Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: DLSR Astro software for android phones and tablets  (Read 13523 times)

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
    • Stoneage Observatory blog
Re: DLSR Astro software for android phones and tablets
« Reply #15 on: 22:28:35, 09 October, 2012 »
ok, like Simon I have successfully installed the app and it has not killed my phone ;) I don't have a suitable cable in stock right now so I will need to see if I can aquire one..

immediate thoughts are:
1. do you have to store the images on the phone?  SLRs output enormous files, the 1 or 2 GB micro sd cards that most phones ship with won't last long, the camera has its own storage, can you use that as the primary image storage?

2. when live view is activated can it be made full screen?

3. this has a lot of potential but it needs the intervalometer to be useful in astroimaging.  I don't imagine many people sitting there with a stop watch tapping the screen on their phone.

I always feel a bit bad when testing software like this!  You have put a great deal of effort into making something for what will be a limited audience which includes me and I feel like I am tearing it down!  This app has the potential to be really useful please keep going!

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #16 on: 04:35:30, 10 October, 2012 »
Cool!  Let the fun begin lol.

Si, if you want to keep it compact and you have a micro usb port, this adapter lets you use your existing usb cable:
http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-on-the-go-host-otg-adapter-pair-50774

You can find more local vendors, but dx.com is pretty reputable... although since they ship directly from China, it will take a while for shipping.

Ian, there should be an intervalometer button next to the shutter button.  It may well be you'll have to scroll to show it?  It's the one marked interval panel.  Click on the pic link I have in the post, that's a screen shot of all the buttons you should see.  The screen shot is from my 7" tablet, so obviously on the phone things will be more squished.  But the whole section to the right of the liveview should be scrollable, if there's not enough real estate on the phone to show all the buttons and such.

The other questions.

1. Nope, you don't have to download anything to the phone.  If you leave the "save capture" box unchecked, the pics will only be saved on the camera.  As a matter of fact, even if you do check the box, the pics will still be saved on the camera first, then copied to the chosen directory.  At some point I'll add more options, like erasing the pics from the camera after downloading to the device.

2.  Not currently, but very good suggestion for the smaller screens.  I'll add that to my to do list.

3. Oh, I answered that already lol.

Btw, don't worry about offering criticism, I'm more aware than anyone that this app not only has bugs, but its design has so far been driven by one person, me.  I want to reach a much larger audience with this, and although I know it will never be everything to everyone, I want it to satisfy the needs of as many as possible. 

So ALL criticism and suggestions are very much appreciated.  :-)

And also a big thank you for the encouragement!  :-)

Daniel

PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #17 on: 07:47:09, 10 October, 2012 »
Got it! Might just be me being dim but perhaps some sort of indicator to show that the panel is scrollable?

had a quick play with the intervalometer: when setting the various parameters it would be useful if there was a title to show which parameter you are in currently.. at the moment once you are in the numeric entry screen there is no indication as to which parameter is being set which, considering my goldfish envious memory, means I keep setting the wrong parameter.

I was thinking I might just make a cable, we have all sorts of cables at work so I'll do a cut and shut on 2 of them..

Offline dwango121

« Reply #18 on: 10:50:28, 10 October, 2012 »
Hi,

Pleased to confirm that the app downloads fine and picks up my 1100D on a ASUS Transformer pad tablet  :D.

Thanks,
Alan

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #19 on: 16:21:20, 10 October, 2012 »
Alan - what cable are you using as I have the same tablet ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline dwango121

« Reply #20 on: 19:43:55, 10 October, 2012 »
Hi, Just the standard USB cable that came with the camera and the tablet was docked into the keyboard. Hope this helps. Thanks Alan

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #21 on: 20:45:01, 10 October, 2012 »
 Great news Alan!  Let me know how the camera works with it, especially with that shutter delay issue I reported.

Ian, good points.  I have the scroll indicator on auto, so I thought android would show something if it needs to be scrolled, but alas it doesn't appear to.  I'll check into it, maybe I missed something in the code.

I'll also see what I can do about some sort of labeling of the field you are editing.  I know the keyboard can take up a lot of real estate on the smaller devices and I have issues with that myself on android apps.  I'll figure something out.

Ian, which phone do you have btw?

Glad to see the feedback gus, keep it coming.  :-)

PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #22 on: 23:47:13, 10 October, 2012 »
the phone running 4.03 is an htc hd2.. as I say the os it shipped with was awful so I hacked it..

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #23 on: 02:54:24, 11 October, 2012 »
 You're a better hacker than I am Ian.  :-)  Reason why I asked was to see which usb port type you have, and I see it's the same as the others, a micro USB type.  The link to the adapters I posted on the first page should work for you too and cheap as dirt.  Actually dx.com looks like it has a two for one deal, so you can either end up with a spare or go halfsies with someone.  At their price, it's even cheaper than dirt lol.  I have one of those at home and it works very well actually.  This way you can still use the original camera cable.  There is also a micro USB male (phone end) to mini usb male (camera end), but I haven't seen any of those in decent lengths:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Mini-B-5-Pin-male-to-Micro-5pin-male-Adapter-cable-/270803395745

Hope this helps.

PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #24 on: 05:18:22, 11 October, 2012 »
 Alrighty then, a couple of minor improvements.  One, I added a visible scrollbar when the views on the right hand side exceed the screen.  I made them reddish arrows.  I really need to finish styling the entire app in reddish hues to help with night vision.  On the list. ;-)
The other thing is I added a full screen button to the lower right hand side of the preview/liveview screen and moved the mode button to the upper right.  Press once and you go full screen, press the button again and it goes back to normal.

I'm putting the link in the first post to reflect the new app, and removing the old link from the post further down.  That way I eliminate confusion and dead links.  ;-)

Will continue with more fixes this weekend (lots of rain forecast) and enhancements, most notably the scripting engine.  That enhancement btw will also be useable as a multiple exposure bracketing as well.  Just do one shot of each exposure.  I'll give more details when I get it working.

Enjoy!  
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #25 on: 10:32:49, 11 October, 2012 »
Daniel - just to let you know (although I'm sure you've figured it out anyway) but I've made the topic sticky as I think this will be useful to quite a few people.  Not sure if it's in the right board yet so may move it but will keep it here for now !

Alan - thanks for you PM.... I too have the keyboard so will give that route a try now using the standard EOS cable.  The tablet itself only has a micro HDMI socket so now going to hunt for a suitable adapter if such a thing exists as I don't always have the keyboard attached so it would be good to just be able to use the tablet by itself !

Looking good Daniel... keep up the excellent work mate !

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #26 on: 11:27:08, 11 October, 2012 »
You're a better hacker than I am Ian.  :-)  Reason why I asked was to see which usb port type you have, and I see it's the same as the others, a micro USB type.  The link to the adapters I posted on the first page should work for you too and cheap as dirt.  Actually dx.com looks like it has a two for one deal, so you can either end up with a spare or go halfsies with someone.  At their price, it's even cheaper than dirt lol.  I have one of those at home and it works very well actually.  This way you can still use the original camera cable.  There is also a micro USB male (phone end) to mini usb male (camera end), but I haven't seen any of those in decent lengths:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Mini-B-5-Pin-male-to-Micro-5pin-male-Adapter-cable-/270803395745

Hope this helps.

I doubt I'm a better hacker... but I can follow instructions of t'internet.. and I enjoy soldering!  should be in a position to do some testing tonight assuming the little one goes to sleep at a sensible time..

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #27 on: 22:53:35, 11 October, 2012 »
Ah nuts, usb otg hasn't been enabled in any of the roms for the hd2 yet.. i'm afraid I can't actually test this out.. shame.

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #28 on: 02:39:38, 12 October, 2012 »
 Bummer.  I did find this one thread that lists a kernel with usb host support, but it appears you lose charging while the phone is on (not good).  Looks like they almost have that licked though:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1459999&page=29

A kernel update is very easy btw, if you have clockwork recovery, which I think that's how you install the os on your phone.

Crossing fingers for you that you get the update soon.
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #29 on: 05:00:20, 12 October, 2012 »
Ok, minor fix tonight, I think I got all the camera connect/disconnect use cases covered.  Let me know if you see any anomalies when disconnecting/reconnecting, stopping and resuming the app.  You can even disconnect the camera in the middle of a shot or liveview (not recommended though) and the app will just revert to showing you a "No Camera" text on a black screen.  If you start the app with no camera on it will show you the same screen, so don't panic if you don't see all the other panels; they stay hidden unless there is a connected camera to the app. 

The link will be updated in the first post.
PLEASE REMOVE ME

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook