Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: DLSR Astro software for android phones and tablets  (Read 11792 times)

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
Re: DLSR Astro software for android phones and tablets
« Reply #45 on: 04:56:27, 12 November, 2013 »
 So, in the never ending quest to actually complete this project... lol, just call me Dan.beta since that's probably where this thing will end up.

But anyhoo, playing with it and my 1100D, I just can't get the bulb exposure to work.  No idea why tbh, I tried just about every way I can think of and no dice.  So, in desperation, I ended up loading Magic Lantern to my camera, and it works very nicely!  But, I lost the ability to check the images as they're being created.  This comes in really handy as a spot check to see if the guiding is starting to go south... or north, east, or west lol. 

So I managed to add a monitor mode to the app.  All you need to do is start the app, set it in preview mode, then press on the monitor button (which will be lit), then connect to the camera.  Alternatively you can just connect to the camera and the app will start up, at which point you just need to make sure you're in preview mode and monitoring is on.  To help view the images, you can click on the full screen button to turn off the menus on the right.  Oh, and you can change the interval the monitor checks for new images, it's under the fstop.  It can vary from 5 sec to 300 sec I think.  I can add more intervals in there if you guys want, but under 5 sec it pings the camera quite often.

Oh and under Magic Lantern, when the long exposure bulb is on, the camera does not communicate, but it will as soon as the shot is done.  So if you plug the android app in during an exposure, you won't see any new images until the shot is done.  Then the app will automatically connect to the camera and load the latest image.

I did make some fixes... I think.  One is I fiddled with the exposure in bulb mode and I think I got it right.  Also, Si, I worked some more on the themes, but still not sure if the colors look correct on your phone tbh.  Who knows, maybe it works.  Also, I have an intervalometer working, which you can use to create multiple exposure batches (for only the dslrs that the bulb shutter works on, like the 1000D but not 1100D).  Also I think I made the camera connection code more reliable.

I'm updating the link in the first post to reflect this new c@rptastic feature filled app.  Lol

Hope this is in some way useful to you guys and gals.
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #46 on: 05:19:20, 27 November, 2013 »
 Ok, so for those who care, lol.  I got mad and did some coding in righteous anger.  ;-)  I managed to get the code working with the 1100D as well as improved some stability issues.  Still c@rptastic, but less c@rp lol.  I updated the link in the first post to reflect the newest version.

For those of you interested in hacking into lowish level software, Canon in their infinite wisdom changed the supported ptp commands somewhere between the 1000D and 1100D, especially the bulb commands.  So, with almost complete lack of documentation, I finally got it right.  And I still have some hair left, lol.

Btw, the constant monitor I added in the previous version now has to pause while the piccie is taken.  Then automatically resumes.  This is because the new way bulb works doesn't like any camera communication while it's busy taking a pic.  The old ones had no such problem.  Go figure, progress, right?

Enjoy.
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #47 on: 05:09:33, 28 November, 2013 »
 Some more bug fixes.  It's either code or freeze my dorsal area outside.  ;-)
PLEASE REMOVE ME

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook