Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Maxscope 60 / TV pronto hybrid?  (Read 4032 times)

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
  • Only dead fish go with the flow.
    • MAS Website - my pics at the link
Maxscope 60 / TV pronto hybrid?
« on: 12:15:51, 18 June, 2012 »
Having just bought a TV pronto I was looking up reviews of them & stumbled across the fact that the Coronado SM60 filters will screw straight into the front of the Pronto.  :D
Great I thought, a possible simple improvement to the Maxscope - but - having taken the front etalon off the Maxscope it looks like there is an ERF at the end of the tube just behind the etalon.

Anyone know anything of the mechanicals of the Maxscopes?
Is it an ERF?
Presuming it is an ERF is there any easy way to incorporate it into the ProntoMax hybrid?

David.
EQ6 pro & home made pier, with various combinations of the following... 8" & 12" LX200 OTA's, Orion ED80, TS65 quadruplet & Meade AR6 150mm refractors,Orion optics 6" F4 & GSO 8" F4 newts, Coronado Maxscope 60, DMK21 & 41, QHY8, modded 350D, Atik 314L. And not enough space to keep it all in!!!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Re: Maxscope 60 / TV pronto hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: 12:18:09, 18 June, 2012 »
Can you post us some piccys David ?

It may be a blocking filter rather than a ERF as I would expect an ERF to be before the etalon not after it ?!

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #2 on: 12:35:47, 18 June, 2012 »
A photo would certainly help...
I have an older Solarmax 60 and removed the front etalon to double stack on another SM60 on the ED80 scope. No real issues.....
C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/astronomical_spectroscopy/
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
« Reply #3 on: 14:26:38, 18 June, 2012 »
Here you go - not the easiest thing to photograph though.  :whatever:

It is a nice shade of 'ERF red' & is flat, so obviously a filter of some description in front of the base scope's objective.

David.
EQ6 pro & home made pier, with various combinations of the following... 8" & 12" LX200 OTA's, Orion ED80, TS65 quadruplet & Meade AR6 150mm refractors,Orion optics 6" F4 & GSO 8" F4 newts, Coronado Maxscope 60, DMK21 & 41, QHY8, modded 350D, Atik 314L. And not enough space to keep it all in!!!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #4 on: 14:44:22, 18 June, 2012 »
Found this David which would indicate that it is indeed an ERF (http://www.stephenramsden.com/solarastrophotography/reviews/2008%20Coronado%20MaxScope%2060%20review.pdf) !  It's hard to see in your image but does the ERF come infront of or behind the objective ?

Either way, if it is an ERF (which it seems to be) then you'd need one for sure on the Pronto at 76mm aperture to save the objective.  I guess one solution would be to get a Baader D-ERF and put it in front of the etalon but that obviously costs money !

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #5 on: 17:08:46, 18 June, 2012 »
David/Simon,
In Stephen's review he shows a front SM60 etalon with a built-in ERF (look at the colour) and mounted onto a "normal" AR coated Objective...
This is identical to the one I have..
David, is there any ERF built into the etalon assembly??
If note, then it would appear the model you have has the ERF directly mounted in front of the objective...Hmmm very strange
Can it be unscrewed and re-fitted to the rear of the etalon??
C11, C9.25 SCT, 4" Genesis, NEQ6pro, modded 1000D,  ATik314L+, DMK41AF04, SM60DS/BF15, and Spectroscopes (many!).
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs", "Grating Spectroscopes-How to Use them" -Springer

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
« Reply #6 on: 19:04:51, 18 June, 2012 »
His description says 'blue objective' & an ERF inside the scope tube.
Otherwise, the photo's of his etalon look the same as mine.

The 'internal ERF' sounds a lilttle like a double stacked scope. From what I've been told by Dave Tyler the Coronado DS scopes had a 2nd etalon inside the tube - these were prone to something like the PST 'rusting' problem. Scopes with this problem are fine visually, but are hopeless for imaging. This was borne out by a DS scope that I borrowed & which had the exact symptoms.
That said, I'm sure someone with Stephen's experience would know the difference between an etalon & ERF.

David.

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #7 on: 19:19:40, 18 June, 2012 »
David,
My solarmax60 did not have an internal erf..there WAS a "mini-erf" which was part of the blocking filter assembly.
All the ITF type internal erf's seem to be prone to "thermal loading" breakdown - both the Coronado and the Lunt...
If your SM60 external etalon has the in-built ERF (Deep red from the front) then you'll be OK using that on another optical tube ie ED80 etc.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #8 on: 10:16:08, 19 June, 2012 »
David - I'm sure you're not but it sounds like you're confusing an etalon with an ERF.  An internal ERF wouldn't result in a double stack situation... as Ken says it was the front mini ERF that had rusting problems not the etalon.

My understanding would be that the internal ERF is there to protect (not only your eyes) but the objective lens from thermal stress unless the thinking is that at 60mm aperture it wouldn't need one which is the reason they moved the (rusty) ERF on the PST from the front lens and make it as Ken says part of the blocking filter to save your eyes.

Out of interest, can you get the ERF out of your maxscope or is it part of the objective lens cell ?

S.
Simon

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
« Reply #9 on: 15:48:10, 19 June, 2012 »
Simon - Yes I know the difference between the two.  ;) I was going on what I was told by DT - quite some time ago! :confused: So may just be a memory lapse on my part.

I've had a closer look at the ERF(?) & there's no easy way to get it out. However I did notice that it is mounted at a slight angle, so it most likely serves to stop internal reflections as well as acting as an ERF.

I've also taken a couple of better pictures of the etalon, hopefully it is as Ken says & the front glass is an ERF. It is somewhat scummy, so any tips on how to clean it will be gratefully received.  ;)

David.

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #10 on: 16:11:35, 19 June, 2012 »
Dave,
Looks identical to mine!
Don't honestly know why there would be a seconf ERF at the objective, unless the scope was originally used with an internal etalon???
The you you show will work very well (after a clean!) on any suitable refractor...
TBH you shouldn't have so much dirt on the front....keep it covered at all times except, obviously(!!) when it's in active use - if there's so much dust around - think of putting a wrap of gaffa tape around the T-max adjust to keep it out.
Cleaning - well that Baader Wonder fluid will do the job - I use an isopropal/ distilled water mix (<10:90) - blow off what you can with a Rocket Blaster (or equivalent)  a quick spray and then VERY gentle wipes from the centre to the outside - use a kitchen paper towel not those kleenex tissues...use one wipe - throw away; repeat - as necessary. When the rubbish has been removed breath on the surface and give it one last cleaning wipe ( the "prefered" method of cleaning TV eyepieces - truly - I've got it in writing!!) keep it covered.
Looks like, if you can remove that "extra" ERF you may have something to sell!!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #11 on: 16:14:51, 19 June, 2012 »
Eeeek - you dirty boy !  I've just cleaned my ERF with Baader cleaning fluid and cloth which works a treat.

I have to say I'm not one of these people who worries about cleaning lenses... if they are dirty I clean them... my reasoning being that modern coatings are hopefully pretty resilient.

Finally, yeap, it is best practise to mount an ERF at a slight angle to help reduce internal reflections although again I have to say on my PST- B90 mod I can't see a difference which ever way I have it.

S.
Simon

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
« Reply #12 on: 17:34:56, 19 June, 2012 »
It's not all my crud - honest.  :whistle: The scope is, at the very least, 3rd hand & had a fair amount of that crud when I got it. Since then I've stuck to the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' principle with the scope.
My eyepieces on the other hand,  :whistle: aren't anything special & generally just get breathed on & wiped with a T-shirt.  :embarrass:

I'm off to London tomorrow & will have lots of time to kill, so I'll go to the Widescreen centre & see if they've got any of the Baader fluid.  :D

Ken - Why the mix of Iso/water? Is there some reason not to use the Iso neat?
I use neat Iso to clean my camera chips all the time, with no ill effects.

David.

Offline Merlin66

• Poster God
  • Designed to Perfection
« Reply #13 on: 18:12:27, 19 June, 2012 »
Hmmm
Force of habit - twenty years experience......

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
« Reply #14 on: 09:52:29, 25 June, 2012 »
Just had a quick look through the 'ProntoMax' & it certainly looks better - maybe just because the image is a bit larger? And the focusser is a definite improvement.  :D

Somewhat hazy today, not the best conditions for imaging, so a side by side comparison will have to wait for some better weather.

On the plus side - there are a lot of decent proms around today.  :D

David.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook