Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: New Kid On The Block Seeks Advice  (Read 9134 times)

Offline Batman7617

• Starting Member
  • Ok . . . . a bit cheesy!
Re: New Kid On The Block Seeks Advice
« Reply #15 on: 13:12:08, 18 July, 2013 »
Cheers Chris, just saved me 75 quid :)

Is it the APT - Astro Photography Tool v2.20 for around £10 you are talking about?
Primary Scopes: Opticstar ED80 Gold, Skywatcher 150 MAK
Guidescope: Opticstar AR80S Guidescope
Mount: NEQ6 PRO
Cameras: AG-131M Coolair Guider, Canon EOS 600D

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #16 on: 13:54:43, 18 July, 2013 »
Yep thats the one. Link at the top of the Page.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
  • Making equipment is far more fun than buying it.
    • The Curdridge Observatory
« Reply #17 on: 14:17:38, 18 July, 2013 »
I've not had the mod done no . . .  I know this may sound a silly question but is there a major difference in having the camera filter modified?
I think it is generally recommended if you're looking for good results on red nebula with a DSLR

Or forget mod and filter, and put up with it whilst you save your pennies for a future cooled cCD cam

Tak Sky 90, Atik 490, Homemade Mount, OAG, Lodestar

The Curdridge Observatory

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #18 on: 14:38:30, 18 July, 2013 »
oh, and regards scopes, collimation issues not withstanding I think you'd be better off with one of those nice fast 8 inch newtonians with a coma corrector , both of which can be had together for the right side of £500, no further reducers required.

Here is my alternative shopping list

http://www.modernastronomy.com/telescopesGSO.htm#gso8f4   (with mpcc)
http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasGuider.html#QHY5L-II  (mono)
http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16468
http://www.modernastronomy.com/mounts.htm#eq6pro

which i think comes to £1826 leaving some pennies for camera modding or power tanks.

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #19 on: 15:14:33, 18 July, 2013 »
I have to differ slightly with Tom, the CLS in my opinion is a vital investment, unless you have pristine unpolluted skies, for me, using an un-modified 500D, it makes the difference between being able to shoot subs up to 8-10 minutes with the dslr, without the filter I can manage no more than 3-4 due to my local light pollution - I simply can't image without it!

If i was in your shoes Mike, I wouldn't worry too much about getting the camera modded just yet, until you really feel that it is restricting what you want to image, I get a pretty good red response from the 500D as is, take a look at the M42 image on my homepage ...

http://www.swashastro.co.uk/frontpage.html

Ade

Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #20 on: 16:27:52, 18 July, 2013 »
I have to agree with Ade too I'm afraid - the CLS filter makes a world of difference even with an unmodded DSLR (which mine is btw)... an unmodded DSLR is just as sensitive to street lights as a unmodded one is so you will suffer with it either way !!  Also you will be surprised what effect light pollution has on a 10 minute sub... so even though you think your area may not be that polluted rest assured you will be shocked when you see the effects "on film" so to speak.

I do agree though with Tom's (and Ade's) point about not spending the money on modding it and saving up for a cooled CCD as whilst the modding improves the sensitivity in the red end of the spectrum because the DSLR isn't cooled you will always suffer from thermal noise.

More food for thought...
S.

Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Batman7617

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:53:19, 18 July, 2013 »
Thanks Tom for the links, and thanks Ade for the advice on the camera.

I'm going to keep the EOS in its original glory and get some experience with it (and its still under warranty!)

The kit that Tom has kindly listed which comes to £1,470.00 for the scope, mount and coma corrector, i've had a look on some of the old ads on UK astrobuysell and for like 20-30% cheaper, i can get the same kit and . . . . I'll have around 600 quid in the bag.

You've probably heard this question a million times before but what is the advantage of the NEQ6 pro syncscan over the HEQ5 Pro, i know you have 7kg more to play with on the six but is that the only difference?

Offline Batman7617

• Starting Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:56:40, 18 July, 2013 »
Cheers Simon, the amount of food that is in thought right now I could have a banquet! lol

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #23 on: 17:02:41, 18 July, 2013 »
You've probably heard this question a million times before but what is the advantage of the NEQ6 pro syncscan over the HEQ5 Pro, i know you have 7kg more to play with on the six but is that the only difference?

Pretty much! the 6 is quite a bit heavier as a lump to move around however. The EQ mounts dont take too kindly to being overloaded so if you ever think you may need the extra load, then the 6 is a better bet from the start.

I have to say, attractive as a fast Newt might be, if you are going to be mobile part of the time, its would be fracs all the way if it were my money.
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Batman7617

• Starting Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:22:44, 18 July, 2013 »
Cheers Chris, I will be travelling quite a bit with the kit, I work in Oxford all week and travel home to Ellesmere Port at weekends, as well as scooting out to Uffington during the week and mid wales at the weekends so I have to bare in mind the mobility side of it, based on this and until which time I lay my hat (so to speak) I'll have to park the idea of a fast newt.

I'd like to get new, but I'm hoping to get a good condition second hand NEQ6 for around the £600 mark and hopefully get a decent 100mm APO for £500.00 as this will leave me a healthy budget for all the odds and sods I'm going to need, thing is, this is kit that can be retained through the future upgrade process too, when i do settle, I can get a fast newt and use the APO as my guider so nothing is wasted.

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #25 on: 17:28:03, 18 July, 2013 »

I have to say, attractive as a fast Newt might be, if you are going to be mobile part of the time, its would be fracs all the way if it were my money.

My way of looking at it is that the newt will take a bit longer to setup and twiddle with, but then an F4 newt will catch light and get you an image over twice as fast as a 7.5x0.85 frac. (please excuse my rough maths!) - making better use of our poor weather and being less effected by thermal noise on the DSLR camera.

And finally that newt isn't as big as it looks. I don't have any measurements but I'm guessing about 2.5 feet long.

Offline Batman7617

• Starting Member
« Reply #26 on: 17:42:30, 18 July, 2013 »
the 8" is around 800mm, the 10" is around a metre, thats based on the quattro's.

My 130P is longer than a 8"??

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #27 on: 18:30:52, 18 July, 2013 »
the focal length of an F4 8inch scope is 4x200 = 800mm, but that is the distance from the primary to the focus point outside the tube. Because of the right angle turn in the light path, the tube is actually a fair bit shorter.

For example, my F5 8inch OTA  (1000mm f.l.) is physically 900mm long so I'm guessing the GSO is a touch over 700mm long - about 2.5 feet , possibly a touch less.

An F7.5 80mm frac is of course going to be closer to 550mm assuming the dew shield comes off etc.

Naturally a  smaller aperture frac is going to be shorter, but it isn't perhaps as much as it looks in the photos.

Another downside of the Newt is that you'll have to budget for a decent cheshire http://www.firstlightoptics.com/collimation.html to be able to collimate the primary nice and quickly.

The inexpensive Newt is also not made from carbon fibre like the Quattros so more chance the focus will drift a bit with temperature - the frac will be much better in this regard.

In the winter I think dew can be an issue on fracs  - newtonians aren't free from dew issues either but fracs are more prone - but dew heaters are available - the frac people will know a great deal more about this than I do.

There is of course no wrong answer and no right answer, there are a myriad of different answers :) I'm just going for more speed at the cost of more hassle.

Offline Batman7617

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:40:35, 18 July, 2013 »
I could always sell the missus and get both!! :)

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #29 on: 18:51:49, 18 July, 2013 »
I could always sell the missus and get both!! :)

Cool idea - that will solve quite a few of the common problems that astronomy equipment in the domestic environment typically throws up.   :rofl: :rofl:

You could always store the frac inside the Newt OTA - she'd never notice!

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook