Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Interesting bit of kit  (Read 1677 times)

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
Interesting bit of kit
« on: 19:32:01, 08 August, 2013 »
  Not sure exactly where to put this thread, so here it goes lol.  Bumped into this on the Celestron site, maybe you guys have already seen it:

http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-accessories/general-accessories/celestronstarsenseaccessoryforautomaticalignment.cfm

I've been out of touch for the past few years and seem to be behind on a lot of astro developments.  Now, this may be a typical Celestron product, long in promise and a bit short on delivery, but it really does sound like a very interesting idea!  :-)

If I recall correctly, one of the things the eqmod software does is alignment using its own routines.  Back when I was developing the android Celestron hand controller I wanted to do the same thing, using some iterative matrix calculations.  But, this seems to go more towards software like TPoint I think, where it does essentially plate solves to calculate the transformation matrix.  I love this idea.

Actually, I could get excited enough about this idea to write something to take a star field image from a guide cam, plate solve it, update the pointing matrix, and iterate again until some optimum model accuracy is obtained.  That would've fixed my last imaging session where I totally missed M8 and imaged some obscure nebula instead lol.

What do you guys think?  Has this been already done (ok other than maybe TPoint)?  Is there an open software effort for it?  Is it worth doing? 
What about this particular accessory?

I know, I was excited about the NexGuide too before I started working with it.  ;)
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Re: Interesting bit of kit
« Reply #1 on: 20:26:54, 08 August, 2013 »
Daniel

Not too sure how it does it. The SkyX AllSky star database to do blind plate solves is >2Gb but having collected 30-40 samples it gives leverages TPoint to give instruction of how many clicks to adjust Alt and Az to align the RA axis with the refracted pole. I just can't see this little bit of kit doing the same thing in 2minutes. Mmm

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #2 on: 22:22:24, 08 August, 2013 »
 I know, I'm a bit of a skeptic on this also.  But they do say you can do iterative point and solve to get a very accurate model, just by blind pointing all over the sky.

Btw to you and anyone really, I've seen AstroTortilla mentioned repeatedly over the years as one of the best for plate solving.  I tried and tried but never could get anything but that searching square moving all over the place and no solution at the end.  Astrometry.net though works really well for me.  Has anyone gotten AstroTortilla to work?
PLEASE REMOVE ME

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
« Reply #3 on: 08:23:36, 09 August, 2013 »
Daniel, I do know people who use AstroTortilla with success.
And also I do now the guys who wrote the software (they still haven't convinced me to try it).
These guys are very helpful so I'm sure it'll work for you too.

Have you looked at the FAQ/discussion pages ?
http://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/home/FAQ/
http://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/discussion/
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline dciobota

• Daniel
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #4 on: 17:06:18, 09 August, 2013 »
 Hey, thanks for those links Tapio!  I'll have a look at them when I get home.  I'm very interested in getting AstroTortilla to work as the Astrometry.net results are very good, surprisingly good in fact for blind solving.
PLEASE REMOVE ME

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook