratio.
Personally I always go for the best resolution I can get - hence my full aperture filter for my 12" LX200!  :D Although it doesn't get used much as the seeing conditions you need at that scale don't come along very often during the daytime.  :(

David.
EQ6 pro & home made pier, with various combinations of the following... 8" & 12" LX200 OTA's, Orion ED80, TS65 quadruplet & Meade AR6 150mm refractors,Orion optics 6" F4 & GSO 8" F4 newts, Coronado Maxscope 60, DMK21 & 41, QHY8, modded 350D, Atik 314L. And not enough space to keep it all in!!!

Offline colinsk

• Designer In Light
« Reply #2 on: 15:03:42, 20 March, 2016 »
The other advantage of an off axis mask is the smaller aperture is less sensitive to seeing effects.

Offline MikeDunn

« Reply #3 on: 15:45:24, 20 March, 2016 »
 :whistle: seeing as the OP's not been around for 2.5 years ...

Seems to be a spate of zombie threads recently.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook