Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: DLSR Astro software for android phones and tablets  (Read 12575 times)

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
    • Stoneage Observatory blog
Re: DLSR Astro software for android phones and tablets
« Reply #30 on: 09:54:44, 12 October, 2012 »
yeah, I saw that thread too, the no charging thing is a bit of an issue.. I have a couple of other HD2s knocking around, I might try it out on one of those before mucking about with the phone I am actually using at the moment..

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #31 on: 15:54:10, 12 October, 2012 »
 Oh man I wish I had a spare like that, I could make it my field device.  :-) 

Simon, I don't know how I missed you post my man, but thanks for making it a sticky, hope it helps a lot of folks.  Btw, would that adaptor in the link I posted not work?  It's a micro usb male to usb female.

PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #32 on: 16:05:18, 12 October, 2012 »
ask me nicely and maybe you can have one! (for a nominal fee)  I'm sure the cable would be fine, but I have already made one out of spares from work so I don't need to buy one ;) 

The OS hack for the HD2 requires a bit of time and concentration, i'll get round to it soonish..

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #33 on: 19:46:15, 14 October, 2012 »
Just had another thought, can you control the mirror lockup function?  I know on my 550d the mirror lockup requires two presses of the shutter release, one to lift the mirror, one to fire the shutter (on the older models you could set the shutter to trigger after a set time delay but not the 550d for some reason..) I know other software packages get around this double press requirement by using liveview to lift the mirror but that introduces a lot of thermal noise later in the runs, if you could put something together that allowed you to specify a time delayed mirror lockup and shutter release that would be cool.

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #34 on: 01:11:24, 15 October, 2012 »
Hmmm, that one might be tough.  I haven't seen a mirror up function in the api, but I may have missed it.  I may look into it again and see.  I'll add it to my to do list anyways.

Tbh though, most software I used (including Canon's windows stuff) doesn't actually have a lock up function, it's just set in the camera itself, as you noted.  I've not set that function in ages (I used to), ever since I saw a post that talked about how negligible that is on the overall image, especially if exposure times are minutes and the scope is pretty rigidly mounted.  I tried this experiment a long time ago:
Set the scope on a bright star
Set the exposure to one sec (no mirror lockup)
Take the shot remotely and look at the results.  If your kit is pretty secure, the effect on the star will be minimal if any, even at the longer focal lengths. Past about 2m fl or so, you may see something, but it's so brief, it'll get washed out in the overall exposure.

Just my thoughts.
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #35 on: 16:36:26, 15 October, 2012 »
For what's it's worth I agree with Daniel.... I never use mirror lock up as after doing some test on my setup I couldn't see a difference but that might not be the case if it's sat on a cheap tripod - although havign said that if it is on a chap tripod then camera shake due to mirror flick will be the least of the problems.

Daniel - yeap, that adapter would have done the trick but I'd already ordered a little adapter lead which works a treat.

Right - down to my testing... as already stated instalation went smoothly on both my phone and tablet.  Regarding usage however I've got a few issues but no time to explain them as I'm havin a mare with work/ill children.  In the meantime just quickly the button txt in the bottom section is white on my tablet but black (and therefore unreadable) on my phone (Samsung Galexy S2 [GT-I9100] running Android v 4.0.3).  Any clues ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #36 on: 18:48:27, 15 October, 2012 »
  That could well be down to the default theme used in the phone vs tablet Simon.  What I need to do is finish the custom style I started.  Custom styles specify everything from the text color to the look of buttons and such.  I made a partial start, but as you've noticed some things are still set to default.  Besides, I need to change the white text to something more eye saving like red.  ;-)

A bit of a progress report.  I was intending to post the interval list widget last night but there is still one bug in it, plus I don't have the save/load implemented, so it's pretty annoying having to create the eposure list from scratch every time you restart the app.  Maybe I'll get it done tonight. 

I'll also work on the text color issue asap.

Send me the other bugs when you get the chance.

PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #37 on: 17:54:26, 26 October, 2012 »
 Well, inching along with the effort.  I got the interval list widget almost beaten into submission... still some rough spots but I think it's at least useable now.  I'm also finishing creating a complete styling theme for the app, one that hopefully would make everything consistent no matter which android device you use.  It's a bit of a booger, android's not very informative on that part.  I will need some field testing from you guys.

Speaking of which... any success (or failure) in using the app to control your cameras?  Any issues?  I think I may be getting close to actually publish the app on the play store.  It will still be free of course.
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #38 on: 18:57:52, 26 October, 2012 »
bad news from me.. I tried the kernel patch for the hd2 and as I feared bricked the phone... I have a desire x on order which will arrive in the next couple of days, i'll try the app on that when it gets here..

Offline astro_andy

« Reply #39 on: 18:58:18, 26 October, 2012 »
I've managed to control my 40D & capture images using my Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean v4.1.2.

Great app - keep up the good work (please!)

Andy

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #40 on: 20:09:48, 26 October, 2012 »
to those using the app on their phones are you using powered usb hubs or are you connecting the phone directly to the camera?

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #41 on: 15:11:02, 27 October, 2012 »
Hey, sorry to hear about the bad news Ian, hope the new phone will do the trick.  Btw, if you guys hear anything about a cm9/cm10 or any ics upgrade for the droid X, shoot me a pm.  As much as I dread bricking my phone, I feel I need a phone device to test some of this stuff now, especially the theme changes I've made.  I tried the software simulator and besides being dog slow, nothing looks like it does on my tablet.  So I don't trust it much.

Btw Andy, great news, thanks for the info.  Did you try exposures of less than 4secs in bulb mode on yours?  I don't know if the 40D is likely to have that 4sec wait issue, would be good to know.  Like I said before, maybe it's just an issue with my camera.

PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline astro_andy

« Reply #42 on: 12:15:43, 28 October, 2012 »
Hi Daniel,

just tried setting for 2 x 2s exposures and got 2 x 3s exposures.

Also tried 2 x 1s exposures and got 2 x 2s exposures.

In fact I've found that all exposures (1s, 2s, 5s, 10s & 60s) are always over exposed by 1s.

Go figure!

HTH

Andy

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #43 on: 11:54:38, 29 October, 2012 »
interesting, when using my digital intervalometer on my 550d it always under exposes by one second!  I guess the cameras round to the nearest second..

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #44 on: 18:53:25, 01 November, 2012 »
 Aha!  Sounds like a bug to me.  ;-)  I'll look into this, but at least I'm happy that in bulb mode the 40D doesn't show the 4 sec issue.

Btw Ian, I managed to upgrade my old Droid to ICS (kinda like putting racing tires on a scooter lol) and I'm seeing the same issues you reported.  First, the color scheme is totally wrong, second the buttons take way too much screen space and third I can't see the camera.  :-(  About that last, I didn't use a powered hub, and wondering if I need one.  It won't recognize my flash drives either.

Anyways, been fighting the color scheme stuff and frankly it's got me bogged down.  I know how to use style sheets and google swares up and down that their "themes" act as cascading style sheets, but I have grave doubts.  But I will soldier on, even if I have to color every button and toggle by hand... which is a distinct possibility.  ;-)

So at least I have a sort of test mule for phones, something I needed badly.  I also lowered the min android version requirement, not sure if it will truly work for the pre 3.0 devices, but ya never know.  Anyways, no new updates yet, but will, I promise... just can't promise when at the moment.  Sorry about that.

PLEASE REMOVE ME

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook